1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Dealership Gets "PlugIn" Friendly

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 12, 2012.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not too long ago, I asked on PC, "when are the EVSE's gona show up at Toyota Dealerships?" ... and in some part, the response was that it'd be dumb for dealerships to do that until "they actually start delivery of cars". Was that quesiton really that dumb?
    It'd seem to appear that the Springfield (PA) Ford dealership is dumb thinking like me then. The Ford dealership just installed an EVSE:

Plug in your engines: Springfield Ford Lincoln welcomes electronic vehicles to use new charging station | Business News

Can you imagine that? Putting out the eggs before the chickens? ;) . . . . . it's as though they're throwing down the gauntlet in front of Toyota ... what with the PiP so near on the horizon. C'mon Toyota ... don't get caught with your pants down!

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Whaaa? OMG. Doesn't seem right. :eek: That, right there, could spark other local businesses people to think the very same way. And then it might spread. Pretty soon, a whole lot of places might have charging stations. And what kind of world will that be? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

3. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my little town of Monroe, GA there is now a Level 2 charging station at Walgreen's. In nearby Conyers, GA there are two charging stations in the parking lot of the Cracker Barrel restaurant.

Right up the street from the Cracker Barrel, John Miles Chevrolet has added an outdoor outlet for Volt users to plug in but not a full fledged charging station.

4. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    food establishments would be a good place to put chargers.

come charge your car and eat!

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In our little county of Orange, CA, the local IKEA in Cost Mesa has several new Blink chargers (fancy touch screens, and you just swipe your card!). A few miles away, the little local mall of South Coast Plaza has two electric chargers in the parking garage below the mall. In fact, when I took this picture, there was a Nissan Leaf parked there. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yet out little local Toyota dealer, Power Toyota Irvine, still doesn't have an EV charging station yet. :(

For those interested, I just found this via Google:
    http://www.blinknetwork.com/

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The stations that I see in your photos are stations where the user pays. Here in my area, the stations that I'm seeing are ones that are free to the user. The businesses are paying for the power.

7. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That will be a great future if businesses advertise "free EV chargers" as much as they advertise "free wifi" today.
    Having said that, I would rather see an entrepreneur, driven by profit, put in hundreds or thousands of EV chargers today rather than continue to read media articles of journalists complaining that there's nowhere to charge EVs and so "they are not practical."

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It appears to me that the driver of the Leaf is taking advantage of the "EV Reserved" designated parking spot, but isn't charging his vehicle. (Unless there is another charging unit hidden by the car?):confused:

SimiPrius, who posts on the forum, told me he contacted Costco about updating their charging stations (they have the old ones from years ago) and was told there is not enough demand or EVs to warrant any upgrades. I spoke to a manager at our local Costco yesterday, and he was interested in what I was buying, and said he would send the suggestion on to the appropriate people in the organization. Hope it goes to someone besides the person who answered SimiPrius' email.:(

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think Ford's got a good idea. Along a route the Ford dealer becomes a destination. The non-Ford EV owner has a reasonably comfortable place to hang out for a length of time and can look at Fords. Here's a chance to move someone from "won't even consider" to "maybe buy".

Lots of work needs to be done. If Nissan, Ford, someone (anyone) installs a few chargers between State College & Philadelphia I'd be happy.

10. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is like the "free wifi" concept, and other businesses should do it to. Unlike free wifi, you won't be staring at your computer the whole time, and instead you will be shopping (think Costco or Best Buy). Heck, with Plug-in hybrids, like the plug-in Prius, the battery is only so big, so the business will have an easier time justifying the cost of the electricity versus the increased business.

Hopefully once the Prius PHV, Ford plug-ins, and more plug-ins are on the street, Costco will take a serious reconsideration of that statement.

11. byegas

byegas New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    II
    I currently live in New Jersey. I'm originally from Delaware County, Pennsylvania just 5 miles from Springfield Ford / Lincoln Mercury.
    I own a 2003 Toyota RAV4 EV with over 90,000 miles. We stopped by and charged up using the Leviton charger on Friday April 13, 2012. The folks at this dealership were very gracious in letting us charge our RAV4 EV. I wish all dealerships would be this open and forward thinking when it comes to installing charging stations. Ford Focus EV is expected sometime later this summer. Looking forward to a test drive. Thank you Jim Thomas at Springfield Ford.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Actually ... the one pic looks like south coast plaza (FREE) and the other is Ikea ... which is free. Not only that ... but get down to Ikea before 10am ... and you can get the usually priced .99 cent bacon/egg breakfast for FREE !! ... imagine that? ... fill your gut AND your car ... for no cost (I almost said, 'no charge' ... but that'd be incorrect ;)) Now THAT's a store I used to never darken their door ... and now & try & buy their stuff when ever I can.