1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For such a green car, new Prii are extraordinarily toxic....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sorka, Sep 29, 2008.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Have purchased 3 new cars prior to this and none have had detectable outgassing as far as my body is concerned.

However, this car is nuts. Within 5 minutes of getting into it, my eyes start stinging and I feel an intense pressure in my upper cheeks below my eyes(presumably some sort of sinus congestion or something). I don't have any known allergies. Rolling down the windows windows is the only way I seem to be able to avoid it.

Currently, I'm leaving the car parked in the sun all day long with the windows cracks get temps up as high as possible.

I used to think that people who complained about this sort of stuff were either paranoid or just really sensitive. I always disregarded Prius owner complaints about this because I assumed that there was a disproportionate number of green / environmentalist types buying the car and that they were more likely to complain.

Boy was I wrong.

Worst is I'm getting ready to go on a 9 day trip to Arizona and the Grand Canyon and am somewhat worried about this. Any advice?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is -nothing- different in the Prius that any other new car has. Perhaps something got into the air intake system when it was parked, either before or after delivery. To check you have to remove the wiper arms and then the large plastic tray just at the bottom of the windshield. Under that you will find the air intake ports for the cabin air. Mice etc. can get in there, and leaves and other matter can build up there and plug the water drain holes.

All new cars have a lot of plastic inside, and that plastic will out-gas constantly. I leave both front windows rolled down about 2-3 cm when the car is parked. I have the side window deflectors to keep rain out. You can tell if there is a lot of outgasing by watching it build up on the inside of the windshield. Keeping the two windows rolled down a bit reduces that buildup a lot in my car.

Did the dealer treat the interior with some form of "anti-stain" spray? THAT will cause eye watering. Perhaps on the carpets or removable carpet protectors/mats? Try removing them from the car and see if you still react after a few days.

I do have allergies, but I don't react to Pearl (except for love ;) ).

3. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our new prius has 110 miles on it now. My wife has extreme allergies, mine are mild. Neither of us have had any problems with our car. This seems to be unique to your vehicle or a dealer application of something.:D

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Um, I don't think so. The car has 300 miles on it and I noticed it on the brand new classic silver I test drove last month as well. I've never noticed this in any brand new car. I've purchased 3 before this and been in dozens. Plus I've test driven a number of other new cars recently and did not experience it.

No matter how you slice it, it is the Prius and there is something different about it that most or all other new cars.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    That's an interesting thought. The other Prius we test drove was also from the same dealer. Perhaps they added something in prep without telling us.

Hopefully it will fade quickly.

6. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem with mine brand new Prius. Internals of it are not much different from other modern cars. Of course probably best to keep avoiding internal air recirculation with any new car, unless driving behind big diesel trucks emitting tons of diesel dust particles direct into your lungs. :)

Ogo

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Yea, I've kept it off recirc. I really like that the recirc control is on the steering wheel. It's great for those times that you're hitting a dust cloud or something and you need to quickly close of the cabin until you get through it.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There was an issue in 04/05 that the protective covering sprayed on the engine was not being properly removed at the dock. The story was that the metal engine components get coated prior to overseas shipping to ward off salt-water corrosion. Apparently, some people were getting a horrible stench when they operated the vehicle. This was the protective covering being literally baked on the metal parts. I don't remember what the remediation was but I'm pretty sure the smell faded in time.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the dealer apply fabric protector? Ask them explicitly in case it was done by accident or does not appear on your invoice for some other reason.

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It's not on the invoice and we weren't charged for it. However, if it's 3M Scotchguard, I've used that for years and years in all of my vehicles and have never smelled it or had an issue.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [Someone else needs to help me out here with the specifics, but . . .]
    Aren't the plastics inside the Prius plant based and not petroleum based?

Your wife isn't allergic to EVERYTHING. What may not bother her could be an extreme allergen to someone else.

I have no known allergies to natural things, but my sinuses start hurting whenever I am in a new car (doesn't matter make or model), new houses, or near people with massive amounts of perfume.

I especially hate those plug-in air fresheners. Better living through chemistry my a**! :mad:

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife is alergic to everything and then some. The worst is cologne stench (my car pool rider must take a bath in it :p and won't cut back) that gets all over the seat belts. And his kitty dander on the carpet. But try this stuff:

Zero Odor Store: safety

We spray it on the car's carpet / seatbelts, upholstery, cab air filter etc and BAM. Stench is gone ~ regardless of where it's comming from.

14. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 2008 Prius smells exacly like my moms 2008 Camry in the inside.

15. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm actually wondering about what those cars were... The Prius has a very large (relative to others) dash that is exposed to the sun... Maybe its just stronger because of that and will fade in time

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not all of them but some of them.

Bioplastics Gets Boost From Toyota

And I swear that I found a Toyota company page touting their Sugar Beats that they are growing and breeding specifically for bioplastic development. But I can't find it now.

17. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Take a deep breath and enjoy the high.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had this problem with every new car I've owned, except the Xebra, but that had been at the dealership for a couple of months, so I didn't get it straight off the boat. My Prius when new was no better and no worse than any other new car. I've always had to leave the windows open for the first couple of months.

19. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Mine was the same way when new, it was so bad it would coat the inside of the windows and that stuff was really hard to get off. Mine sits in the sun every day for 8 1/2 hours which made it even worse. I'm not sure if its plastic degassing or fabric. It could be that those without the problem never park in the sun, or if its the fabric, they have leather. I have fabric. It eventually went away after a couple months, although after a year and a half people say my car still smells new. Park in the shade if you can, and leave the windows cracked open if possible.

20. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm leaving mine parked in the sun with the windows cracked just a little to get the temps as high as possible. This is the fastest way to accelerate degassing. I'm only doing this for the first few weeks.