1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lights - How to improve

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FJRCRAZED, Oct 18, 2006.

1. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Yesterday was the 1st time in 6 months I tried using the fog lights. The only thing I can say is, what a joke. The lights on my Tundra are 4X brighter. How can I improve them? Switch it a higher output bulb?

2. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This may be a slightly controversial topic. IMHO fog lights ought to be useable without the main headlights if you get too much backscatter from the latter. The current model US Prius does not offer that. Also the beam should be 'cut off' very low. That yellow light was the best used to be generally accepted, but apparently that is no longer the case.

You preferred another set 4x brighter, so you may want them to perform a different task. Some would say that fog lights are for going 15 mph when you can't see anything but backscatter otherwise. I added fog lights on a separate electrical circuit to 2001 Prius and on such rare ocassions, they perform well for me. They are also handy for driving around campgrounds at night when you don't want to disturb everybody else.

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I converted my fogs to HID. That greatly improved their usefulness. You can also do a quick mod so that you can use the fogs without the headlights. You can read about what I did in my PriusChat thread or my website. Both links are in my signature.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They are just secondary driving lights, something that used to be rather common back before halogens. So with their return, people naturally have the expectation for them to work like fogs. They obviously don't. And yes, you can aftermarket upgrade to genuine fog lights.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 18 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]334640[/snapback]</div>
    That is sorta true. Problem is that Toyota labels them as "Fog Lights," and that is why I expected them to operate like fogs. I know I can add aftermarket fogs (my Explorer had 10 extra lights, nearly 1000 watts of light), but when Toyota itself calls them fog lights...

7. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 18 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]334700[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you said it. My Tacoma had fogs and so does my Tundra. The "Fog" lights on the Prius are pretty lame to say the least. Their not what I consider fog lights.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 18 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]334700[/snapback]</div>
    That exceeds the legal on-road limit here in Minnesota by quite a bit. I think 300 is the most allowed.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just to shift some blame, in most jurastictions headlamps must be on if "fog" or "driving" lights are on. If the police are on the ball you WILL get ticketed if just the "fog"/"driving" lights are on. I've read many posts on other forums of people who moded their switching for fog/driving "on" without headlamps getting ticketed and a "fix it or loose it" notice. So Toyota (and Nissan, and Subaru, and Mazda - in my experience) have wired the vehicle correctly.

True "fog" lamps are yellow (or maybe I'm just old) because it scatters least for the light provided in fog. Laws need to be re-written to allow proper 45/55W yellow fogs only. They are also aimed a little lower than the low beams of headlamps.

Now in Euope, the term "fog lamp" often refers to one very bright yellow lamp on the -centre rear- of the vehicle. These will auto dim and/or flash under certain conditions (and I can't elaborate because I can't remember them). We imported several Mazda RX-8 rear fog lamps and controls for several customers in the US from Japan. Never heard if they had to modify them though. In other words, never heard if they got caught. ;)

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To make my stock fog lights brighter, I took out each of the bulbs and replaced them with a candle-lantern from my backpacking days.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Oct 18 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]334746[/snapback]</div>
    Not to mention the Matrix foglights are really nice too!

Either upgrade them to HiR lights or do a conversion to HIDs like DocVijay. You shouldn't have problem with glare since they are foglights and are aimed down towards the near foreground.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 18 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]334778[/snapback]</div>
    Rear foglights are red and are usually one (but sometimes two in the case of the Prius or S40) and are fairly bright (almost like brake lights).

Don't forget that Audis have DRLs that use the foglights and parking/taillights so I think they're legal in Canada. The Murano and Navigator also use their foglights as DRLs. So they can drive with their parking/taillights and foglights legally given the setup of the vehicle.

And yeah, I heard true foglights are yellow. It's probably a better term to call the Prius ones driving lights or auxiliary lights cause they're more of "can you see me" than "I can see you"

12. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 18 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]334764[/snapback]</div>
    300??? I guess I'm getting a ticket if I visit Minnesota. I have 65/85 in my normal lights 55's in my fogs and KC 150 watt daylighters on my front grill. I never use the KC's unless I'm the only one on a back country road. Nothing like seeing a mile ahead of you. These are on my Tundra. I wonder how the KC's would look on the wifes Prius???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 18 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]334782[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 18 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]334782[/snapback]</div>
    Were those a direct fit, or did you have to make an adapter? I seem to recall they run on a different voltage. :p

Tom

14. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 18 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]334782[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PintoGirl -

Funny - - NOT!

B)

15. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My 2006 is a package #5 so it didn't come with the fogs...... but up here we have very foggy/cloudy days and nights when fog lights are really needed. I would almost think to advertise them as fog lights, if indeed they are only intended as suplimental driving lights could creat an enormous amount of liability. If I got stuck on a lonly mountain road in a cloud at night, turned on the fogs and couldn't see and ran off a cliff in reliance on Toyota calling them fog lights, somebody's in trouble.....(actually, if I just went off a cliff, it would probably be me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

but i agree that from what I've seen, DocVijay had a good mod to increase the viability of using the fogs as intended.