1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For our EV skeptics

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 5, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

FYI, neither my Tesla EV nor my BMW i3 EV are for sale. But to add facts and data he omitted:
    1. Public Chargers - Tesla SuperChargers continue to increase in numbers with shorter ranges and higher performance. The gasoline company BP has recently bought some Tesla SuperChargers and more are coming. Some of the CCS-1 charging companies are still in business and expanding. As for my BMW i3, it carries a range extender engine-generator so it never has to use public charging.
    2. Unpredictable Range - did catch me on a 95 F day in Nashville, my one and only tow a mile from the SuperChargers. I was in a rush but lesson learned, it is unlikely to happen again. No problems dealing with cold weather. The BMW i3 has a range extender engine-generator.
    3. Tires - Tesla tires are built more for acceleration and handling. It is easy enough to get and achieve 60,000 miles buying tires with a higher wear rating. As for the BMW i3, the unique tires are part of 2014-2022 optimization for improved range. No one else uses them.
    4. Repairs - once the warranty expires, I do my own maintenance including purchasing the parts and using the Tesla documentation. FYI, there is a built-in if light weight diagnostic. The owner rentable shop version runs on Google Chrome and can be rented for a period of time.
    5. Unknown Long Term Reliability - my Tesla has 117,565 miles and the BMW i3 over 60,000 miles. How long is 'Long Term'? I'm certainly happy with both vehicles.
    6. Battery Failure - the Tesla is down ~10% and the BMW i3 down ~5%. Both project 10-15 years before 'end of life.' But happily, the number of public chargers (see #1) has increased at least as fast as my batteries degraded. Recently I added CCS-1 charging to my Tesla. The BMW i3 carries its own range extender engine-generator. I found it in the Toyota dealer with a 'discharged' battery. Finally, the BMW i3 has become my urban driver to extend the life of my Tesla battery.
    7. Resale Value - I effectively 'stole' my 2017 BMW i3 for $15,000 and never looked back. Neither of my EVs are for sale. BTW, I traded in a 2017 Prius Prime for $18,300 to purchase the Tesla and have no problem with getting much more than that Prime was worth to me.
    8. Insurance - I pay off my cars quickly and only carry liability. When Tesla sells their insurance in Alabama, I'll switch.
    9. Price - My $42,000 Tesla was only $24,000 because of the 2017 Prime trade-in. There was also a $3,750 tax credit in 2020. My $15,000 BMW i3 gets a $4,000 tax credit in 2024.
    The title claims '10 reasons' but the reviewer only gave 9. I would not loan him money. Worse, some of the 'reasons' over lap.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  2. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Only 3m in and he's talking about how the driver should maintain a charge between 20 to 80 percent. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe the onboard battery management system optimizes charging, it's not up to the driver.

Had my i3 battery tested days before warranty expired and it was 73% (warranty replacement is below 70% :(). It's a BEV w/o fast DC charging, so only a city driver. That said it does the job I bought it for, which is getting me to and from work and around town without having to burn fossil fuels (passing the Lexus gunning its performance tuned engine at a stop light is just a bonus :D). I don't have any plans to get rid of it, so will see how long the battery last.

#2 ammdb, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it must depend on the car. pretty sure tesla and chevy both allow 0-100% usage option.

on the bolt forums, there's a lot of talk about limiting charge to80% except when needed, and not running it down near zero when possible.

i'm loving the bolt. gm quality is amazing compared to what i last bought in 1985.

and the price was 22k before trade and taxes, not too shabby.
    i hope they make the next one a little bigger in the hatch depth, or i may look at equinox, and hopefully the tesla M2 will be available in a few years.

El Dobro and bwilson4web like this.
  4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Your M3 cost was not $24k because you no longer had your trade in. Cash outlay affected, cost not. You exchanged one asset plus cash for another. Which depreciated about 50% over the miles you have happily used it. All cars do.

Just as my Rav4 hybrid cost was not lowered by the private party sale of my previous Prius v. My cash outlay was but not my real cost.

douglasjre likes this.
  5. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to make it simple for people to understand. People take a wheel barrel full of cash. They take half out and the other half they set on fire. That is how most car purchases work.

The most closely guarded secret is Tesla owners. You never hear about reliability issues but a little about their horrible fit and finish issues. Could battery powered cars solve the German reliability issues? If they can, Tesla is finished.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good explanation. So I only had to add $24,000 cash to get the Tesla because the purchase included a car I had no use for.

Bob Wilson

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No one can solve German reliability issues, they’re self inflicted

sylvaing likes this.
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The tenth reason is having to watch videos like this.

vvillovv and hill like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, i've had one for two weeks, and it's much closer to a fantasy than a nightmare

10. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Although it didn't work out with the Nissan Leaf, my wife still says that that was her favorite car. I also liked the car, except the reasons I ended up getting rid of it. Maybe some day I'll have an EV again. We'll see what decisions I make when the HV battery goes out on the Avalon.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is great to have choices!

Bob Wilson

12. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Walking, biking or hitch-hiking?

Although, TBH, one of these days you're going to convince me to buy a BMW i3.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    An open invitation, if you find an BMW i3 anywhere within 150-250 miles of Huntsville AL, invite me to be your 'purchase consultant.'

Bob Wilson

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And the same ( or close to it the same) bulleted explanations below it for the 100th perhaps closer to the 1000th time.
    After a while I just go into propaganda overload and stuff like this post pops out.