1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Those of Us Who Live in the Northern States

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Aug 25, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For those of us who are in the northern states where we usually get snow during our winters, one of my main concerns was the use of salts on the roads that the road crews put on the streets and highways in the winter time. As most of us know road salts can corrode and rust the bodies of cars and trucks over time if they are not constantly washed.

Recently though I have been hearing about some areas using magnesium chloride which is a chemical to spray on the roads to try to prevent the roads from icing, but I think that using this would even cause more harm to the car's body and possibly the paint.

So for us Priusians, what would be the best way to protect these cars from the corrosive effects of the salts and chemicals that are applied on the roads every winter? And of course it would be too cold to wash the cars because if the temp was cold enough to freezing there's the risk of freezing the doors in place (that happened to my Olds once--had a hard time opening the passenger door because it froze shut). I know my mom used to tell me that when you wash the car you have to wash the undercarriage as well because that's where alot of the salts and other derbris would settle.

Of course, there's always the option of using a winter-beater car in the winter too ;)

2. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Todays cars are protected pretty good against road salt in the wintertime.I try to give it a good wash when the temp raises above 40!which will happen a few times in most nothern states in the winter months.I dont know about that road spray you mention!ill have to research it.I worry more about the sanders spraying the sand as i pass by or get behind.I was hoping on getting a bra for the front!but none was made to fit my 2006 :( I may look into getting the clear guard and also looking into getting 4 good snow tires.

3. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I live in Grand Rapids.
    My biggest concert in the tires. They suck. I plan to get new ones for the roads here.
    As for a wash..I go to one of those do it yourself spray things. Then I drive for a little bit to blow the water off. I haven't had an ice up yet. WIth the SKS I think it will be harder for the locks to freeze after that.

4. New Revelation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Aug 25 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]309591[/snapback]</div>
    Well we only live about an half hour from each other. :) As I am sure you know some of the roads here can be quite a challenge, especially in the winter. When the M-6 highway was completed I have already heard of trucks getting stuck on the small hill as well as cars sliding off the highway.

I think good snow tires will help a great deal as well.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 25 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]309566[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

What salt?

I protect my Prius paint with a layer of "Nu Finish" polish. That stuff is tough enough to make the 6 months required before it is warm enough again (here in Minnesota) to reapply again. It has worked extremely well for me.

By the way, this winter season is year #7 for me with a Prius. 3 with the Classic (2001) shown above before trading for my HSD (2004) which will soon begin it's 4th dealing with the salt.

6. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Aug 25 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]309587[/snapback]</div>
    I just purchased a bra yesterday and installed it my self, from my Toyota Dealer, for my 2006 Prius. Not sure where you looked or what made you say that they don't make a bra for the 2006 Prius, OR MAYBE they sold me the wrong bra....... SO< now, I'm confused...
    Its fit wasn't the greatest, I say this because along the very bottom I couldn't really fit the 'clips' well I could make them fit, however, when I did, the bra snagged down-wards. SO, I just left the bottom 2/3 alone and it fits really well. The cover/bra is really tight and snug without the very bottom being clipped...

7. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Norman! The bra you got was made for the 2005 model or earlier.There was some small mod done on the 2006 that made the bra not fit correctly!Something about the air dam in the front.I heard you can make it fit the 2006,but not a perfect fit! I would love to see a pic of it on your car if you could.I still would like to get one.

8. New Revelation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Where would you get a bra at, and for how much? I haven't seen any pics yet of those on the car, so I am curious as to how they look. Actually, since the model Prius I ordered is a 2007, im wondering if the 06 one will fit.

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Protecting the Prius from road salt is no different from protecting other cars. As long as the temps are below freezing, the corrosive properties of the salt are inert anyways. Just wash and spray the undercarraige when you can and you'll be fine.

10. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Aug 26 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]309830[/snapback]</div>
    Stanlwyjohn
    It fits better than I thought,One thing puzzled me was it said not to drive in the rain with them on.....well I just installed it yesterday, and today it rained :eek:
    I'll try to get a pic. of the car, if I can remember all those steps again....whew...... :unsure:

Hopeful, price of a bra was $149. from the dealer, it listed for $199

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I still wash my vehicles when it's cold (by cold I mean below -20 C or about 0 F). That's the best time, as they stay clean! I hand wash using the high pressure spray, just water. Then I use my drying towel. Then I spray the door seals with silicone spray. It chases the water off the seals. I like the LPS stuff, as it's food safe and uses water as a liquid base, so it will not remove the glue that holds some door seals in place or harm the paint. It's also good for the rubber - keeps it from drying out.

Of course you have to do this when the carwash isn't busy. You'll find me there at 7AM on Sundays.

12. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Magnesium chloride is considered less corrosive than sodium chloride (rock salt) and easier on the environment. Calcium chloride is another good alternative. Neither is used as commonly as rock salt because they are more expensive.

My experience has been that a car will show signs of rust due to salt in 7 or 8 years, and at around 12 years it is no longer safe to drive. The only effective way to prevent it is to not drive in the winter.

The Prius is no different as far as corrosion is concerned than any other car.

13. photomf

photomf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 25 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]309566[/snapback]</div>
    I live in one the most road salted place in the country, northern Vermont. I agree with two of the replies in that the Prius is the same as any other car, and that if you can't handle rust, don't drive in the winter. (I lot of people up here have winter clunkers). My personal strategy is this, especially with a rustless car:
    --Before the winter, make sure any chips or sratches are fixed properly
    --During the winter, wash the car and the underbody when you can, when the temp is >freezing
    --As mentioned don't wash it when it's lower than freezing unless it's a total salted mess, and when it's below 20 or so, the salt is inert anyway. Make sure you concentrate your washing on the places on the car which trap dirt/salt/moisutre, as this is where the car will rust first.
    By the way, our family has 2 '06 Priuses, and we will be driving them all year long. Like our past Toyota, they will probably show rust after 5 or 6 years.
    Thanks,
    Marty

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 26 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]309913[/snapback]</div>
    The benefit is cosmetic only though. At that temperature, there is no danger from salt since it's bone dry then. Exposure to moisture is the real problem.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 25 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]309651[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't Nu Finish strip off the top layer of paint though?

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k @ Aug 27 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]310108[/snapback]</div>
    Thats totally absurd. Modern cars are composed of galvanized metal and have factory applied rust inhibitors, if you wash the salt off when it reached higher than 32 degrees F you won't see rusting in 20 years, let alone have your car "unsafe to drive" after 12.

As for Nu Finish, Nu Finish will not protect your car for 6 months from anything in a harsh environment, no wax/sealant will (well, MAYBE Zaino or Klasse), and it is abrasive (I wouldn't use it on a modern car, there are far more modern products) but it won't "strip the top layer of paint off". It would take a harsh compound and a rotary polisher to do that, and you'd have to screw up or be trying to do it.

17. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Aug 27 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]310161[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I hope you're right. I have heard that washing can do more harm than good because it forces the salt into the crevices.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, if you flush the underbody well with a strong stream of water, the water will dissolve the salt and it will just stream away.

If all cars were undrivable after 12 years because of salt, why are there still cars on the road from before 1995? Do you have any idea the amount of metal that would have to be CONSUMED by rust in order to make the car unsafe to drive?