1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forbes BMW i3 REx review

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by el Crucero, Aug 28, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here is a review of the i3 REX by Forbes magazine. It is not very flattering. Having observed several hit-piece reviews of the Tesla model 3 that were just flat out wrong, I am skeptical of this review. Perhaps an owner of an i3 REx, like @bwilson4web , would review the review. Real life reviews are much more helpful than a journalist who has no long term experience with the car.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For having the car for a week, that review was sparse.
    Most of the complaints seemed to be of the "it's different so it sucks" variety. That might apply to the lack of door pulls. Perhaps the latch to open to door is designed to work as a pull to close it. If not, the lack is worse than no cup holders.

They did not get the range extender performance wrong, but its operation in the US was known since introduction. In order to get ZEV credits for the REx model, BMW had to hobble how the car works in hybrid mode. Unlike the Volt and Clarity, the engine is not 'sized' to provide full power to the car. I think it can handle cruising at 70 to 75 mph on flat ground, but any thing that calls for more power pulls it from the battery.

In the rest of the world, the i3 REx works as BMW intended. When the driver knows they are going to be exceeding the EV range, they can activate the engine whenever they want(well, not if the battery is full). So the engine can cover most of the power needs, perhaps even recharging the battery at low speeds, with a nice reserve of energy in the battery for the times the engine isn't enough.

Hobbling for CARB means an i3 REx from the factory can't start the engine until the battery near flat. This of course leads to under powered performance. As an insult, CARB wanted the effective volume of the tiny fuel tank reduced by about a half gallon.

The reviewer should have known about this before getting the car.

Many owners, including @bwilson4web, have a car tuner return to car to pre-hobbling operation.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they should find a reviewer who is successful enough to afford a home, so they can install a charger.:rolleyes:

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or give them a place to charge at the local office.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, maybe they could throw an extension cord down from the 35th floor.