1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

? for Recently Purchased California Prius Owners...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by albert1028, Oct 26, 2010.

1. albert1028

albert1028 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Everyone,

I wanted to confirm this with people. I purchased my car on August 21, 2010. And insurance came back telling me that DMV has no record of my registration.

I emailed my sales person at the dealership i bought the car from and she said that due to cutbacks and furloughs of governement jobs, the state has been taking approx. 3 to 4 months to get out license plates to people.

Can those who have purchased the car around August or September tell me if they received their registration and license plates yet?

Thanks in advance.

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most likely the dealer never submitted the paperwork. Since the dealer charged you anywhere from $50 to $100 just to complete the paper work I would tell them you are going to small claims court to recover that charge and will file a complaint with both the DMV and Toyota. Good Luck

3. erikl

erikl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What he said. It took me 2 weeks to receive my plates. I purchased in late June.

4. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It took about 2 months for mine. Purchased in late May.

5. legend

legend New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Purchased in late July, and it took just over two months to arrive in the mail.

6. NephCC

NephCC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got mine in about a month. Purchased in September

7. GasSaving

GasSaving Saves $1,000/yr on gas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yikes! I got mine in 3 days in MA. Is this a result of the great recession? i.e. Was it always like this?

8. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was only on temporary plates for a week (Wyoming). The dealer was quick about it. Xpcman is right - the delay is most likely with the dealer because he doesn't want to write the tax check to the state even though it is your money.

9. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got mine in about a month. Purchased in July

10. xinsight

xinsight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased my Prius about one week later than you did -- and I am also still waiting for my plates & registration.

One interesting thing to also tell you: I inquired about this long wait for plates with my dealer yesterday and they ran my registration with DMV (as they have a terminal which has direct access to DMV) and the DMV records show my car was registered in California on 1 October. This record also had my new plate number. My dealer scanned and E-Mailed me a copy of this DMV record. If I don't get the physical plates in about one more week I'm going to take this to DMV and get them to issue me new plates on-the-spot. My dealer said they'd reimburse me the $18 fee.

I believe what we're experiencing has to do with the backlog of DMV actions due to the long period of no State budget and weekly staff furloughs. Please re-post if/when you get your plates - I will do likewise.

11. 26nm

26nm IC Desgin Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should talk to your dealer. I bought mine in Aug. 23.2010 and got the lic. plate Oct. 12, 2010.
    I live in San Jose, CA.

12. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought mine about the time you bought yours, and I got my plates about 2 weeks ago. I recall many dealerships do not send in the paperwork to DMV immediately, and sometimes delay as much as a couple of weeks (I guess they could delay even longer). Personally, not receiving the plates isn't much of a concern. But not being in the DMV computer is a problem. You'd better get some explanation from the dealership on why you aren't in the DMV's computer.

Dumb Mike

13. xinsight

xinsight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Success - 64 days after I purchased the car, and 34 days since the state showed me registered (with these plates), I finally received my plates today.

14. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This sounds like another scumbag dealer.

15. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Working with the state government here is California is really strange these days. Earlier this summer I sent Sacramento a check ($$$) for an issue relating to my business. It took them 3 months before the check cleared the bank! Having been under contract from time to time for various state government agencies, I see government employees under stress (gee - just like us in the commercial world) and somewhat depressed. Consequently, our government may not always respond in a timely manner as one would normally expect.

This summer, I bought a motorcycle out of state, and when I brought it to the Ca DMV for an inspection and registration, they gave me the license plate right at the DMV!

Congrats on getting your plates. Be sure to put on the front one. It is no longer an option. A business associate of mine recently got a fix-it ticket because he did not have front license plate.

Keith

16. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Folsom Prison was in lockdown for a loooong time recently.