1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For giggles

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by mikefocke, Apr 22, 2023.

Tags:
  1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Q: I'm thinking of replacing my electric car with a fossil fuel car and have some questions:

1. I have heard that petrol cars cannot refuel at home while you sleep. How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Will there be a solution for re-fueling at home?

2. Which parts will I need to service and how often? The salesman mentioned oil in the engine and timing belts that need replacing and a box with gears in it. What is this? How much will this service oil change cost and how often - and what happens to the old oil.

3. In a petrol or diesel car, do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill?

4. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?

5. Is it true that petrol is flammable? The petrol and diesel is so dangerous, that you can only buy the fuel at a special filling station, and not anywhere (hotels/ Car parks/Home Work)?

6. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution?

7. I have also been told that you have to transport oil all over the world to turn into petrol or diesel, and these ships have in the past damaged the environment by leaking the oil. Is that true?

8. I have been told that these internal combustion engines make a noise when you start them - so early starts can wake people up, and driving a lot of internal combustion engine cars in towns makes towns noisy?

9. Is it true people can steal the fuel from your tank?

10. What is the drop in range in cold weather? I've been told a car that does 45mpg can drop to 37 mpg in winter. Just curious on that one.

11. These petrol type cars generally stop on the brakes alone - so the brakes wear out faster - how long will they last compared to my current car which lasts over 500.000 kilometers?

hkmb, bwilson4web and Prius Maximus like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have heard that catalytic converter theft is rampant, are they expensive to replace?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    13. I heard there's something called an exhaust system in a petrol car. I understand that this spews poisonous fumes into the atmosphere we breathe. Can someone predict how many people per year may die due to these poisons in the air? If the car is left running in an enclosed area - like a garage - for minor repairs, setting of controls etc, is that dangerous?

14. The petrol car jerked me around three or four times every time it accelerated. Was something wrong with it? If not, that is very annoying.

15. The engine was so noisy during my test drive, I couldn't hear my music.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    16. Petro cars and motorcycles look great in my Tesla rear view mirrors.

Bob Wilson

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve seen a few of these over the years.
    A lot of it really comes from what someone is used to.
    It is a fun peek at what it looks like from ‘the other side’.

Oldie but a goodie: