1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog light wiring harness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dgooden8, Aug 19, 2007.

1. dgooden8

dgooden8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello all, I have a 2007 Prius, package #2. I really wished that I had of gotten a higher package, but I have added the hid headlights and wish to add foglights. A prius member helped be to understand how to removed the end grills where the foglights go. I bought the fog lights on ebay that were oem replacement lamps but included no wiring. I then ordered the grill ends with the holes in them for the fog lights including the switch from toyota that I was going to put in one of the knock out on the dash. However once the grill ends came off, the housing was there built into the bumper from the lights but there is no wiring harness. Has anyone had this problem and if so is there any website or supplier to order the wiring harness? I have took the car to a after market shop who wants $300.00 to build and install the wiring harness and lights. This seems a little steep. Could anyone help? Thanks, Dana

2. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I intend to make my own harness but it's low on my to-do list right now, also way too hot for me outside or in the garage. So far I have mounted the fog lights and installed the new grill sections. Also installed pigtails to the lamps so they would be weatherproof until I do the rest. I thought the fog light switch was part of the headlamp stalk on the steering column. What switch did you buy and does it fit in the dash where the blanks are? Before I continue I need to decide if I want to buy the Toyota relay and run the harness similar to what Toyota does, or use a cheaper relay and a more direct wiring path. I do plan on having the auto-off lights feature of the car also turn off the fogs. When I get to it I would be glad to share with you. I think one of the reasons I put it low on my list was that others have posted that they thought the fogs were of poor light quality.

3. artrockets

artrockets Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wiring harness isn't going to consist of much. The plugs will the valuable parts but I plan to just make my own by running my own wire and relay etc.. My fear is having to take too much of my car apart to lay the wire. I haven't inspected how/where to run it yet..

[​IMG]

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As a owner with stock fog lights, why waste your time? You can get better aftermarket light kits with better light distribution, and they include relays, wiring, etc. If you want a stock look, use the OEM switch, but the lights themselves are worthless. Go aftermarket.

5. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^ exactly what he said.

6. dgooden8

dgooden8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 23 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]501168[/snapback]</div>
    I did purchase the oem, 3'' aftermarket fog lights , however they did not come with the wiring harness nor the relay, the only fog lights that I have come across in a package are the larger ones that don't look stock. I also purchased a toyota switch that will fit in one of the knockouts in the dash. The challange I have now is do I spend $300 for a shop(that's what they quoted me) or just wait hoping someone else may have another cheaper option.

7. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgooden8 @ Aug 24 2007, 07:03 PM) [snapback]501789[/snapback]</div>
    I ask again, did you find a switch that fits where one of the blanks(knockouts) are, or is it one that you have to mount into the blank? If it replaces the blank and fits properly, I would like a source to buy it from. Thanks.

That seems steep to me too if they are just adding a relay and running a wiring harness to the dash for the switch, and to the battery or fuse panel for the lamps. Mounting the fog lights in place and the new grills is a "snap". :rolleyes: It also depends on your skill level and if you feel that maybe you can do it yourself. Ask around for referrals to other shops for a price. I just ordered the Toyota fog light relay today to use with mine.

8. dgooden8

dgooden8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Aug 24 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]501819[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, fl buckeye, I didn't get back with you sooner about the source of the switch. The switch I got was on ebay, do a search for toyota fog light switch and that's where I found it. Sorry I don't remember the exact source. If you can't find it that way let me know and I'll look on the invoice if I can find it. It does go in the knock out to the left of the steering wheel, it doesn't fit perfectly but it is close enough. How much was your toyota relay? Also I may just put the lights in the bumper and add the grills I got from toyota for the time being. Thanks and again my appology for not getting back with you sooner on the switch. Dana

9. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, no appology needed. The Toyota relay was $25 with shipping, on eBay too. May have been from the same place as where you got the switch. The switches I saw looked too tall for the opening. You can get a generic relay for under $10, but I want to mount it where the factory relay would have been and don't think the generic would fit.

If you haven't looked yet, as shown in artrockets picture, you will have to remove the back part where the lamp assembly mounts. It just has a couple of tabs to twist or cut. And I left the lamp in the assembly so dirt would not get inside. I also bought pigtails to plug into the lamps to protect its sockets.

When I get further I can PM you with my info.

Later

10. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    At that price could'nt you get another kit off ebay with wiring?

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ordered a pair of fog lamps from China via Ebay to replace a broken lamp on my Prius. They came with wiring, connectors plugs, relays switch, bulbs and "plastic housings to fit another model Toyota" for £46 and free postage. Toyota price for 1 lamp was £84 on it's own. Companies name was Neverland.2x 12V Front Fog Lights Spot Lamps Kit For Toyota Echo Vela Prius Highlander

John (Britprius)