1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog lights 12V & ignition wires location

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by car2lvr, Jun 9, 2009.

1. car2lvr

car2lvr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know the location where I can tap a constant 12V and ignition on the driver side cabin? I know the constant 12V in the hood. I'm installing an aftermarket fog lights with the OEM bumper fog lights grill rings. Thanks.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Take a look at the CoastalEtech "Power Outlet Mod instructions:

http://www.coastaletech.com/power_outlet_mod.htm

The accessory plug circuit is limited to 15 amps so I suggest that you use a solenoid to supply the actual lamp current.

JeffD

3. Raider

Raider New Member

I've worked on some cars where the accessories wires passing through the firewall were poorly installed and the wires were on the verge of grounding out on the chassis, possibly leading to an electrical fire.

Instead of running a +12v lead from the interior to the relay to activate the fog light relay, I would recommend running a ground wire from your interior mounted switch. (Grounding the relay instead of sending +12v.)

This will avoid looking for any other +12v sources.

4. Raider

Raider New Member

This will also keep the relay fuse and fog light power fuse together with the other fuses in the engine compartment.

5. car2lvr

car2lvr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found unused harness by the driver side vent with 18/16 gauge wire and it supplies +12V ignition. I just tap it there with a fuse.