1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those who have installed new hybrid batteries:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by littlehandegan, Dec 14, 2014.

1. littlehandegan

littlehandegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those who have DIY'd the hybrid battery replacement, do you have any tips, tricks or notes I should consider?

My Dorman reman will be here Tuesday, and I have done the research and watched the videos so I feel fully prepared, but would love any input from those who have actually done it.

(Tomorrow I am doing full prep service; oil change, air filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, cabin filter, trans fluid etc)

2. blue 04

blue 04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just went thru the worst 3 weeks of my life installing a Dorman battery in a Camry!!! I spent day after day on the phone with the Dorman technical guy. We did every test that the technical guy could think of. We checked every fuse and fuse link twice. We started early and finished late day after day. I considered taking it to Toyota and eating a huge helping of crow. It was the most frustrating experience I have ever been thru and I'm not a kid. I have been thru a lot. The final fix was so simple I nearly cried. The guys in the axle shop across the street got weeks of making sport of the Camry from hell and us working like dogs and getting no where. Ok the fix you ask. . . . . . . . Dorman paints the hybrid battery case and that paint caused the battery to be insulated from the frame of the car throwing everything off. It just sat there throwing codes. . . . an the final fix??? Scrape paint off of the battery case where it bolts to the frame to make contact. The Dorman guy says Camry is the only battery that has to be in contact with the frame. I don't know. If you have problems check this first. Charles at Huntsvillehybrid. Com

uart likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting. The Prius traction battery ECU has a direct connection to body ground via the wiring harness connector so presumably this would not be an issue with Prius installations.

Since you are a professional installer, I think you might end up with better long-term customer satisfaction by only installing new batteries sourced from Toyota.

4. littlehandegan

littlehandegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got it put in. Took aroud 1:30 between watching videos and stuff.

5. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry probably too late..... but, did you clean the cooling fan and ducts while it was apart?

6. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1...and even if you didn't, take a half-hour and do it now.

7. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Dorman good choice. Same as what installed going strong 2650 miles.good warranty by a solid company to stand by the warranty note a fly by night. my 2 cents

8. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would like to hear your detailed personal experience with this repair.