1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For all of you ethanol nasayers

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tripp, Jan 26, 2006.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those of you who have railed against ethanol as being worse than just using gasoline you should take a look at the following. Interesting as it comes from the same source as another study that panned ethanol.

For those of you that thought ethanol, as it is produced now, was the solutions to all of our enviromental/energy problems read the following. Interesting l'il blurb.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/01/uc_berkeley_stu.html

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting. If it's as good as gasoline (or slightly better) then at least it would make us less dependent on foreign oil.

I don't know what to think about ethanol.

3. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's definitely a difficult issue because the energy balances that people publish are so dependent on how they did their accounting. The real benefit of ethanol is that it can be made from cellulosic feed stock (read agricultural waste) as well as sugar rich crops like sugarcane (that's how they do it in brazil) and corn (mainly how we do it here).

Ethanol will most likely never be a complete solution like gasoline has been for the last century. However, it can and will play a role in weening us off of oil.

4. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a story on NPR about this new study.

They spoke with one of the authors and he talked about how you could go nuts including all the different kinds/amounts of energy used in the production of the ethanol.

Then they spoke with someone with another view. He was a prof at Cornell and he said that the study didn't include some obvious energy used in producing the ethanol. Like the gas used by the harvesting machines and tractors. He said that was typical of studies that were out to show the goodness of ethanol energy.

You can hear the story at npr.org - I'm sure I'm not doing it justice. It was quite interesting to hear the two views.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I've heard the story on NPR this morning. Interesting

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ethanol and ethanol mixtures [greater than E10] are probably the
    only fuel likely to be able to eventually run in a Prius, with minor
    ECU tweaking, as opposed to a massive ICE replacement or getting
    a completely different car. If Toyota would get off their nice person and
    actually support flex-fuel and PHEV projects based around the
    current Prius, lots of people could do meaningful work on migration
    strategies without making huge reinvestments.
    _H*

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I've yet to read a study that included the cost of pollution beyond GHG, even though fertilizer run-off is a HUGE problem.

Its make them all exercises in creative accounting.

8. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It may be just me, but it seems like you would want to at least include the obvious energy like the prof at Cornell mentioned. I can see how you could go crazy, cause you could also figure in fuel to transport and all sorts of things, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get the major sources of energy used.

9. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well if we are down to discussing the gas that tractors and harvesting machines use and without it ethanol looks better then I think we can at least say that ethanol is not worse then gasoline. It would then seem smart to use ethanol as we can create it ourself.

I'm still not convinced but I do think it looks promising. The other good thing is that most engines can probably be retrofitted to run on ethanol so it could be a good way out!

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I love it, that they showed who was behind the studies. Still, it takes numerous studies that come to the same general conclusion before we can really get an idea of what's what, ya know? Six different studies and six different conclusions. Errors and omissions. Doesn't sound as if we're well on our way, does it? :)

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Cornell Guy's critiques have typically revolved around using the most inefficient methods for producing ethanol. His papers have been regularly debunked by many people including folks at the Rocky Mountain Institute.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

Shouldn't E85 work just fine in a Prius? Most modern cars have an oxygen sensor that adjusts the burn and are already ready for ethanol based fuel. Toyota sells cars in Brazil and it is required by law that all cars sold in Brazil are flex fuel, so they do support it.

The only difference between a standard car and a flex fuel car is the flex fuel car has a small secondary gas tank for cold weather. Cold weather might not even be an issue with the Prius as it has a different ignition system than other cars. Furthermore a lot of us have a block heater anyways.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    People have been doing that already for centuries! Drinking home-grown ethanol is nothing new. Feeding it to your car may be though, if you don't live in the Midwest.

As for true costs of fuel, how much is taken into account for the military protection of the oil supplies we've been providing? Local corn, cane, beet, and grass fields used to produce ethanol don't need that.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    E10 is stated as the max ethanol content supported by the u.s.
    models, and there have been reports of ECUs getting confused by
    E85. But as you say, no reason that different ECU programming
    couldn't support E85 and beyond. The problem is political, not
    technological -- and that's not even touching on the issue of
    ethanol production itself.
    _H*

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sort of. It's really just an easy dismissal of liability, having nothing to do with actual ability.

E20 has already passed the first stages of statewide rollout research in Minnesota. This spring a more extensive study to prove that existing vehicles can support it will begin. So when the approved mandate begins in 2013, all gas will be a 20% blend here instead of the current 10%.

16. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From wikipedia:
    North American vehicles from approximately 1980 onward can run on 10% ethanol/90% gasoline (e.g., E10) with no modifications. Prior to 1980, many cars imported into the United States contained rubber, aluminium, and other materials that were generally non-compatible with any ethanol in their fuel delivery systems, and these cars experienced problems when E10 was first introduced. American made cars from the late 1970's onward can run on E10 with no modifications. E10 fuel is widely available. Going beyond 10% ethanol generally requires special engineering.

I also recall that for E85 there can not be any aluminum or magnesium in the engine and no metal or only stainless steel in the fuel line. Ethanol is more corrosive.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In comparing E85 to gasoline, I always see all the negatives about the production of ethanol as far how much energy it takes to produce it. Does it not take a lot of energy to mine petroleum, transport it across the world, and then refine it. I continually see the anti-E85 lobby talking about how the production of E85 takes so much energy and is harmful to the environment. In actuality wouldn't the production of E85 have a net positive effect on net fossil-fuel consumption and the environment?

It seems the oil companies are afraid of it. Shell will not even allow ethanol in any of its pumps in any form or percentage. Our companies just dropped them as our gasoline and diesel provider because of this. Wil some of you guys with a science and /or engineering background give me a heads up on E85?

18. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shell has 10% ethanol in all their pumps around here, as required by law. (I believe all of Illinois, actually. Minnesota too, according to john1701)

19. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The parts that really confuses me about the "energy required to make ethanol" debate:

1. The experts say corn isn't the best source, other crops are more efficient for ethanol. Why aren't the other crops becoming more prevalent?

2. When will the farm machinery start running on E85 and/or flex? If part of the problem is burning petro in harvesters, let's stop doing it.

{Folks, I just had a big "Aha" moment. It revolves around the whole "market driven economy" argument. If we wait for the market (i.e., the business community at large) to react to the need for non-petrochemical fuels, then we get exactly that - a reaction. What we need is something pro-active. Or Pre-active (ooh, I like the sound of that.) Anyone with a brain can see that the market will eventually need to react. I have no doubt it will, too. But it will be too slow and too expensive to wait for that reaction. The country, the world actually, needs to begin to accelerate this change now. If that takes tax $ and public policy changes, so be it. Some things are worth it. This interlude was brought to you by the Toyota Prius. :)}

Anyway, it seems like ethanol will be a part of the picture. It'll sure be nice when our transportation energy is 99% electric and home-grown ethanol. Hey, I can dream.

Karl in Philly

20. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Malorn et al,

A recent study out of berkeley states (roughly) the following:

Corn ethanol is marginally better than using gasoline. About 10-15% fewer green house gas emissions. They also state that cellulose ethanol (cellulose is the material that makes up the cell wall in plant cells) derived from agricultural waste and purpose grown plants (switch grass etc) is much greener and can provide a lot more ethanol without affecting food production. Currently we use about 14% of our corn to produce the ~5 billion gallons of ethonal produced in the US each year. The authors expect that cellulose ethanol will become much more widespread as production costs drop. It seems that that's the future of ethanol.

Corn is an OK crop for ethanol. The Brazilians use sugar cane which is the best known crop for ethanol production. Much better than corn. Using cellulose ethanol the authors of the study predict that we could cut oil imports by 20-30%. I'm assuming that that's if the US fleet average stayed as dismally low as it has been. Better efficiency might radically improve that already decent number.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news/story?id=42661