1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Follow the money.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Haliburton moving to Dubai

"The much-maligned defense contractor Halliburton is moving its corporate headquarters from Houston to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates."

I imagine the tax breaks are going to be obscenely profitable.

Iraqi Oil Agreements

"This law sanctions contracts between Iraq's individual regions and foreign oil companies. It effectively puts an end to a nationalized petroleum industry that has provided most of the country's revenue. Over time, the oil revenues might sustain an independent Kurdistan, along with a Shia state, and a Sunni state (though the Sunnis don't have much oil, at least among the known Iraqi reserves). The law sets up a system that opens the door for foreign companies to make the country's oil policy. A new federal Oil and Gas Council is to assist the Council of Ministers, "in coordination with the producing provinces and regions." This council is to include the prime minister and other cabinet members, directors of the central bank, representatives from the various regions, and "executive managers from important related petroleum companies, including the national Iraqi oil company and the oil marketing company.""

"While the deal, on its face, splits up control of Iraq's oil among Kurds, Shia and Sunnis, the real power remains in the hands of international companies that will craft contracts with Iraq's regional entities and put up most or all of the money for exploration, development of infrastructure, and actual production, primarily through financial devices known as production sharing agreements. These agreements, which are not widely used in the industry, typically involve a public and a private partner, and stipulate that oil revenue will first go to the private partner to cover expenses and exploration costs. In Iraq, those costs are likely to be considerable since the industrial infrastructure will have to be rebuilt in many areas and much of the country's oil has not yet been mapped. Arguments between the parties will be settled by tribunals outside Iraq."

Corporatism? What's another name for that? (hint: google Mussolini)

Gee, I wonder who the might be. I wonder if they are in the MotherJones timeline.

Mother Jones timeline of lies

August, 199
    President George H.W. Bush justifies deployment of U.S. forces in Saudi Arabia, to deter a possible attack by Iraqi forces, by saying, "Our nation now imports nearly half the oil it consumes and could face a major threat to its economic independence." Then-Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney warns that Saddam, once having acquired control over Kuwait, "would be in a position to be able to dictate the future of worldwide energy policy, and that [would give] him a stranglehold on our economy."

March 7, 1992
    The New York Times publishes portions of a high-level Defense Department policy paper written by Paul Wolfowitz and his assistants and intended for top Pentagon officials, including Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney. Called the "Defense Planning Guidance for the Fiscal Years 1994-1999," the paper argues that while the United States cannot correct every wrong in the world, it must correct those that threaten US interests and the interests of US allies. It says, "Various types of US interests may be involved in such instances: access to vital raw materials, primarily Persian Gulf oil; proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles, [and] threats to US citizens from terrorism or regional or local conflict. Furthermore, the US must sufficiently account for the interests of the advanced industrial nations to discourage them from challenging our leadership or seeking to overturn the established political and economic order."

June 23, 1998
    At a "Collateral Damage Conference" hosted by the Cato Institute, Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney says, "The good Lord didn't see fit to put oil and gas only where there are democratically elected regimes friendly to the United States. Occasionally we have to operate in places where, all things considered, one would not normally choose to go. But, we go where the business is."

2/14/2001

Exxon vice president James Rouse meets with Dick Cheney's task force on energy policy. It was the first meeting in which, according to a White House document later discovered by the Washington Post, oil executives "gave detailed energy policy recommendations" to the White House.

March 5, 2001
    A Pentagon document dated March 5, 2001 and titled "Foreign Suitors for Iraqi Oilfield Contracts" includes a map of areas for potential exploration. It is brought to light by Ron Suskind in his book "The Price of Loyalty." "It talks about contractors around the world from, you know, 30-40 countries," Suskind will tell CBS. "And which ones have what intentions on oil in Iraq."

3/21/2001
    Chairman of Conoco Archie Dunham meets with Cheney's energy task force.

3/22/2001

Energy task force staffers meet with BP regional president Bob Malone, BP chief economist Peter Davies and two BP employees.

4/12/2001

Conoco offical Alan Huffman and officials from US Oils and Gas Associatoin meet with Cheney's energy task force, Huffman will later confirm the meeting, saying "We met in teh Executive Office Building, if I remember correctly."

4/17/2001

Royal Dutch/Shell Group chairman Sir Mark Moody-Stuart and Shell Oil chirman Steven Miller meet with task force staffers.

This is all prior to 9/11

March 27, 2003
    Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz tells Congress that Iraq's oil revenues "could bring between $50 and $100 billion over the course of the next two or three years... We're dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon."

May 22, 2003
    Bush signs Executive Order No. 13303, granting immunity to oil companies.

And now Oil companies will be negotiating contracts and sitting on the boards in Iraq.

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Gah, makes me want to wretch!

3. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 11 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]404025[/snapback]</div>

You make it sound like its horrible - that major oil companies are just going to pillage Iraq. Take emotions out the picture, and read the wording carefully.

Honest Americans and Europeans are going to work hard in Iraq to develop its resources. As part of that development, these companies will develop the infrastructure for their operating benefit as well as the benefit of the people of Iraq. And yes, these companies will make a fair return for their stockholders- that's people like you and me.

Most importantly, these companies will have very transparent transactions. Every single penny of expenditures will be accounted for. It will be clear how much profit they are making - and the Iraqis will be vigorous in making sure that they get the best deal possible.

In total, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

In terms of meeting with the Vice-President regarding energy policy: What's wrong with that? Who should he talk to? Major oil companies certainly understand the business better than most people. Of course, he should also get other points of view - and not just theirs. However, the implication that talking to oil companies is a bad idea, is poor logic. That's like saying when he wants to talk about health care policy he should not talk to the American Medical Association because it's such a conflict of interest.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 12 2007, 04:39 AM) [snapback]404130[/snapback]</div>

It all sounds good in theory. It better after they spent so much on think tanks to come up with the spin. Unfortunately it rarely seems to work out that way. We can barely manage our own country let alone a 130 others that we occupy.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 12 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]404130[/snapback]</div>
    also talk of major gas find in kurdish portion of iraq which looks like it will be developed - bring some energy income to a portion of iraq that has very little now.

iraqi's (read - not saddam, not chirac, no food for oil scandal) stand to make a fortune from thier natural resources - what is wrong with that.

Q? why is george soros (aka mr.moveon.org) buying a large % of halliburton? :p

imagine a democratic iraq that actually shares its energy wealth with its people instead of the royal family or some two bit dictator?

and try not to logic with the left when it comes to "rights" like health care for all.

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Mar 12 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]404147[/snapback]</div>
    Let's see. After receiving $21 BILLION in U.S. government contracts, overcharging the government, providing inadequate services, Halliburton is moving to Dubai, to UAE, a country with which we have no extradition treaty. Guess that out to keep all their people safer from investigation. And, well, this ought to make Dubai happy. They didn't get our ports; they just got the supply of our army instead. <_<

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Mar 12 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]404231[/snapback]</div>
    u have such a + outlook on life.

what does soros think about this?

i would move to dubai too if i were them - toooo many nutjobs here in the USofA - at least in dubai they can just care of business. bet soros was probably behind it to get a better return on his investment. btw - did he invest in [hot]air america :blink:

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's really rather amusing. After half a decade of heaping contempt and disgust onto Halliburton, the "Anti-Big-Oil" crowd is all upset that they're leaving town.

9. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Mar 12 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]404248[/snapback]</div>
    I just prefer to have my military-contractor corruption in-country, where it can be prosecuted. We Chicagoans like our corruption close to home; it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy. :p

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Mar 12 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]404248[/snapback]</div>
    Does someone really need to point out the meaning of the term "Un-American"?
    Good riddance tax dodging traitors.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Mar 12 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]404266[/snapback]</div>
    having gone to school there you are correct - city of corruption, city of the dead voting - you hit the nail on the head. was enron's hq there? :rolleyes:

12. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 12 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]404337[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, Halliburton's HQ is in the home state of our corrupter-in-chief, Houston, TX. :) Mind you, I do wish they were headquartered here, as Fitzgerald is too and now that he's done with Scooter I'd love to see him delve into Halliburton.

And our voting shennanigans pale to what the GOP accomplished in Florida and Ohio in voting and with the sale of our government to the oil lobby in general. It's not that I don't expect corruption in government, I just expect a miniscule dosage of competence to be ladled out with all that pork. When the incompetence grows too big, time to slap their hands and investigate them.

"I have had considerable experience in letting public contracts, and I have never yet found a contractor who, if not watched, would not leave the Government holding the bag. We are doing him a favor if we do not watch him."--Harry S. Truman

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Mar 12 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]404362[/snapback]</div>
    It's called decentralization of corruption. Halliburton in Texas, Bush Jr. in D.C. and Diebold in Ohio. LOL

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 12 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]404130[/snapback]</div>
    Says who? (see Enron) Haliburton? (see rotten food, missing supplies, overruns, etc.)

Says who? They will do whatever is directly related to getting the oil out of the ground and out of the country. They have no obligation to see that the lights are on or the water runs anywhere except for their own employees on their own property for their own purposes.

Says who? And not me, because I don't own Oil stock. (I also don't own stock in tobacco.) But I have no doubts their stockholders will make money hand over fist. But the Iraqi people won't see so much.

Says who? The only thing transparent will be the windows of the Humvees once the dust is washed off.

Says who? They can't even account for every penny here. They can't even explain their pricing structure. And if Haliburton is involved, well, NO.

Other points of view. Well he'll say...I talked to Shell, BP, Exxon. I got other points of view.

It's like asking the Fox to draft policy on the operations of the Henhouse.

Except that the American Medical Association wasn't writing the new Medicare Prescription Drug plan...the Pharmeceutical Industry was. See the logic now?

15. Mirza

Mirza New Member

John's post gets the "biggest joke post award of the year." Thanks for the laugh!

It's amazing how some choose to worship corruption. Perhaps you need to THINK for once.

16. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Lets see let me consult with the guys that are so dependent on one single source of income, to help with the creation of an energy plan that helps the *entire* country. Yes Oil companies only have the well being of the nation and the global citizen in mind...bah! They are beholden to share holder value, a term I have come to *lurve* while in the clutches of Computer Associates. They are just like any other large industry, that is too big, too complacent and too depended on a single source of revenue generation. It is all about the share holders and the stock price, nothing, absolutely nothing else matters. It doesn't even matter how you increase the share holder value, as long as you can present higher earnings at the next board meeting.

...and don't think I am just singling out the oil companies, they are all rotten, the whole lot of them! :eek:

Lets not forget that the oil companies are the ones telling YOU that gasoline is the ONLY choice you have to power your car. So what do you think they will recommend to secure the energy future of this country? Soy? Solar? Lets see what areas do they have developed, no long need to make expensive investments and can claim without doubt, they have the leading expertise... OIL! Its sound business.

Cheney only met with the Big Oil Comps, no other group was admitted (NRDC, Sierra, etc. were all ignored)

Wanna bet what Cheney's next job will be? Board of Directors Chair at Haliburton with a big, super fat platinum parachute, just a little thank you gift for watching their back for 8 years.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 12 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]404627[/snapback]</div>
    And the bonuses. Don't forget the bonuses.

18. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't mind a healthy debate of the issue and its merits.

But just mudslinging and insults - really don't add anything.

My position stands - Oil companies (most anyway) are made up of honest working people - trying to maximize value for customers, their shareholders and themselves. This is as it should be in any capitalist system. They definitely have a place at the policy table - of course they are proponents of their own agenda: that is as it should be. It is up to policy makers to get all valid opinions and make the best decision for our society.

If you are not happy that fuel consumption in our country stinks or that we are not doing anything to address global warming - then look at our elected officials for that function.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 13 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]404741[/snapback]</div>
    you need to get used to the insults and mudslinging - thats what happens here when they realize that their constructs are false.

I agree with you and believe the energy companies are made up of honest hard working people serving a useful function in our capitalistic society.

They also want to short-circuit the concept of the marketplace in any form including elections - if their viewpoints or opinions are as valid as they believe, then they should win the day in the marketplace of free ideas and exchanges. the fact they want to rule by judicial fiat or via ?minority rights says all you need to know about their operating systems and the hollowness of their constructs. a bunch of specious individuals longing for the 60's

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 13 2007, 02:59 AM) [snapback]404741[/snapback]</div>
    So you don't believe in corruption?

People (corporate officals or government officials) who are making large sums of money usually don't like to take a paycheck hit just to save a little biodiversity or a few people. Love Canal??

Maybe you should read The Bush Agenda, When Corporations Rule the World or Crimes Against Nature and see the capitalist system for what it truely is. Smithfield Foods donating millions of dollars to the Bush campaign in an effort to secure their interests is NOT a good thing. Just ask the rural farmers how they feel about capitalism and their trampled constitutional rights. No, capitalism has taken a turn for the worse and people are suffering while a small percentage get extremely wealthy and powerful and directly perpetuate the division in wealth equality in the U.S..