1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For you Tech Geeks, check this coating out. Then think what can you do with it!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by KK6PD, Jun 6, 2013.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Too COOL! I want it on my windshield..... NOW! (y)

So what's the catch? Commercial grade paint sprayer(s) needed to apply and common cleaners or pressure washers will take it off. This stuff won't last in an automotive environment. See the application video for more info.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I thought that too but they say it is translucent white so no go on windshields. It lasts a year it says where uv hits it, so for a year of window repellency go wit this: Optimum Opti-Glass Coating, windshield coating, windshield coating to prevent chips

I just applied it as well as opticoat 2.0. I've been so wanting to try opticoat 2.0 for a long time and now that the released basically a 1 year rain-x I went for it.

I like how in the FAQ for the ultra ever dry it says can I use it n the bottom of my boat! They say they are still testing it but I wonder how that would work...

fotomoto likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Funny you bring that up as I recently applied opti 2.0 to the tri-coat paint on my CMax. It's purty! :)

[​IMG]

I hope it lasts a good long time. They say it works on the windshield glass but eventually wears off from the wipers. I did all my other windows though.

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Your color looks quite similar to mine, nice! Did you click the link, that's for optimum technologies new coating made for glass. I only got it because 2 weeks ago it was $20 off in their VIP section on autogeek. I did the front and rear window and still have a lot of the bottle left so although it costs a lot, it will do the vehicle for years to come.

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd put some on the hull of my bass boat! If I can get it in the water I bet I pick up 3-5 mph and no lake water scum to clean after a hard day fishing!

KK6PD likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Cool product. So you're saying this product works? Would be great to treat the rear windows (or the side windows on the old Prius). Maybe even the rear view wing mirrors.

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about the glass wall in the shower, I use Rain-X now, but have to reapply, once a year would work for me!

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not sure yet Tideland, just put it on and it is relatively new (like march or apr of this year I think). But if you look at optimum technologies reputation with opti guard and opticoat 2.0 I bet it will live up to the hype.

Hmm, I too did rain x on my shower doors kk6pd, but good idea for the new product. If it would last probably longer than a year on that application because of no wipers and such that would be yet another great use for it.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What? A tri-coat Volt? CONGRATS! I can't believe you haven't been banished yet as a blasphemer. LOL How do you like it?

I really love the tri-coat on my CMax. Besides the opti-coat application, I also applied a clear mask to the front to hopefully lessen the chips and dings. Most of our local roads are of the chip seal variety.

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I was thinking of your idea of the Optimum Opti-Glass Coating for the shower! I could do both my wife's and my Hybrids, with whats left do the shower! I think the coating I started this post with has really good concrete and foundation coating abilities that may assist in keeping a basement water tight!

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant that the optimum opti glass would be good in the shower as well as on the car. I use rain x on the shower doors currently but hadn't even thought of this new coating in there until you had mentioned it, duh!

Haha, thanks. Honestly, I am loving it thus far and the color is absolutely beautiful. In two and a half months of owning it, I have had 7 people come up to me in parking lots, gas stations and in my driveway while washing it saying how beautiful it is. That's a good feeling, ya' know what I mean I'm sure!

KK6PD likes this.
  13. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Super cool!!....Just think of the things you could use it for?....What is the cost per gallon?

14. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How would you use it?

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a new foundation coat exterior concrete wall. On existing foundation, you would have to trench, clean the wall, repair any damage, then apply coating. I would still apply the plastic sheeting to direct any moisture to the weeping system that would be run along the perimeter.

16. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    For the work involved in those situations, I think I'd go with a crystalline waterproofing product, have something that penetrates right into the wall instead of a delicate surface coating. Fascinating stuff though...