1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those that have been able to test the PHV

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by coach81, Oct 10, 2010.

1. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Did it get aggrevating to charge it up constantly?
    2. Did you notice the EV battery becoming any less efficient as you continued to use it in EV mode?
    3. Did any of you go for a couple of days JUST on EV, as in continually plugging it in, and never or very rarely using HV mode?
    4. Has anyone crunched the numbers and figured out the MPG or MPE-(electric charge) of driving this way?

If/when I get my PHV most of my driving will be well within the 14 mile EV range so I would be driving almost exclusively in EV mode -thus the questions...

Thanks in advance..

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't bump threads.

1. Not really. The effort to plugin is minimal in most cases provided you're 25 ft from an outlet.
    2. None of us had it long enough to really quantify this metric. I did notice after the 1.6 mile mark that the battery only contributed midly to the driving experience. I did find that the display lied a couple of times where the ICE was off but EV mode was also "off" in motion.
    3. I made one trip on EV, but most of my driving exceeded the usable EV range or I didn't have the time (or desire during peak summer rates) to recharge.
    4. In a round-about sense, see my driving thread in the same forum. Somewhere in the range of 3-4 miles per kWh.

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...h-its-paces-in-hot-desert-ricks-turn-phv.html

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is like asking a PV owner if they mind that the dial spins backwards ;)

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry :rolleyes:

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My replies (first smart-a$$ then serious):
    1: Do you mind that you stink of gasoline when you refill your guzzler? Does it bother you that gas prices get higher but your paycheck doesn't?
    Every time I plugged in the car, I smiled because I was not pumping gasoline. To me, plugging in was freedom. The electricity cost less and was generated locally. Though the current situation is not ideal, I know that in the future more and more energy will be generated by renewable sources which will provide even more freedom from fossil fuels. My wife parks in the one-car garage so I would plug in when I got home and unplug before gong to bed. Personally, I didn't feel right leaving it plugged in overnight unsupervised.
    2: I have no smart-a$$ reply for this one.
    I had no means through which to measure the efficiencies of the battery or electric motor. So my answer is a firm "No. During my time with the car I did not witness a decrease in efficiencies." Of course, since I couldn't measure it, I would be wrong to say it didn't happen at all. See the conundrum?
    3: I petitioned my company to move our offices closer to my home while I was testing the car but they refused. Cold-hearted.
    My drive is 17.3 miles one way so I depleted the batteries twice a day (I plugged in at work).
    4: Maybe but it wasn't me.

Read my blog and review here:
    Interactive Discussion => http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-phv-plug-in/82421-my-real-world-experience-phv.html
    My blog => http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/82492-my-real-world-experience-phv-blog.html
    My final review => Dr. Rangelove (or

6. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.. for all the answers, Tony!