1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forbes: Seven Clunker Cars To Avoid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Nov 5, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know why anybody would still buy a Chrysler. That company is almost like Radio Shack; I have no idea how it's still in business.

1 person likes this.
  3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree, Skoorbmax. I own a 2007 Dodge truck (2500 w/ diesel) and would might consider another based on the Cummin's diesel ..... but I would not even walk into a showroom to look at a car. Consumer Reports sure does not find anything worth consideration.

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 1999 Chrysler NEON, bought new, gave me nightmares for years.
    The devaluation on that car was horrible too.

A 4 year buy at 0% interest, after 26 months, the car was worth nearly 3k$ less than the loan.

I had to switch to, and lose thousands of dollars, away from the Neon into a 1996 Toyota Tercel, pay off the Tercel to get a Corolla later. I took 3 years to pay for the Tercel, did 50,000km on it, and Toyota gave me some 5k$ for it against the Corolla.

The 2006 Canadian Prius, bought at 32k in Sept 2006, I got back 18k$ in May 2010 to trade. Go figure!

A friend that had the 1995 Pontiac Grand Am fully equipped, after some 150,000km and 7 years, GM was giving him only 500$ for it, and there were visible signs of rust.

Yet my 1996 Tercel w/138,000km netted me 5k$ in the same year (summer 2002) that I had paid used 12k$ w/86,000km.

Too bad, the interior of the 99 Neon was great, roomy, though it drank fuel at 2x the speed as my previous car, the GM Geo Metro (lol).

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah the neons were not great ;)

I drove a Challenger earlier this year, the V6. It was ok but slower than it should have been. I drove also a V6 Camaro (same price, direct competitors) and frankly have no idea why anybody would EVER buy the Challenger after driving the Camaro. They are night and day different.

6. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    as a jeep owner, i must say i'm surprised. just goes to show that ratings don't mean everything.

7. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The simple answer to that is the Challenger looks 100x better then the Camaro.
    But they are heavy.
    I've got a 2010 wrx and my neighbor has a 2009 Challenger R/T 6spd and my wrx KILLS it no problem...
    Now, my wrx is slightly modded with a ECU upgrade called a Accessport where I can swap maps with it. Put it on the fuel econo map and I can get 7.4L/100km on the hwy.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my father (90 years old) traded in his 2000 mustang convertible for a sebring convertible. not bad if you don't mind all the rattles and buzzing sounds and poor mileage. he traded that in for an 09 sebring hardtop convertible. i think it's part benz. about 35 grand and what a nightmare. bad engine, bad injectors, interior parts falling off. you should see the contortions the hardtop goes through to put it down. 4 billion moving parts.

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the understatement of the year. Those 2 cars weigh more than some SUVs (Wth???). While the camaro is still the "sportscar" of the two, they still have dynamics (and a lack of agility) like Mercedes models (which all weight like 4k lbs).

Your WRX would benefit greatly from a high capacity fuel pump, an injector upgrade, and going E85 (116octane). Well, at least till you broke the transmission (assuming you have the 5sp).

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They wanted to give the driver the true retro experience of the original cars.

Which is why, in a recent showdown held by some magazine, the Mustang came out on top.

11. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most of the time, These ratings don't mean squat. Consumer Reports was actually busted for favoring certain brands and types, Talking down on other brands as well.

I saw the Colorado made the list. My Question is to why?
    It's a much safer replacement to the S-10, Gets better fuel economy, And it's very reliable.

The Chrysler Sebring? Yep, And all out pile of junk.

Jeep Wrangler? I suppose it rides like crap but, It's built for off road use.

I know tons of Mechanics around my area. I know all the vehicles they see in the shop from day to day, And ones that are least likely to be in the shop.

The Chevy Colorado/Canyon is the least likely to be in the shop.

12. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol!!

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Consumer Reports was actually busted for favoring certain brands and types, Talking down on other brands as well.
    "

Link? I've looked before but never found much on CR being biased...

14. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Statistical problems of Consumer Reports auto ratings

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping that you would point to an unbiased source, or at the very minimum a source potentially less biased than CU.

1 person likes this.