1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For a friend--buy now or wait for plug-in?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dipena, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Friend is considering buying a Prius. I told her about the plug-in allegedly coming in 2010. She wonders if she should buy now or wait?

She's not in desperate need of a car right now. She can wait, though she's not sure how long. Here are the pros and cons of buying the current generation now, as far as I can tell.

Pros of getting 2009 Prius now would be:

-Having it now, reducing emissions and saving on gas immediately
    -Economy sucks and inventory seems pretty flush, so perhaps could get a deal

Cons of getting 2009 Prius now:

-Will resale value be reduced when plug-ins come out?

Questions about plug-in:

-How much more will it cost than current Prius?
    -Will it definitely be on the US market for mass consumption in 2010?
    -What is estimated yearly or monthly cost of electricity for plug-in?
    -Will Toyota still offer non-plug-in Prii when plug-in is introduced?

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Dianne

2. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't expect to get a 2010 with plug-in features unless you are lucky to get a "fleet vehicle" what ever that means.

Instead of waiting, get a good used 2004-2008 PRIUS and add the Hymotion battery pack for $10,000.

Winter is the time to buy a used Prius. Spring & summer, gas will increase higher than before. PRII will be in high demand again. SUV sales will drop further. Heard that before somewhere.

The Hymotion will be my option instead of 2010. Might see 2011 or 2012 with a production plug-in.

GM, FORD, and Chrysler are not in the race anymore. They are trying to simply survive, no advanced technology from these guys. They cannot afford to invest in plug-ins of the volt. Then again, they cannot afford not to. Nissan may be a possible player, but so loyalty. Anyone seen a hybrid Nissan? Thought so.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget about the redesigned Insight coming soon. A little smaller and cheaper than the Prius and better mileage (supposedly). The 2010 Prius will be officially unveiled in Jan. 2009, but on sale some unknown months later (perhaps a waiting list again?). But between that and the Insight, prices for a used Prius may become reasonable.

I think vuapplepudding (whereever that user name came from...?) is right, and the plug-in option is only for fleet sales, not for individual consumers. If you really want a plug-in you need to do it yourself (via Hymotion or another 3rd party). But that's expensive - if your friend is concerned about resale price & payback periods, the 3rd party plug-in option probably won't make economic sense to them (depending in part on commute length and price/source of electricity). It's more about sending an environmental/political messsage or preparing for gas > $5/gallon, at least until plug-ins are mass-produced by the manufacturer.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've -driven- a hybrid Nissan. The Altima. Nice car. I bought a Prius. ;)

You won't be able to buy a plug-in Prius until 2011 at the earliest. The cars that go on sale next April/May, the 2010 model, will not be plug-in, except for a limited number of "fleet vehicles", which will be leased and won't be available until late in 2010.

If she wants a choice of colour and model/options at a decent price without waiting very long, NOW is the time to buy. But don't go far into debt buying one. If you have to do that, wait. The economy is pouncing on those in debt.

The plug-in will give slightly better mileage. It won't allow you to drive much further on electric only. It's supposed to go only 6-10 km or so. I have heard talk it may be $3000-$5000 more currently. That may change as market conditions change.

The 2009 on dealers lots is well tested and a lot is known about it (read on this site). We really know little of the 2010, other than some "leaked" photos and side remarks from Toyota people. I would guess the 2009 would have a longer MTBF (mean time between failures) than the 2010, which will be new technology, or at least a new application of the HSD. I'm not saying it will be a lemon, just that the 2009 will probably be better for a few years. That was the case with the current model.

5. smartalec89

smartalec89 The Official Alaskan

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BUY NOW!!!!!
    I just bought my 2009 Prius and I love it. I highly suggest just buying one now.

6. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2010 Prius likely isn't a plug-in - other than a handful of fleet only vehicles. Given that 2009 Priuses are still selling for close to MSRP, waiting a few more months for the next gen 2010 Prius certainly seems prudent unless Toyota decides to sell 2009 Prius for well below invoice.

7. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The smart thing to do is wait. At the Detroit auto show in mid January they will show both the 2010 Prius and the new Honda Insight. All the details about both cars will be available. Both will go on sale in early April so you wil be able to select the car that best fits your needs. If gas continues on a downward trend there wil be plenty of both those models on the lots to sell. Panic buying has ceased so you should be able to make a good deal on either car. In my area my local dealer has 5 2009 Prius's on his lot now so lets hope the gas will not start rising in the late Winter. I am first a my local Honda dealer to get an Insight for my wife. I currently have a 2008 Prius.

8. Tweev

Tweev New Member

I'm waiting for the 2010. The 2009 interior and graphics are seriously dated. It's always better to wait to buy a car if you can. I rent a new car every weekend for $50 after tax with insurance. Cheaper than any new car you'll ever buy.