1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Food for thought

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by billynjoanna, Sep 11, 2007.

1. billynjoanna

billynjoanna New Member

Someone at work had the pleasure of getting a speeding ticket today. So, while we were talking and making fun of them I ask the question "If driving your car over the posted speed limit will get you a ticket and 75mph or whatever the highest mph is in the US why does the car companies make cars that will do 140mph".
    My thought was if car companies made cars that only did the max speed limit it would mean that we would use less gas, cars would last longer, and high speed wrecks would be less to happen.
    But, that would also mean that gas companies would make less money, the car companies would sell less replacement parts and the government (state and local) would loss the money they make on speeding tickets.
    I not saying there is a big conspiracy or anything but, I think it would help us all if cars where made to go just a little slower.

Will

2. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

In Europe just recently they were considering forcing car makers to limit the speed of all new cars to 80 mph or something, exactly for that very reason - less polution. Most people however feel funny about limiting their rights/freedoms, so that proposal failed miserably.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In answer to the title, because they can and because it sells cars.
    People who feel inadequate in themselves like to own fast cars, they connect things like dignity to their car. A confident person would never feel shame at owning a small or slower car.

4. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to live in Oklahoma where we get lots of tornadoes.. You REALLY don't want to be driving a car that has a speed limiter when trying to outrun one of those funnel clouds. :p

5. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 11 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]510751[/snapback]</div>
    Thats a horrible stereotype, no bettter than any other racial or sexist stereotype. Maybe it's true for some people, Im sure it is, but many people just love the sport. Ive been an avid race car fan all my life, I love racing on the track and I enjoy driving a fast car on the street. Its nothing to do with confidence.

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I find it is best to use almost any possession to less than its capacity for long life. If cars were made so that they were at their maximum capacity at the speed limit, I would assume that they would have SHORTER lives.

What I think is foolish is people who insist on using their things to the maximum and then wearing them out prematurely. But that is their right if they do not violate the law or my rights in the process. It is a deleicate balance, but one which we live with daily.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Sep 11 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]510794[/snapback]</div>
    The OP made no suggestion to design cars to run at their maximum capacity, but suggested cars be limited to a maximum speed. This would also enforce your idea for making them last longer.

As for individual rights, I fully agree: a person should be able to drive a car just as fast as he wants as long as it is being driven on private property. As soon as you pull onto a public road, your rights as an individual must be subjugated to the rights of society. It's the same reason I can't target shoot in my back yard inside the village limits.

Tom

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 11 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]510798[/snapback]</div>
    "legally" :lol:
    I work with electrical engineers. At a meeting once, someone asked if they could power "this" with "that" supply. Almost simultaneously a handful of engineers said, "not for long."

As for limiters on vehicles, is it truly a God-given and self-evident right to drive a car at 100+ MPH? Really? The law says that the speed limit is 55 but we hold this truth to be self-evident: I can drive 105 in my Prius.

In my opinion, the government has the responsibility of protecting the citizenry and is that means busting drunk drivers, I'm all for it. If that requires people to wear the seatsbelts the manufacturers were forced to put in their cars, I'm in favor of it. If that means testing cars for emissions and discontinuing leaded gasoline then I don't have a problem with it. And if it means that thousands of drivers will not be killed when cars' speed is limited, I think the government should have the ability to make it happen.

9. ohershey

ohershey New Member

While I am not fundamentally opposed to the concept of speed limits, I can personally remember at least two occasions (one involving a tire bouncing down a freeway, and one involving a County Sheriff doing 100+ in the fast lane with his lights on), where a quick burst of speed and power enabled me to extract myself from a bad situation with minimal danger and disruption to other drivers. This is actually on of the things I dislike about the Prius - it, by it's design and nature, doesn't have the power reserves of a bigger (Straight 6, V6, V8) engine.

[Soapbox]
    Just because some people a jerks, and abuse their toys, doesn't make it okay to take the toys away from the rest of us. Give them tickets, take their license, and, eventually, put them in jail. Don't punish everyone else.
    [/Soapbox]

10. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JustLurkin @ Sep 11 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]510759[/snapback]</div>
    or when you're wife's in labor

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Sep 11 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]510838[/snapback]</div>
    In which case it would be kind of a shame if you crashed at high speed and killed both her and the baby, no?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JustLurkin @ Sep 11 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]510759[/snapback]</div>
    And in the case of tornados, the last thing you try to do is try to out-run it! A supercell with high crosswinds is no place to be doing 100+. Do yourself a favor: get out of the car and take cover. A ditch, a highway overpass, the inner-most room of a strong building...all far better than your car. Not everything you see in the movie "Twister" is a good idea. Heck, I think it even worked out badly for them.

12. billynjoanna

billynjoanna New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JustLurkin @ Sep 11 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]510759[/snapback]</div>
    All good points. But, I lived in the mid west too. I knew better than trying to out run tornadoes. And as far as getting out of the way of a police car it is the officer to navigate through traffic, not you speeding up to get out of his way.
    With the point of lossing your freedom of driving a car fast. I too love a fast race car. But, a race car belongs on a race track. I have protected these freedoms that some of you have talked about for over 18 years in the military (and part time fire fighter) and I would have on problem with a governer on my cars.
    I also know what a car going 75+mph can do to a person's body when it hits a tree, another car or a person first hand. Sometimes I just get mad when I know that all that the person driving that fast would have had to do was slow down. Then that way I would not be put your or someone else family into a body bag or doing CPR on a small child all the way to the hospital just to have the die the next day.
    So, I guess the question is when is your right to drive fast more important an our children and grand children having the right to be safer on the road ways and to give us all a break at the gas pumps until someone comes up with something better.
    Anyway, it was just a thought. I'm glad it has everyone thinking. The below link as some good information.
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/

13. billynjoanna

billynjoanna New Member

All good points. But, I lived in the mid west too. I knew better than trying to out run tornadoes. And as far as getting out of the way of a police car it is the officer to navigate through traffic, not you speeding up to get out of his way.
    With the point of lossing your freedom of driving a car fast. I too love a fast race car. But, a race car belongs on a race track. I have protected these freedoms that some of you have talked about for over 18 years in the military (and part time fire fighter) and I would have on problem with a governer on my cars.
    I also know what a car going 75+mph can do to a person's body when it hits a tree, another car or a person first hand. Sometimes I just get mad when I know that all that the person driving that fast would have had to do was slow down. Then that way I would not be put your or someone else family into a body bag or doing CPR on a small child all the way to the hospital just to have the die the next day.
    So, I guess the question is when is your right to drive fast more important an our children and grand children having the right to be safer on the road ways and to give us all a break at the gas pumps until someone comes up with something better.
    Anyway, it was just a thought. I'm glad it has everyone thinking. The below link as some good information.
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Cars are not purposely designed to go so fast, usually. They are designed to accellerate as quick as possible. This requires power. If somebody then uses all that power for maximum speed, the car has to be able to handle it, or its dangerous.

This is where the Prius is a change in that status quo. Its designed to accellerate fast with as little power as is practical.

A car that can go fast is really just a car without the gear ratio to permit a smaller engine accellerate it at an appropriate level. Its just cheaper to put in a larger displacement engine, then to add 2 or 3 more gears to the transmission. Because the engine has the same amount of parts, just a little bigger. But the transmission would have 20 or 30 more parts to add the extra gears.

15. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Cars are not purposely designed to go so fast, usually. They are designed to accellerate as quick as possible. This requires power. If somebody then uses all that power for maximum speed, the car has to be able to handle it, or its dangerous.

This is where the Prius is a change in that status quo. Its designed to accellerate fast with as little power as is practical.

A car that can go fast is really just a car without the gear ratio to permit a smaller engine accellerate it at an appropriate level. Its just cheaper to put in a larger displacement engine, then to add 2 or 3 more gears to the transmission. Because the engine has the same amount of parts, just a little bigger. But the transmission would have 20 or 30 more parts to add the extra gears.

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Accidents, by definition, are preventable. Food for thought.
    _H*

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Accidents, by definition, are preventable. Food for thought.
    _H*

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 11 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]510823[/snapback]</div>
    As for cars on public roads, I'd like to have the car know the speed limit. The speed limit could then be displayed inside the car and the driver could be alerted if speeding. I wouldn't limit the car's speed to the posted speed limit, but I would log it and somehow make it known if a driver habitually speeds. This avoids the problems with those rare but real emergency situations by letting a driver speed, he just better have a good excuse.

Tom

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 11 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]510823[/snapback]</div>
    As for cars on public roads, I'd like to have the car know the speed limit. The speed limit could then be displayed inside the car and the driver could be alerted if speeding. I wouldn't limit the car's speed to the posted speed limit, but I would log it and somehow make it known if a driver habitually speeds. This avoids the problems with those rare but real emergency situations by letting a driver speed, he just better have a good excuse.

Tom

20. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

There were accidents back in the day when there were two cars on California roads and their top speed was 18 mph...

Limiting the top speed would prevent only a very small portion of accidents. If they limit the speed to the speed limit currently top in the US is in Texas, 80 mph, that still won't prevent some idiot doing 80 mph in a school zone or in a residential neighborhood or any other place with speed limit of 25 mph. Even if the car's limit is set to 60, that's still extremely dangerous if all the other cars are going 25 or 35 mph. So what will setting a limit on the car prevent, unless the limit is 25 mph? How many accidents have you heard on the news lately to have happened due to speeds of over 100 mph? Not many (not one in my case and I watch the news every day). Excessive speed is a cause of many accidents, but the excessive speed is in correlation to the speed limit, not in general. 65 mph in a 35 mph speed zone is a lot more likely to cause an accident than 140 mph on the Autobahn. It's all relative. You don't have to be Einstein to realize it.