1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Wackos only: Improving FE in cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by EricGo, Jan 12, 2006.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I have a mild obsession with fuel economy (FE). I know it is mild, because I have never made my children repay their cost as dead weight by pushing the car up hills. But, I would really like to keep my cold weather (20 - 40F) FE as close to 60 mpg as possible.

First choice has been to simply not use the heating. Windshield fogging up has been an impediment, and my passengers whine, but can I handle those problems. But then I started to wonder if my HV battery was being forced to operate in sub-optimal, too cold conditions. That was unacceptable.

My solution for the last couple of days has been to activate auto climate set for 65 F when the engine is running anyway, which in my town of Albuquerque, usually means inclined roads. I shut if off at red lights, and when gliding.

There is not enough consistency in outside temperatures from day to day, and in particular this season is much warmer and the roads dryer than last to really get an empiric notion of how I am doing, but my last tank was 57.4, and my current tank at 200 miles is 59.2 by MFD.

What do you all think ? Am I warming myself up for naught gain ?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dang. If you're maintaining 59 after 200 miles in 20º to 40ºF temps you must be doing something right. I keep trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I use the [Auto A/C] to get the temps up to comfort and then kill it in exchange for the straight vent. I thought that was doing some good. Perhaps on the way home I'll toggle between [Auto A/C] on and off in the way you describe to see if my mileage improves. Then again, today is unseasonably warm so the figures might be destined to be off.

And can't the kids carpool with someone else? Let them haul around your dead weight for a change. :)

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Yeahh !!
    I keep trying to instill in them the proper amount of guilt for letting that diesel school bus come by the house every school day for nothing. They say waiting 15 minutes outside for the bus to come is too much. I say ... they say ..

I try really hard not to activate the AC for at least the first five minutes of a cold start. My priorities are first the engine gets warm, then other things. It also happens that I live in foothills, so if I turn on the AC at my house, my downhill glide is shot.

I have wondered if an EV switch would be a good idea, to prevent the ICE turning on while I am going downhill.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For myself I have my wife lash her wrist to the passenger side door latch and run along side. Please, no one, tell her I said that!

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Your thread title says it all.

Why not buy a pair of 12V batteries, stash them back by the hatch, and run a free-standing auxiliary heating/AC system (possibly using the technology employed in those food dealies that can either heat of chill the contents)? Sure, you'd have to pay for the stuff, but: no MPG hit. (Oh, you'll need a battery charger, too.)

Has anyone here reported inflating tires (or even tyres) to 62/60?

Drive only with the breeze at your back. Refuse to go in other directions.

When not carrying other passengers, remove all other seats and store in garage.

Before setting out on a night-only drive, remove the sun visors and store them.

Remove the towing bolt provided by Toyota (near the jack); store it, too.

To maximize the efficiency of your .26 drag coefficient, never exceed 50 MPH.

Could custom-made helium-filled balloons (including one for the extra glove compartment) be employed to fill most interior space not otherwise occupied?

6. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Oh, bravo!
    Batteries? How about using a squirrel-powered engine warmer?
    Removing the doors every Spring?
    Shaving off every bit of body hair, including eyebrows, therefore minimizing weight of passengers?
    Or forcing everyone in the family to go on extreme diets? Hey, then there'd be weight savings on fewer hauled groceries too!
    Those kids aren't using their legs to walk to the stop and then stand on while waiting for the bus? Time for amputations! Could we get Dr. Fusco to "cut" a deal on surgeries for all fellow PCers?

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Spunky, you don't post enough. :D

I'm keeping my body hair, thank you. But most of me between my chest and knees is expendable.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Way ahead of you. And then some. . . :eek: