1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lights: Install [Retrofit] fog lights on 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius_in_Paradise, Jun 2, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - Would like Fog Lights that are not available with my Prius configuration.

78.9%
  2. No - I do not care about Fog Lights.

2.6%
  3. No - But I do not like the rubber "blanks" in the front bumper where the fog lights would be.

14.6%
  4. N/A - My Prius is configuration V [1229] and comes with fog lights.

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prius_in_Paradise

Prius_in_Paradise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fog lights are standard on the 2010 Prius V [1229].
    Fog lights are not available in any other configuration.
    Can I install [retrofit] fog lights on a 2010 Prius IV [1227]?
    If yes, can you estimate the cost?
    Thank you.
    Prius_in_Paradise
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

[Opinion: I have never liked blanks on instrument panels where there would otherwise be optional buttons. I do not like the rubber “blanks†on the front bumper in place of the fog lights. I do not “need†the fog lights. However, I do not like the rubber circles in place of the fog lights.]

5 people like this.
  2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If there were a "friendly" way to approach this, I'd consider installing them with a switch mounted in one of the knock outs to the left of the steering column.

I'll look @ my Prius IV to see if there's any wiring available or if we'd be pulling our own.

1 person likes this.
  3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recommend getting the brightest legal aftermarked fog lights available. They come in small round sizes that should be easy to adapt to the cutouts in the gray fog bezels. I would add a simple dash switch, but if we find the wiring is already in place, then the benefit of replacing the light control stock becomes much greater.

Normally, I would bet that the wiring would be in place, as it would be more efficient for Toyota to manufacture a single variety of wiring harness for the car to accomodate all options; however, with the ATP, and the fact that Fog Lights and LED headlamps are only available in package V, it makes me wonder is there was economic justification to have type 1 and type 2 harnesses in this case. I guess it is time for the 2 day $15 document subscription. Need the wiring diagrams for connecting my DRL turn signal module anyway.

I think another excellent project will be to move the Seat Heater switches up to the blank where the Parking Assist button would go in the cluster of switches below and to the right of the steering column. At least I think it was for Parking Assist, or maybe LKA. There is a cluster of 4 switch locations with three of them populated.

1 person likes this.
  4. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where/how does one get a shop manual/diagrams for the 2010?

5. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any new info on this subject?

Danny, there would be a lot of interest in this Mod......

Lee:cool:

1 person likes this.
  6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to go to the Toyota Technical Information System (TIS) site and subscribe:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...Oc%3d&TARGET=$SM$https://techinfo.toyota.com/

I don't know what the current pricing is, but you can subscribe for as little as one day. To get the most for your money, you'd sign up for a day that you have a lot of free time, and then download as much of the manuals that you can. Be sure to download the Owner's Manual too, as a PDF of the Owner's Manual is often a lot easier to use than your hard copy because you can do word and phrase searches.

1 person likes this.
  7. Starky

Starky Prius fan

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Currently the standard subscription for TIS is $15 for 2 days and $75 a month. It is $35 for security professionals for 2 days...but that is another story.

Regards,

8. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if this is still the case, but it had been said before that if you subscribed on Friday, your "DAY" ended on Monday.

9. William B. Kayen

William B. Kayen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope Doug is listening. I am ready to get a Gen III Prius as soon as I can get fog lamps with a package IV. If not the Volkswagon Jetta TDI as well as the near future Audi A3 TDI are both striking my interest. I hope Toyota will listen and respond as they have in the past.

10. Hfxbouy

Hfxbouy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Given all the talk on Daytime Running Lights, you could set these up with an Auto switch or DTR option and draw in more customers.
    I'm in.

11. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota has to be getting a lot of flack for no fog light accessory to buy with such a butt-ugly grey "plug" where fog lights should be! I'd suspect the wiring is there, but they are holding back to force fog light buyers to consider the advanced tech package.

The other thing I can't understand is why there are no mudflaps or wheel well liners to cover those ugly areas as well!:eek:

12. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would imagine it would not be much harder to fabricate your own fog light kit. I did this on our '08 and it looks stock and functions perfectly. I would imagine obtaining parts would be the hardest part since the model is so new.

13. CASUMIK

CASUMIK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    has anyone gotten hold of the wiring diagram. Please let me know. I am going down to my dealer to talk to one of the mechanics there as surely they will know if the wires are there in the front bumper and waiting. I spoke to parts and they can order everything need as far as the lamps,new inserts to replace the knockouts and of course a new stalk(all the above from the prius v).the wiring harness would be the major catch. Replacing the stalk would be the most stock way to go. All of the above estimated about 5-600 dollars i would suspect.

14. Crazyhorse6901

Crazyhorse6901 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I really don't understand why LED and Fog Lights don't come standard in all Prius models, I ordered the Prius IV and now I am waiting for the aftermarket parts so I can have these two features installed, I would have spent the extra cash for the Prius V but wouldn't you know, no moonroof:mad:.

:peace::peace:B)

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Missing an option from the poll
    Where is,
    I am outside North America and I get fog lights even on the base model.

It looks like fog lights are shaping up as the disc rear brakes and height adjustable seat of the 2010 model year.
    People who know me know what I'm talking about.

16. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,

Long time lurker and my very first post! :) FYI - Sigma Automotive has OEM foglights available for our cars for $450.00 for the pair including the stalk switch or $350.00 for the just the foglamps alone. Hope this helps!!

6 people like this.
  17. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  18. CASUMIK

CASUMIK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    omg, thanks for the info on the fog lights, i had never heard of sigma, and they also carry replacement logos for those of us that dont like the blue glowing t logo. Silver looked nice, thanks!

19. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm tempted by the gold logos, but since the AT package apparently uses a different front emblem (for the radar), I'd have to somehow confirm whether there was a version that worked with that.

20. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.