1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For All Prospective Buyers... Don't buy floor mats!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by judas_prius, Feb 13, 2008.

1. judas_prius

judas_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A tip from a fellow newbie... Don't waste your money on standard carpet mats from the dealer. They are selling the carpet mats for around $199.

For less money you can get a far superior product. Get yourself some WeatherTech Floor Liners. I just put mine in this past weekend. This is one purchase I will not regret!

It rained today and I made a couple of trips. The parking lot grime and oils that got on my shoes would have made carpet mats look like crap and probably would have stained the mats. Instead, I wiped off my floor liners and they still look great!

Cheers!

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip.
    I use cheap carpet mats from Supercheap Autoparts. They cost about $13 for a set of 4, are stiff so they don't bunch up, have a vinyl section where your heal goes and spikes on the underside to lock them to the carpet. I pull them out and shampoo them when I shampoo the carpets in my house, keeps em nice and clean.

The rubber floor coverings in cars went out in the 60s when Toyota and the like invaded our market with cheap and reliable little cars with carpet as standard while Australian cars had rubber mats in all but the luxury models. The Japanese cars had a wireless as standard too and even a heater was standard!!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is true. My package deal came with floor mats and I rarely use them. I bought Water Hogs from Eddie Bauer and I love them.

The Prius floor mats only go in when I'm taking Priapus to a car show.

4. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got mine at walmart, look almost identical to the $199.00 set.:eek:

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anything you get from the dealer is always overpriced compared to aftermarket products. I also got mine that came with the package, but it is well underneathe my rubber mats that I purchased from Advanced Auto. For $20.00, you can't beat the price and it serves its purpose. I clean the floor mats every other week or everytime the Prius takes a shower. :)

6. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How well do those walmart mats fit? How well do they match or coordinate with the interior color? I dont really want rubber mats.

7. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought my Prius in December and got the $99 black rubber Toyota mats, took out the OEM carpet ones and put them away for when the weather is nicer. Here in Montana, especially in the winter, there's lots of snow, slush, mud, water, salt, road-crud, parking-lot-crud, etc., being tracked into a vehicle and the rubber Toyo mats seem quite good so far.

8. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They are rubber and fit perfectly. I have the gray interior and the black mats look just fine.

9. rexg

rexg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

all my cars have the rubbermaid rubber floor mats i got at target. i got my first set 3 years ago and it still looks like new until now. the price used to be 17.99. you can get them now for 19.99 on sale. i have 3 gray ones for my 4runner and the 2 prii and one black one for my yaris. they have spikes in the bottom so they dont move. the best mats for the value imho.

10. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I paid $17.00 and as I said they work just fine. I have bought them before for my 280Z and they have lasted for years now with no splitting, fraying, etc.