1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lights not on with light switch in park mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by eddie27970, Sep 29, 2011.

1. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just discovered today (after driving my Prius since 2006) the Fog Lights are Not on when light switch in park position. In fact, there are not any lights on in the front of the car when light switch in park mode. :confused:

North Carolina has a law to burn headlights when using windshield wipers. The HID lights seem to draw from the High Voltage batteries. So, I've been putting the light switch in the park mode .....thinking the fog lights would be on. (Yes, I have the fog light switch in the on position.) There is not any lights on in the front of the car when switch is in the park mode. Man! You don't know how many rain storms I've been in, thinking the Fog Lights were on. ...even meeting Highway Patrol coming at me, and they never pulled me over, adding to my thinking I was burning the Fog Lights without the HID lights on. OH, Wooooeeeessss Meeeee:eek:

Has anyone rewired anything to make some lights on in the front of the car when in the light switch in the park position?

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can turn mine off but when they are turned on they only operate when low beams are on! Hal

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fog lights only operate when the headlights are on and on low beam.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ehh... If it's raining, use your low beams! Your fogs should be used in foggy conditions when you need light that is low to the ground, under the fog/mist. (Nevermind that the 2G Prius' fogs aren't that great but that's a whole different matter).

US law dictates that the fogs must come on with the low beams. You should have parking lights (the amber ones on the side) when you turn to the parking light position on the headlight stalk.

The low beams draw from the 12V accessory battery, not the high voltage battery.

5. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is a simple one

the park setting on your lights is to turn your parking lights on only
    this should mean you are parked, not driving

parking lights are specific lights that are meant to show other drivers that you are in fact parked and not moving - although few people seem to know that anymore

your front marker lights should be on in park mode

the NC law probly applies to cars driving on public roads, so the requirement would likely not apply if you are parked -- and few people would have teh ipers on when parked

WHY, oh why, would you ever be driving with your lights in "park"? The setting in fact is called "park"!

Why would you rewire a system that makes sense, if used correctly? And meets all Federal laws?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the scenario. For us in Canada, we have DRLs but some times the sun angle is low enough that I want my taillights on as well so that people behind me can see me even though the sun is in their face so I'd drive with the parking lights on (DRLs are still on)

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is illegal in the U.S. to drive with only fog lights. Because of this the fog lights only come on when the headlamps are turned on.

Tom

8. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thing about the lights on/wipers on laws is that no one ever enforces them. After all, who wants to get out of the car in the rain?

This is not the case. As you're aware there are no national operating standards, just manufacturer standards. In NJ, operation of just the fog lamps is legal as long as they are visible from 500' in normal conditions.

I had a 90 Pontiac Grand Prix which had yellow fog lights that could be operated independent of the headlights. They are the only useful fog lights I've ever had on a car, due to the aiming, color, and ability to turn off the main lights. The ones on the Prius just make things worse, like the people who turn on the high beams in fog..

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So it is only illegal to manufacture or sell a vehicle that has fog lights that are independent of low beams, not illegal to operate such a vehicle in federal law. (it is subject to local law)

Similar to HID conversion kits being illegal to manufacture or sell in the US, but only illegal to operate if they violate local law.

10. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you turned your lights on, you would have tail lights

11. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In many states it is illegal to drive with your parking lights on so just turn your headlights on when it rains. Heaven forbid you are ever in an accident where this is a factor - I know that I would never get past the guilt if anyone was hurt.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I know, I'm just saying that's another use for parking lights because we have DRLs to supplement the taillights. If you didn't, I'd definitely turn on the low beams in the scenario I described above because it's hard to see with the low sun angle.

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If someone could be so kind as to explain the difference between white fog lights, white parking lights, and white driving lights. I know they were implemented at different times for different conditions, but now that we've got all of them they seem to me to all be basically the same.

Using white fog lights as driving lights sounds like a good thing. OK, maybe the fog lights are mounted low, but say I moved them up higher. Would they still only be fog lights?

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well driving lights and foglights on a Prius can be used interchangeable mostly because the "foglights" don't really work well as foglights (The distribution doesn't seem to be that great and they work well as a "can you see me?" light to oncoming traffic). Foglights are mounted low to illuminate the road "under" the fog. If you shine a light through the water droplets in the fog, you'll just get a white wall of light.

parking lights are small, 5W bulbs that serve to make your vehicle visible from the side (in addition to the amber and red reflectors). On your 2006 Prius, they're the bulbs that are behind the amber reflectors in the front.that is visible from the side and from the front. On the 2010, we have two sets (a forward facing and a side facing bulb).

The term parking lights possibly came from the fact that in Europe, there are many narrow alleys and streets and the idea was if you were to park your car on the street, you had to illuminate the parking lights so that people navigating the dark streets can see your car. They're left on all night (they consume very little power). The side facing traffic is the one that's illuminated (you have a choice of illuminating one side of the car on the lighting switch/dial).

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]
    Fog Lights aim at the ground, under fog (add to low beams)
    [​IMG]
    Driving lights aim to infinity to find obstructions while you can still stop (add to high beams)

Parking lights tend to be amber in front, red in back of car and not focused into the plane of travel. (since you are not supposed to be traveling)

[​IMG]
    Comparison of beam patterns

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct. State law regulates traffic law and equipment, but state law is generally based on national standards. I should have said that it is illegal in states following the national standard, which is most of them. There are exceptions.

Tom

17. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    another use for parking lights? sure, but not a correct one.
    1) you aren't parked, therefore "parking lights" would not be appropriate
    2) and just turning on your lights does what you want it to do, without the danger of anyone thinking you are parked, plus your headlights are now on full and make you more visable to other traffic, so there isn't a reason to not do it the right way.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, clearly you're a Yes or No / Black or White kinda guy so we'll leave it at that.

19. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is plenty of grey in the world. However, it doesn't make sense to use somehing for something it was not designed for and then get cranky when it doesn't do what it isn't supposed to do. Especially when its intended use/purpose is actually included in its name! That is insane!

20. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    also know that by using the lights incorrectly, you are creating a road hazard for others
    when you put your parking lights on, that isn't meant to help you, it is meant to help the other drivers on the roadway identify your car as parked, and not moving - even though there is an occupant. You now create confusion if you drive with the parking lights on. And, at least in CA you can be cited for driving with your parking lights on, although I doubt many people are
    V C Section 24800 Lighted Parking Lamps
    I would guess most states have similar laws