1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those who wanted to know: It is possible to camp in a Prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by THF, Jul 20, 2013.

1. THF

THF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But not just any camping. It's possible to load the car down with
    2 people
    1 dog
    And absolutely everything else, including a portable shower, 12'x14' tent (one of the largest on the market), air mattresses (and inflator), a cooler packed with food, a storage box packed with food, portable table, sleeping bags (one of which I think weighs 50#), sheets, towels, camp stove, camp fuel, various tools (matches, Off, etc.) books, a couple other amenities such as the Mac and an inverter, cosmetics, health, and sanitary, a portapotty, etc. and etc.

It's also possible to travel 2,000 miles one way like this.
    So, for those of you who are determined to get leg cramps, and travel a lot, this is one alternative. It also saves a wad of cash on air fare, unless you're going overseas, in which case I don't think they've built a bridge yet. And then, you CAN camp for your vacation, if you don't mind everyone with an RV staring down at you and driving past RV resorts that say things like NO TENTS. Only slightly aggravating, but we solve that by just, um, camping in the middle of nowhere, in Oregon state, 500 miles from the nearest Walmart with no cell reception.

That's just one way of doing it, of course. But, if you're nuts, like us (or just a blazing total cheapskate), you can cram quite a lot of stuff in this car, and enjoy camping and having the dog with you. (Although we only brought the darn dog because we were pretty sure she'd develop separation anxiety problems and fall apart. We have much confidence in her.) Also we're talking about a black, fuzzy, large 75# Briard here, so it's not like an average Fifi that could (theoretically of course) fit in the nice little compartment back there on top the spare tire with the camp stove and spare propane. Of course, we're in Portland right now, and somehow I don't think it would go over well with the PETA folk (no offense intended), especially if we hung a couple signs around such as "We Stuffed Fifi In Neat Compartment - Great Car."
    Er. Anyways. Moving on.

We also did not use a hardtop or "fanny pack" for the car, although I will say I'd like to get luggage racks for the car for one and then maybe it would make kayaking easier. (As in, possible.)

One last thing: Prius has zero ground clearance. All right, that's not entirely correct. I'm sure it's at least 4 centimeters.
    So, when driving up tall, winding, mountainous gravel roads to get to a really good view of the other mountains, avoid potholes made by logging trucks, and ride the ridge in the road to avoid scraping the bottom, and also the Prius just doesn't take the bumps like a truck. (Truck = bump. Prius = BANG.)

So, that's currently our trip, cross country, to go camping in a state where people actually camp. It's only slightly amazing, seeing people voluntarily camping when almost NO one in Missouri camps for fun. If it is, it's usually an excuse to get hung over and they also don't know what hiking is. In summary, it is a little crowded, and takes practice and cunning and... Well, mostly just smash everything back in where it came from and close the hatch real quick.

~HF

ftl, amm0bob, JMD and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great! :)

Welcome to the PNW. Hope you are having a great time here.

We've crammed a LOT into our Prius, on occasion. Unfortunately, I've reached a point in my life where long road trips are no longer a "vacation"...

Oh, and see, the accepted thing is to post your trip MPGs. We can see your average, but what did you actually get on this trip? :D

3. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know it's possible to camp in a Prius. I've seen Boy's Town in West Hollywood...

...nevermind...

;-P

4. THF

THF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the trips not over yet, but I don't think tearing at 75 - 80 MPH on the Interstate system is conducive to good mileage. I don't think we've gotten above 42 - 44 on the interstate, and the mountains don't seem to give us above 45 - 46 even with slow speeds. The trip down is just fine, but the battery only holds so much and to get back up the other side drains the battery and then it's just gas uphill.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  5. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

You should do a travel Blog with a daily travel diary including pictures. Come back here and post the links. Unless your trip is completed.

A few years ago my wife and I did a picture diary with comments on Flicker and included a few vacations. Friends and family enjoyed it. Every so often I revisit the site.

amm0bob likes this.
  7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    and if you are getting in the 40s with that loaded of a Prius, traveling through the mountains (I've done that trip, I know those mountains), you are doing GREAT. :)

amm0bob and JMD like this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've also camped in our Prius, though we took a far more reasonably sized tent, and no shower. We still found lots of room for extras like a barbecue, books, toys, stuffies, pillows....and this was for a family of four. It all fit inside, though it required careful placement. Weight is more of an issue than space - bottoming out on rough roads was a problem.

Bob G IA, Rae Vynn and amm0bob like this.
  9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I need a good car trip just haven't found the time

amm0bob likes this.
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    amm0bob and Rae Vynn like this.
  11. THF

THF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The camping trip concluded: It was a 7,000 mile trip on high-speed Interstate travel, up and down mountains, up the coast of Oregon, around Portland and much more. I am thinking of posting my journal entries online; perhaps I should get a blog. I am, however, reluctant to put that much personal info online - but I could just describe the basic details.

amm0bob likes this.