1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For all the environmental wackos out there and the ones that think they might be

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Austin50mpg, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was sitting home the other day wanting to watch a program I thought was coming on. However, they had live racing instead. That got me thinking.

Do races get picketed? Are there people out there opposing the Daytona, Indianapolis, and the many other various names of races? It seems like driving 500 miles at 100+ miles an hour would waste a lot of gas. Then multiply that by how many competitors and how many races per year?

I don't consider myself a tree hugger or environmentally friendly. I just do things to save me money that happen to be considered "green.'

I'm just surprised I never hear or see a protest at one of the several races each year.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's not just the car racing. Think of the amount of fuel spent driving to any sporting event. Not to mention the trash generated at a single event. You have the teams that have to travel from place to place. Events with live sod must be maintained most likely with chemicals. Parking lots are completely impervious to rainwater causing storm water runoff (except for patch at US Cellular: Where green hits beyond the baseball field)

All in all, if an environmentalist wanted to picket, just about every single sporting event would be fair game.

3. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't get me started on the stupidity of people paying to see a bunch of millionaires play with a leather ball. (Even though I am an Astros fan I have never paid for a ticket to see them.)

I have read that Minute Maid Park and Astros are "going green"

The Official Site of The Houston Astros: Community: Play Green

:focus:

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Since you didn't seem to condone this ridiculous act, I'm going to just throw out what I initially thought of when I started reading this.

Some people just sit around and think about what they can do to cause drama in other people's lives. It's almost like causing grief gives them a feeling of purpose. A feeling of being significant... perhaps a bit less anonymous in the world. Perhaps these folks just need to find a hobby? I can think of a lot more productive things to do than sit around outside an event and picket. Go out and volunteer for the Special Olympics, or plant a tree, or help the homeless, or volunteer at the local youth center. Do something productive with your time rather than coming across as spreading hate at a sporting event.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Puritan: "Someone whose greatest fear is that someone, somewhere is having fun."

The amount of fuel consumed by cars on the track is dwarfed by the amount of fuel used by the multiple big-rig trucks used to transport cars and equipment to each race every weekend, not to mention the amount of fuel used by the owner's jets and driver's motorhomes.

My guess is that when you consider the total audience (millions of TV viewers), the amount of fuel consumed per spectator at a NASCAR race is small, probably less than you would consume throwing a kayak onto the top of your Prius and driving it to a nearby body of water for an afternoon of paddling.

Why don't you hang out at the airport and berate people for flying to vacation destinations, or for that matter, traveling anywhere at all.

6. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well I don't care for the sport particularly. I don't hate it either. I hate high gas prices. Environmental wackos are strong enough to prevent drilling for more oil or building more refineries thereby decreasing supply and increasing demand and price. Maybe if they bitched some more they could stop the motor sports and increase the supply of oil thereby decreasing the price. While I'm that maybe they can bitch about the actors and CEO's using private jets and increase oil supply a little more. I'm tired of the rectal bleeding induced by the gas pump. At least my Prius eases the pain a little. However the stations don't even provide vaseline.

:mad:

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We need to double and quadruple our efficiency in everything we do - transportation, housing, business, education. Want to double your profit, cut your cost by one-half or decrease emissions by one-half? Double your efficiency. Efficiency is the most cost-effective way to go.

Racing is clearly inefficient, even with bicycles or on foot. As humans, we need competition. However, we don't need to expel hydrocarbons (oil, rubber) during competition. Racing will gradually eliminate itself through cost. As India and China increase competition for fossil fuels, hydrocarbon-based events will be squeeze out.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is absolutely no need for NASCAR, Indy 500 or any of the other races.

We don't need to test internal combustion engines and technology any more. They are not a novelty either. (Which is why car crashes shouldn't be "news".)

There is no need to waste the rubber, gas, diesel, oil etc by the participants and onlookers, nor the need to produce the airborne particulate matter and greenhouse gases by participants and onlookers.

The entire thing is a waste AND contributes un-neccessarily to pollution.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is absolutely no need for NASCAR, Indy 500 or any of the other races.

We don't need to test internal combustion engines and technology any more. They are not a novelty either. (Which is why car crashes shouldn't be "news".)

There is no need to waste the rubber, gas, diesel, oil etc by the participants and onlookers, nor the need to produce the airborne particulate matter and greenhouse gases by participants and onlookers.

The entire thing is a waste AND contributes un-neccessarily to pollution.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least you admit to being selfish. :)

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think I would be considered an "environmental wacko" but the pollution inherent in airline travel bothers me to the point that I really don't want to fly anywhere anymore.

I also don't believe that "environmental wackos" are the ones preventing oil companies from expl^H^H^H^H developing new sources of crude oil and refining capacity. In fact, with the current administration, I don't believe the "environmental wackos" have much influence at all.

I do believe that we should try to develop transportation that does not depend upon a supply of oil. I believe this because:

1) There is a limited supply of oil and it will eventually become so expensive to buy that it will drag down our economy. I think we are seeing the beginning of that now.

2) Because of our need for oil, we have to deal with other countries (and religious affiliations) that greatly resent our influence. Our national security would be improved if we were not dependent on them.

3) By burning oil, we are dirtying our air, and losing the opportunity to use it for other products (rubber, plastics, etc) that we need. This is true even if you discount the arguments for global climate change (which I don't discount)

I'm not sure if that qualifies me as an "environmental wacko", but I tend to think of it in terms of self-preservation, both as a country and as an individual.

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Instead of NASCAR, how about a Tesla Racing League?

Competition may lead to improved battery function, weight saving techniques, super capacitor technology, etc. That would be worthwhile and could be done with renewable energy sources. You could make that a rule. :D

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some motor racing is carbon neutral.
    http://www.clipsal500.com.au/2008-power10/pdfs/latest/premiers07_release.pdf
    Motor racing is where new developments are born, ABS, stability control, radial tyres, safety structures both in the car and on the road side, fuel injection, automotive aerodynamics, even hybrid technology and the list goes on. I believe next year energy recovery braking will appear in Formula 1. This could see it gain greater acceptance in the consumer domain.

Why not just ban driving a car except for essential travel like commuting to work. If you can't walk there or ride a bike there, you can't go there.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By the way, I never said that I picket sporting events or that I never go to any. Truth be told, I believe a day at Wrigley field is just about as good as it gets for me.

But there's a few things I consider: The Red Line El train drops me off about three blocks from the ballpark. I don't eat or drink much and I take my souvenir cups home to reuse for many months afterwards.

As for finding something better to do with my time other than picketing sporting events, Austin, check the ChicagoPriusGroup link in my signature and try to figure out who built and maintains the site, organizes events, and volunteers at car shows, energy fairs and Hybridfest. Let me know when you have an internet articles and blogs written about you like some of us here have. We contribute to magazine articles, get quoted in newspapers and show up on the evening news. It's just that some of us don't cause drama in other people's lives; some of us take quality time out of our own lives to help others and the world around us. That's what gives us a "feeling of purpose. A feeling of being significant."

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So if I understand correctly, you'd like the assistance of the people you ridicule to help you save money while you cheerfully disregard anybody else's well being. Fair assesment?

And if I read just a bit further between the lines, we find that high gas prices are due to these same Environmental wackos, correct? Near-sighted gluttonous stupidity had nothing to do with it, apparently.

16. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Playing Mario Kart is fun.

Car racing is fun.

But watching other people drive in a circle on television? :confused:
    Just seems more boring than watching paint dry.
    To each his own I guess.

17. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are you bragging or complaining?

:third: Here is your trophy.

18. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Ding! ding! ding! ding! ding!. We have a winner of the most intelligent post to this thread so far.

19. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Huh? It is not only my money but the other several million drivers in the United States. As gas prices increase the price of almost everything increases. Especially anything that relies on transportation. People quit buying as much. Merchants increase prices in order to make up for the loss on both ends. All the snowballing = poor economy = less work force = more reliance on government = less innovation = terrible things for everyones well being.

The near-sighted gluttonous stupidity of our beloved government in trying to please anyone with a minority opinion in order to be politically correct had everything to do with it.

20. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Next year in Formula 1 the rules allow (partial) capture of energy during braking. I did some back of the envelope calculations and I believe peak power dissipation is on the order of 1 megawatt (peak deceleration 5gs), so whatever they come up with will be able to handle energy capture and delivery at rates many times higher than passenger hybrid cars.

There might be no trickle-down technology from NASCAR, but in F1 they had things like active suspension, traction control, and computerized engine management before they started appearing in passenger cars. And if it weren't for the rules, they'd have had stability control too.