1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Food for thought

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, May 26, 2007.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Consider this: Much was made of Toyota selling more vehicles than GM world-wide in the first quarter of 2007. In 9 out of the top 10 automobile markets in the world GM beats Toyota head-to-head. The lone spot where Toyota beats GM head-to-head in sales: of course Japan, where GM and other foreign companies are not really allowed to compete. ;) In Japan Toyota sold around 3.5 million vehicles and GM sold almost 0.

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Hmmm where's VOLTY he could answer this one lol

GM is a loser if anything besides a Toyota It would be a FORD I would choose so again gm lost another sale

DARN hahahahah

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

What's the matter- can't convince those Japanese to buy Escalades and Hummers?

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 26 2007, 06:34 AM) [snapback]450360[/snapback]</div>
    Or GM should market such stellar automobiles like the Chevy Vega and Chevette or the Cadillac Cimarron in Japan.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 26 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]450419[/snapback]</div>
    ouch!

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

As a previous Vega owner, let me tell you the congress of the United States would have to do what I want, when I want and where I declare before I'd hand over my hard earned cash to GM ever again in my lifetime. (Or, as an alternative, GM would have to refund my full purchase price plus interest for the intervening decades before they'd get another chance with my cash). So you see, their short term profit cost the company the loyalty of me and anyone I can dissuade from purchasing their product for A LIFETIME. I hope they thoroughly enjoyed the joke they marketed to me, I'm sure laughing now.

Sincerely, THOUGHTFUL Loyal Quality Toyota Driver

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 26 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]450337[/snapback]</div>
    Can you provide substantiation that foreign companies are not allowed to compete in Japan?
    Last I heard GM refused to build vehicles that were drivers side on the right.

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 26 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]450439[/snapback]</div>
    Don't feel bad- my father actually bought a Pontiac Astre, which was the same as a Vega except more expensive. He had the POS a short time when he had to bring it to the dealer because the flywheel broke. And when the dealer had the car, they dropped the car off the lift and tried to fix the dents without telling him (he only found out because he stopped by the dealer before the car was ready and saw it it the shop). That of course has nothing to do with the quality of the car, but might say something about GM dealers.

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I think GM could have been pretty successful selling the Geo Prizm, or the Pontiac Vibe in Japan.

;)

10. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 26 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]450527[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in Japan, there is a vehicle known as the Toyota Cavalier:
    [​IMG]
    And no, that's not a Photochop. Though it's not my picture, I had seen several when I made a port call in Japan. They were Cavaliers, but on they all had a TOYOTA badge on the trunk.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 26 2007, 05:15 AM) [snapback]450337[/snapback]</div>
    Consider this: GM dismantled public transportation in the USA so that people would have to buy cars, leading to traffic-congested cities and pollution-clogged air.

Consider this: When CARB required auto makers to make a few ZEV cars, GM complied at first, demonstrating that the technology exists and they were perfectly capable of building a car they could have sold in much greater numbers, judging by all the people who wanted the EV1 but were turned away, and then GM sued the state to overturn the CARB regulations, and having done that, they took back all the EV1s, in spite of the fact that most of the owners wanted to buy them. GM refused to sell the cars to their owners, and eventually crushed the cars.

If I used the proper English words to describe the dishonesty, greed, and vile malevolence of GM and its executives, I would be banned from PC.

All businesses are in business to make money. Including Toyota. But GM makes Ted Bundy look like the Sisters of Mercy by comparison. GM makes Congress look honest. GM makes Scrooge, before his Christmas conversion, look like a philanthropist.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 26 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]450605[/snapback]</div>
    LOL.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 26 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]450606[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I can vouch for ozyran's photo. Toyota did have a rebadged Cavalier called.. well the Toyota Cavalier.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 26 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]450337[/snapback]</div>
    They're allowed to "compete". They just have to produce what the Japanese are willing to buy.....not try to convince them to buy what GM wants to sell.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 26 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]450534[/snapback]</div>

Ooo. Ooo. Do tell. What happened?

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This might apply to GM, as well as to Ford:

"Sometimes we seek to be understood, more than we seek to understand."
    --Alan Mulally

-------

Vega-wise...how about this one:

[attachmentid=8357]

Gotta give 'em credit for doing something like this, when they did.

Attached Files:

15. priussoris

priussoris New Member

That would be one sweet Vega to own then and Now.
    I have seen 1 on ebay for 7k it was showroom condition .