1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

for CERTIFIED owners a question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by virtualdood, Jun 17, 2009.

1. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

In a house with a mouse, on an island amongst the
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have been trying to decipher paperwork. We bought a certified prius recently, but do NOT understand the paperwork.

Not trying to sound too frightened. But we spent a bunch of $ and just want to understand the paperwork as best we can.

So our curiosity is not unwarranted. maybe we just have to have faith the car is certified? :eek:

Is the certified checklist essentially the "proof" of certified warranty? we do not have any other document. We have the various books and certified info, but none with dates and vin# etc. The only document we posses is our certified checklist, dated, vin#, signed etc.

is that the most documentation we should have or ... ?

I guess we expect docs/papers to scream certified, warranty everywhere. But we really don't see that anywhere. Let alone for the original 3/36k warranty. (we have 13k + right now). As i understand the warranty just follows the car. But really, no docs say this :(

thanks in advance

2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Should be in the glove box and they also should have went over the warranty with you. I assume its new and from a dealer.

1 person likes this.
  3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Should have a sales receipt also with all the accounting info on it as well as registration info and miles when bought.

1 person likes this.
  4. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks guys. right, i guess my aim or quest is to understand what document is the verifiable paper.

A) the checklist ?

none of the sales paperwork or anything else points us to being warranted/covered, etc.

thanks

5. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have to worry. If we sell a certified vehicle, we have to send the VIN# to Toyota in order to get credit for the certified sale. Anytime, anywhere you bring your vehicle in for service, it will be labeled as a certified vehicle.

If you want to feel better, PM me the vin# and I can verify it is marked as a certified through toyota.

1 person likes this.
  6. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Jabber- I did call Toyota and they said nothing in the system. But the dealer said it was. But that could all be time lag and being actually entered vs. going to be entered.

What do you normally give the car buyer? the certified checklist? any thing else? we got the red certified warranty book, but none of the data is filled in the cover- VIN, date of sale, mileage etc.

I do appreciate the feedback. I just am not sure what verifiability we are supposed to have. As far as i can tell it is "covered" but in writing i can't find it anywhere. :rolleyes:

thanks guys for all the peace of mind

7. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe it or not, I probably have a more direct link than the toyota rep you spoke with on the phone.

And yes, you get the booklets, and they are supposed to be filled out at time of sale. But 99% of the salesmpeople don't do it.

All you have to do is call the dealership and ask them for the certification number. It is a number they receive when they first certify the car. Long before you purchase it. That number is given to them by Toyota.

I wouldn't worry about it. Toyota takes the certification VERY seriously. If a dealer says the car is toyota certified, it really should. You have a check list filled out by the mechanic? That you shouldn't have. That is supposed to stay with the certification paperwork.

8. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just got it all squared away. We did NOT have the certified number etc. So we were a little confused about driving off the lot with a spendy car but nothing verifying anything. We got it emailed to us.

But it makes me curious if this happens often on certified cars. Where the buyer really has no verification. Just verbal info. Which is what it felt like, and felt a little nerve racking. But in paper, b&w feels nice. :)

Thanks again Jabber

now that our paperwork is at least veified, i can get on to bigger and better posts....like the weird oddity i just discovered about the keys :whistle:

9. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem Virtualdood. Glad it all worked out for you. Normally, there is paperwork associated with the car before you even look at it. However, on rare times that a customer buys a car before all the paperwork is complete, it can be nerve racking when a salesman says, "Don't worry! Trust me!" The odds of a dealer syaing a car is certified and it really isn't is a HUGE no-no in Toyota's eyes. SEVERE punishment from them to the point that it isn't worth it. Like turning back the odometer on cars. The mandatory penalty is so large, it doesn't make sense to try and do it.

1 person likes this.
  10. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You got it, TOYOTA ;)

You really hit it on the consumer's side. Ease of mind when things don't add up is a PITA! And having faith is reasonable, just nerve racking. :eek: