1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forbes: Green Car Ripoffs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Feb 2, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Green Car Ripoffs - Forbes.com

Here we go again about the "payback" period and hybrid premium... They didn't mention resale value and compare the Prius to a Matrix which gets nowhere near the fuel economy. Of course they don't mention some of the other benefits of driving full hybrids that aren't necessarily directly reflected in your pocketbook.

3 people like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think they are just echoing the "Union of Concerned Scientists" who want to see more stripped down hybrids. They see hybrids as being loaded with extras like radios and air conditioners. The irony is "Forbes", the symbol of excess, runs an article about hybrids having too many frills.

Understand I'd prefer to order exactly the accessories I want. I would have bought accident avoidance and lane following in a heart beat but not with an overhead of $8,000 of 'eye candy.' So instead of adding $2k to the car I wanted, Toyota sometimes sells them to ... Forbes buyers.

Bob Wilson

5 people like this.
  3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Indeed...

4. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Resale? Have you guys checked out the prices on a two or three year old Prius? :D

It isn't something you want to see if your looking for a used one.

But if you have a newer Prius it gives you a nice warm feeling knowing the future value of your Prius isn't going to drop like a rock. :)

5. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $23,000 for a mid-size, four door, hatchback is a rip-off?

i don't think so

spending $31,000 for a V is

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Went to Kelly Blue Book website and repeated an old exercise. Private party resale value of Prius 2001-2009, assuming 7k miles on the 09 and adding 14k for every year older. Always "good condition", not changing their default settings for options. That gave a depreciation rate of 12.7 cents per mile.

I did not repeat that with any 'comparable' vehicles (domestic or foreign) but I doubt that one could find many equal or lower depreciation rates over a decade.

The situation has been consistent over the years: Prius has low total ownership costs compared to conventional cars. Major differences: maintenance, fuel costs, and depreciation. Boring. Won't sell glossy magazines.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had no idea keyless entry is still considered a luxury feature despite the fact it has made it down to the lowest levels of automobiles (Yaris, Accent, Aveo, Fit etc) :rolleyes: