1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Follow up on changing the PSD fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hdrygas, Aug 28, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I posted some time ago ( at my 30k service) about changing the PSD fluid. I was having the service done at a local shop not the dealer and he recommended changing the fluid, but the dealer (reads service advisor or parts person) talked him out of it. Told him dark was OK. At any rate I did not do it. I had my steering recall done today with my 35k service and had Ifixem check the fluid and he suggested I replace it. Cost me 42.50. He showed me the new fluid clear with an unusual odor, the old fluid was a deep purple color, and the odor was a paraffin odor. Not burnt but very different. I think I made the right choice 50 bucks is cheep piece of mind and fluid are cheep compared to labor and parts. I am going to change every 30k.

2. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 28 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]310769[/snapback]</div>
    That's a damn good price for having that done. I thought the fluid alone was that much.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 28 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]310769[/snapback]</div>
    Bob Wilson is studying this issue:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html

I did a PSD fluid change at 61,000 miles in my 2004 Prius and testing determined that it was just about used up. The dealer charged me $79 for the job (including about $45 for the type WS fluid - this is a special fluid that is new to the 2004+ models, I hope you used the correct fluid).

JeffD

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The new Toyota type W (or WS) fluid is backward compatible to 2001-2003 Prius, which came supplied with Toyota type IV. I changed to type W about one month ago and seeing an apparent improvement in fuel economy as a result.

Bob's research (referred to above) suggests that trans fluid changes are an appropriate precaution, and while you're at it, might as well switch to the W.

By the way I am very interested in whether others also improve mpg after this change.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep type W. I think the dealer is very good as dealers go. I had to get up in the middle of the night to go in to the hospital and left there at 7:15 or so to get the car there by 8:00. I did not bring my own Mobile 1 and had to ask them to use theirs they charged me with in a buck of what I pay at Costco at the 12 pack price. I will drag the bill out of the glove box and check. No change in MPG yet but then I have only gone 25 miles ;-)

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To clarify, 2004 and later Prius come with type W fluid. It is only in the case of classic Prius 'moving up' that we might see a change in fuel economy.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I just found the latest Castrol ATF is Toyota Type T-IV rated. Not WS for the new generation but for the Classic. Cheaper than from Toyota retail. Note: this is not an endorsement.