1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Folks, I need help & 2001 battery advice

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by OhioBE, Jan 19, 2010.

1. OhioBE

OhioBE New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I am in a predicament like many here. I have an '01 Prius with 115k on it (second owner). Same thing happened to me, warning lights with no code...the dealership re-set and sent me on my way. About 100 miles later as I exit the freeway, it seems that the parking brake is on somehow with high sounding engine. When I turn off the car it goes away (fri). Monday it does it again at the exact same freeway off ramp, within a same evening time frame almost to the hour, and goes away when I turn off the car.

The dealer was able to detect codes now: but I am being treated poorly and rather unintelligently. They are not returning my phone calls and I am no longer confident in their abilities or expert opinions.

Please help me arm myself with questions so that I am not "had" for a $3,700 battery replacement.

I'm working 3 PT jobs right now and doing my best, but this is too much financially after being laid off for 16 months and working anything I can.

What I have gathered is that I need to ask about the two components (the ECM computer and??) that support the battery and see if that is the trouble...

See if I can find a used battery at salvage, or try to purchase a reman'd perhaps off ebay.

I am in Columbus, Ohio and a little too nervous to change out the battery myself, but would trust a rec'd mechanic or other experienced folks in my area.

What else should I be asking the dealer? How else can I possibly do extra legwork to save any money but still ensure I am safe?

As a female working 3 jobs, I'm concerned about being stranded on a freeway in an Ohio winter. Triple A is my friend, lol, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. But, I need my car to work as soon as possible.

If all goes well, I hope to have a full time job and be replacing the car in 5 years.

Please help me to be smart about this.

Thank you in advance!

Feel free to PM me for email or phone

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Number one, you need to get the codes, they tell you what the car thinks is wrong.
    Be alert to what else may be wrong, some times the 12 volt battery going bad drains the HV Battery.
    I do not know mechanics in Ohio, but here is a database of mechanics car owners like.
    Car Talk. Car tips, advice, and troubleshooting. | Mechanics Files

Here is a rebuilt Gen I battery using Gen II cells on ebay.
    01-03 Toyota Prius Upgraded HV Hybrid Battery Pack : eBay Motors (item 130359969815 end time Jan-27-10 17:11:33 PST)
    (If you get the car to NC they will install it)

1 person likes this.
  3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were in such situation, I replace failed Prius with low cost used vehicle.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  4. Otis

Otis New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your symptoms are the same as what I had when my 2001 failed at 70K miles. It runs fine for awhile, then the brake light comes on and simultaneously the engine becomes erratic (continually revving in my case). I was "worried" it was the computer but instead it's simply a failed battery, a much more expensive fix.

Considering that the base battery is $2300 but the total bill for the replacement is $3700, this is a labor intensive replacement. Not something I would consider doing myself... not that I had the choice since my Prius was already at the dealer when I got the diagnosis.

For 2004 and on, the hybrid battery is warranted for 10 years. For 2001, just 8 years so you and I are out of luck. I say this isn't right. The few 2001 owners are early adopters who helped get the brand going in this country. How hard would it be to cover us under the same warranty as the later buyers?

1 person likes this.
  5. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It certainly sounds like a bad battery issue, but as others have mentioned, codes help a lot.

If it is indeed the battery and you cannot afford to replace it, then I concur also that if I were in your shoes I'd probably sell the Prius on Craigslist or something and find some place that can finance me a replacement vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  6. OhioBE

OhioBE New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update:
    the dealership is not returning phone calls

I'll add more when I get more info

7. ScottE

ScottE New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are much greater experts on this site than me, but I am in the middle of a similar experience and feel your pain. Hopefully you can get something out of my experience (the long story being in the Bad '01 Battery? Or not? ) thread.

The basics are this:
    1) Try your darndest to get the codes and post them on this site. Call the sales department if you have to...
    2) Work on an alternative transportation scheme. Your problem with revving engine, brake lights, etc... is described very well here Luscious Garage | Blog | Gen 1 Prius Battery Failure, P3006 . It happened to me once, and the car never started again. You could very easily end up stranded.
    3) MSRP for a brand new battery is $2299. Labor seems to be typically around $500. There is a toyota press release indicating the $2299 price Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Price Reduction On Prius Hybrid Batteries / Toyota. Many dealers will discount that - especially as an internet sale. I am getting mine from a local dealer in Philadelphia for $1701 Conicelli Parts Center . I would suggest going to Toyota.com and using their dealer locator - try to find a dealer you can get to that has an internet web sale site. Shipping could be between $100 and $500 depending on how they are shipped, and if the dealer will even ship them, so it's much better if you can find something local. Champion Toyota in Houston has one for $1747 Champion ToyotaWorld . The point is, if you're lucky, you can get your costs down to about $2300 if that is your only problem. Sometimes the 12V battery just needs to be changed. Other people know about that better than I.

4) Call Toyota Customer Experience at 1-800-331-4331 and let them know that the dealer is being... well, you know. Tell them you want the codes immediately and some resolution because you're worried about being stranded in the cold while missing your next job (or something like that). They actually came through for me with some $$, but that may be for other reasons. Remember too that you are upset with the dealership, not the person at Customer Relations, so if you happen to be a volatile person, keep that in mind on the phone...

5) I've heard (though not yet experienced) that Toyota gives you $200 - $300 to take back your battery. I don't know for sure, but if true that could help with the sting.

6) I've been out of work for 7 months with no work at all. Financially bad, but at least I had time to do lots of "homework" on this issue and save myself quite a few bucks. I hope this long post helps somewhat with that homework.

Now that I'm up to 120K miles on my Prius, I agree with others on this thread. If financial resources are limited, it may be best to get a high mileage, highly reliable car that everybody can work on. I'm hoping to get another 100 K miles out of mine, but some other high value part could go at anytime.

I think somebody else posted links for a Re-Involt rebuilt battery in NC. Maybe they can give you a better idea of shipping costs for batteries, and maybe you can interest them in buying your Prius as is if you can't afford the repair (no experience here, just guessing). Good luck.

Scott

1 person likes this.
  8. OhioBE

OhioBE New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the dealer was no help...I found another dealer about 80 miles away that will do a new battery for about $500 less than what mine quoted.

I also found a salvage battery for $500 and a local shop who can install it. It has 80,000 miles on and is a local Ohio battery. I have a hold on that. In the meantime, I am waiting on a toyota care rep to call me back and I'm crossing my fingers that maybe I can negotiate a 50/50 cost split on a new one.

If a $700 total repair can get me through another 24 months, it's worth it. Salvage battery has 120 days on it, and the guy will gar. his labor.

The person filing my case pretty much read from a quote stating how grateful toyota is for first adopters (read guinea pigs, lol.) We'll see if it means anything.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hold the old battery in case bad modules are discovered in the salvage. It is possible to mix-and-match modules ... within limits. We've had two reports of 'success' and one of failure. So just be prepared. We can walk you through the procedure.

Before the old battery is installed, ask the installer to remove the case and do a visual inspection and then measure all module voltages starting with #1 by the control electronics. A quick survey can avoid having to rip it out again later. It also gives you' all a chance to check the buss bars for corrosion.

Bob Wilson