1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those who installed HIDs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MegaMPG, Jan 16, 2011.

1. MegaMPG

MegaMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to ask those who have installed HIDs what the process all entails. How does one run the wiring from the bulb to the ballast?? Is there a hole/opening/something to run the wire to the externally located ballast?? Do I have to drill holes?

If anyone can help me out I would be more than appreciative. I am on a lease, so I dont want to do anything overly drastic.

Pics are always a plus too, btw.

Thanks,
    James

2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey there MegaMPG. Wiring from the bulb to the ballast is all plug and play. It literally takes minutes to get everything setup right. All you have to do is find a place to mount the ballasts in your engine compartment. You shouldn't have any worries about installing the HID's. You can simply unplug everything, and put the stock bulbs back in if you want to return the car. The hardest part is trying to figure out a place to mount the ballasts. Check out my thread (link below). I used Velcro.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...allation-finished-product-pictures-video.html

3. MegaMPG

MegaMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK so the Prius Gen III has a headlight consturction similar to this:
    [​IMG]

Because my previous cars (Audi, BMW, Infiniti) all had headlights like these..
    [​IMG]
    If you notice the bulb housing where the bulb goes is actually inside the headlight. So with my BMW since it was the only one not to come with Xenon or HIDs, I had to drill a hole to put the wires through to the Ballast.

4. Nuckz23

Nuckz23 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just picked up my kit from DDM for under $45. It seems like everuthing is plug and play.

5. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't worry about drilling any holes. All the wires are accessible without any modifications. :rockon: You'll be fine.

6. RufusNapkin

RufusNapkin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do HIDs result in more battery current being drawn? - I understand the bulbs themselves are low voltage, but the ballasts apparently get hot, so...

7. house

house Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The ballasts draw about 5W apiece so it's normal they would run warm. Still current drawn is less than halogen bulbs, HID are more efficient. Zip ties are the best: cheap, strong, secure. Just find a hole or loop to thread the zip ties through. Ensure the ballast doesn't put weight on connectors.

8. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used zip ties myself but also used very good double sided tape. That will also lessen the chance of the ballast rattling.