1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Foley Cover Up

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, Oct 24, 2006.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

From FreeNewMexican

Top congressional Republican testifies before panel investigating sex scandal
    print | email this story

By LARRY MARGASAK | Associated Press
    October 24, 2006
    WASHINGTON (AP) - The top Republican in Congress sat down Tuesday with a panel investigating when he and his staff learned that another Republican congressman had sent illicit messages to male teenage assistants and what they did to stop it.

The scandal over Congressman Mark Foley's sexually explicit messages to the assistants, called pages, has hurt Republican prospects of retaining control of Congress in the Nov. 7 elections.

Speaker Dennis Hastert, the top Republican in the House of Representatives, and his staff have provided a timeline of events that conflicts with the accounts of others. Hastert has said that he didn't find out about Foley until late September, when Foley resigned after his approaches to former pages became public.

Hastert's appearance followed that of Congressman Tom Reynolds, the House Republican election campaign chairman, who said he warned Hastert about Foley last spring.

Hastert has said he did not recall that conversation. He also has been unable to recall speaking with Majority Leader John Boehner, the No. 2 Republican in the House, about Foley last spring, although Boehner says Hastert even told him the matter was being handled.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

"Repubs having trouble lying together"

By "lying", do you mean "being horizontal" or "telling the truth"?

... And by Cover Up, do you mean the covers on the bed, or the hiding of the truth?

Because if it's the first, I don't think they have any trouble at all covering up & lying together. :)

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

The double meaning was intended. Glad you enjoyed it.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Oct 25 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]337933[/snapback]</div>
    And lets us say Kumbaya and pass the ...

How do you guys feel about Harry Reid or William Jefferson - not clinton - the guy with the $100k in his fridge - did he resign :lol: i dont think so - he's a dem - dems gather round their wrong-doers - no ethics at all. at least foley is doing the right thing. did foley lie under oath? and by the way - did the page bring forth charges? is there evidence of physical contact??

5. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 25 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]337977[/snapback]</div>
    Considering the OP isn't about Foley's actual behavior, but how the republican leadership is answering questions about how they handled the situation, the issue of whether Foley has been charged with anything is irrelevant. As for Harry Reid and William Jefferson, neither of them has been charged with anything, either.

Jefferson has been under investigation for 18 months, but no charges have yet been brought. He was stripped of his assignment on the House Ways and Means Committee on June 16 after refusing to step down. If he's indicted, he should resign. Just like Tom DeLay should have resigned once he was indicted.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

No matter how bad it gets for Republicans, just rest in the comfort that the democrats will always have Cynthia McKinney on their team.

I'm not sure who exemplifies women in politics better... McKinney or Hillary. But, hey... Why argue over which one since they both belong to team Democrat.

By the way, for anyone who missed the invitation, today is punch your capitol hill policeman day. Sock it to 'em..

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 25 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]338001[/snapback]</div>
    And your opinion on good old Harry Reid please. I sure wish I could do what he did.

And what are they investigating with WJ - unless of course he traded in his food stamps for cash :lol: Seems to me pretty open and closed - obviously he is entitled to a trial etc - but jeeeez - come on. who does he think he is barry bonds or kenny rogers :D

8. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 25 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]338024[/snapback]</div>
    I have 100k in my freezer marked as "Fish". I don't see what the big deal is here. Ok, so a few pictures of the cash changing hands don't make the frozen cash look any better, and I'm sure every other congressman who makes about 150k a year has a whole year salary in cash in the freezer marked as fish.

Why have money in a bank when you can just go to the freezer and start unwrapping fish. No ATM fees or stinky questions from the IRS or anything.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Oct 25 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]338025[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 25 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]338001[/snapback]</div>
    Any smearing to make the dems look good & feel better about themselves...

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Oct 25 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]338022[/snapback]</div>
    So all women in politics are bad? Or just all women Democrats? Just looking for clarification.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 25 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]338024[/snapback]</div>
    I've said elsewhere that Harry Reid should step down from his leadership position while being investigated. Just as Jefferson should have stepped down (rather than being removed) from his committee. Just as Tom DeLay should have stepped down. Equality across the board. You're under investigation, you should step down from whatever leadership position or committee membership you hold. If indicted for something, you should resign. Period.
    It does seem like it should be open & shut with Dollar Bill Jefferson. Especially since a few of his aides have pleaded guilty. Why no charges have been brought in 18 months is beyond me.

How do you feel about how the Republican leadership is handling the Foley investigation, since that's what the original post was about? The way they've responded to it gives the appearance that they're trying to cover their backsides. Congressmen are contradicting each other on the time line, Speaker Hastert has said he doesn't recall a conversation another Republican said happened. Whether intentional or not, it looks bad. Just like it looked bad when Clinton said "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is". Discussing Foley himself, Harry Reid, Dollar Bill, Tom DeLay, etc. is away from the point.

What do you think of how the leadership is handling things?

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 25 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]338056[/snapback]</div>
    I am disappointed in the leadership for many reasons beyond this foley thing. If he knew and ignored it i will want to know why. i do not think he has to step down over this at this time - and there would have to be solid evidence that he did know and helped him cover up his "schtick"

I am disappointed that they have failed to ; control spending, that they have failed to fix social security, that they have failed to handle iraq properly [to lose the pr war, not to increase the levels of us troops there and the oversize of the military], they have failed to pursue each and every member of the house who is guilty of crimes and misdemeanors aggressively, to fix our tax problem [flat tax, get rid of the irs], etc, etc.

All that being said, as a former Democrat who is now a conservative, i will probably end up voting for a republican candidate for president at this point whoever that might be in light of the potential democratic nominees - except lieberman.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Oct 25 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]338022[/snapback]</div>
    You are a bit tardy in the current events department. She lost in the primary elections on Aug 8, 2006.

Cynthia McKinney Loses Runoff for Georgia Seat

Congressman Jefferson has lost the party endorsement and is likely to meet the same fate on November 7, 2006. There are no primary elections in Louisiana; if no one gets 50% of the vote plus one in the general elections, the top two finishers, regardless of party affiliation, meet in the runoff four weeks later.

14. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 25 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]338156[/snapback]</div>
    Not to worry, they both still claim to be democrat.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Oct, 05:06 PM) [snapback]338281[/snapback]</div>
    I see. If one Democrat smacks a policeman, that makes us all culpable. Got it.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't forget Gerry Studds! Admits to having sex with 17 year old page and defends it. Stands with his back towards the members Congress as they censured him 420-3. Some say it was because he was facing the Speaker, IMO that's a stretch. Protocol demands that the guilty face the accusers and in this case for the person censured to face the people doing the censuring. Studds never apologizes although he did admit it was inappropriate to engage in a relationship with a subordinate and a serious error he never says he was sorry. What does the democratic party do? The democratic leadership takes away Studds chairmanship of the House Merchant Marine Subcommittee and then later appoints him chair of the House Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries. Talk about a 'flip-flop' LOL! So you Dem's don't have a lot of room to cast dispersions or to vomit forth your mock outrage. At least the Republicans did the right thing and asked him to leave. While the Dem's rewarded even worse behavior than what Foley is guilty of doing.

What is even more hypocritical is the Dem's outrage that the Republican leadership knew of this behavior and did nothing about it for a period of time. In effect saying that homosexuals should not be allowed around or in leadership positions over younger persons because we all know what deviants and corrupters of our children’s morals they are! Who can deny this example of hypocritical bigotry from the far left loony liberal democratic party? While the Republican’s claim to have a “moral compass†which sometimes goes awry the democratic party seems to revel in the notion that a “spinning top†is a better symbol to use. Oh well politics as usual and at its finest. I hate election time. :angry: But I have a feeling I'll like the results. :p

Wildkow

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 25 2006, 09:01 PM) [snapback]338411[/snapback]</div>
    The culpability they or you have is in condoning the behavior if any. On the other hand there is also blame to bear for not firmly condemning the behavior. Tell me which behavior was worse Mckinney's, Foley's or Studd's? In my book and I think you would agree it would have to be . . .

1) McKinney (physical violence)
    2) Studd's (sex with a subordinate)
    3) Foley (communication of a sexual nature over the internet with a person under the age of 18)

Don't you think it right that all three lose their positions? Yet it did not happen that way and the fake outrage from the Left has incised the Right to a point that now they have to respond in . . . in . . .oh well you get the idea. The downward spiral tightens and politics gets a little uglier and grows less effective day by day.

Some times the people have got to get up and lead. Hopefully the leaders will set aside their pettiness and get up to follow.

Wildkow

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 25 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]338056[/snapback]</div>
    I must say the Dem’s can stumble into situations that tend to make them look like shrewd political statesmen at times. They maneuvered the GOP’s into a position between a rock and a hard spot or more appropriately the Sword of Damocles and kept them there for X years. If indeed that is the true story. Look at it this way. Foley is a homosexual so if they (GOP) would have ousted him can you have imagined the outrage and condemnation from Dem's about the GOP being Homophobe’s? I mean after all Studds (an admitted homosexual) actually had sex with a 17 year old Page and went on to a long and some would say fruitful career in politics. All Foley allegedly did was send suggestive text messages of a sexual nature to someone under the age of 18. So not wanting to appear homophobic they did nothing. I am of the opinion that from a political standpoint they did OK, sometimes the cards just don’t flop right and sometimes you got to know when to hold’em and know when to fold’em or better yet know when to walk away. My Mama used to always tell me walk don’t run in the House. Seems some Gopper’s should have listened to their Mama’s cause right now they appear to be scattering like rats on a sinking ship. So if you had been in the GOP how would you have handled it? Remember we’re talking politics here.

Wildkow

p.s. I would have said “Yep, we knew about it X years ago and we have been keeping a close eye on Rep. Foley as have our counterparts the Democrat’s who were made aware of the situation. Due to legal reasons we were not comfortable with or allowed to reveal this situation to the public at large. The communications Rep. Foley had with the Page are questionable and we will investigate and reveal our findings forthwith. Thank you and God Bless America. So simple, now the GOP look like deer caught in the headlights. :blink:

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 26 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]338411[/snapback]</div>
    Why not the dems do it to the other parties every day.. :rolleyes:

The way I look at it, Clinton has opened the door by not getting in trouble for mouth massages in the oval office & he didnt get into trouble for getting involved with the other women. And the country was ok with all of it, most even defended him.. (double Standard) :rolleyes:

For more info on historic presidential scandals :eek: :blink: :huh: : http://www.who2.com/hailtothesheets.html

Well said :)

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 26 2006, 05:04 AM) [snapback]338472[/snapback]</div>
    What Democrats were told ?
    What legal reasons forced you to keep it under wraps ? Let me guess: national security

As for your drivel about trying not to appear homophobic, that is just funny.