1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid achieves 2.67 L/100 km in the city!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In order to support plug-in technology and biofuels as part of a drive for energy independence, the U.S. Department of Energy will include the Ford Escape Flexible Fuel Plug-in Hybrid in its vehicle fleet.

The Escape Plug-in Hybrid can run either on gasoline or E85. At the end of the day, users can charge the batteries by plugging the vehicle directly into a power outlet.

Full Article

2. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I quit reading after this because I could not stop laughing:

"In order to support plug-in technology and biofuels as part of a drive for energy independence, the U.S. Department of Energy will ... " :pound:

... Brad

3. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    88mpg in an Escape hybrid? How? cruising down hill?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    88mpg in a PHEV FEH... yeesh.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    For the life of me, I'll never understand why the Fed's chose the Ford as a platform for their PHEV. Ford had to buy / cross-license its technology from Toyota. There are gobs of HYHI's and RX-400h's out their compared to the Escape ... which I believe isn't even sold in every state!

88mpg? So then the PHEV will do better using NON-grain based fuel. Why not do that? Why not just use regular gas? Or a diesel? How much more will corn costs and C02 counts have to go up ... and how many more articles will have to be written regarding the foolish wastefulness of plant based fuel, before the government gives up on this idea.

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

This is another piece of hybrid misinformation that keeps re-popping up in messages and articles.

While you are closer to the truth then others who say Ford bought the technology there is far less commonality between the Toyota and Ford systems then you think.

Ford has over 100 patents on its hybrid system. Toyota has a similar number. There were 21 patents that had to be cross licensed between Toyota and Ford. Toyota wanted to use some of Fords diesel technology that it had patented. So there was a deal.

Ford had made its system independently from Toyota. Some of parts that we think of as the heart of the Toyota system (the planetary gearset) were around long before the Prius. Most of the patents deal with battery management and computer programming and control of the hybrid systems not the mechanical bits we all think of.

Too bad Ford has not met the demand for these great vehicles. The production has only risen about 20% in the past three years. Toyota has more then doubled production since then.

7. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree. . . When I started looking at hybrids in early 2005 the decision was between the Prius and the Escape Hybrid. I chose the Prius because I didn't need another small SUV ( I still have a Subaru Forester). If I were looking today the same two vehicles would be at the top of my list.

8. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How long? Until the next President. Hope we can survive until the end of the year. Bush does not make it easy.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    - The HiHy is a lot more expensive than the FEH
    - Ford's system is their own proprietary system
    - Did the 88mpg say it was from E85? It just said it was a flex-fuel PHEV that could run on E85 or pure gasoline.

10. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    The 88mpg looks pretty impressive. I'd like to know if that's including the precharged battery energy.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is this even available to the public? :confused:

Wildkow

p.s. of course not, never mind.

12. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Interesting. I wish Ford the best of luck.

I am still waiting for a Ford Focus hybrid to hit the dealer lots. In the U.S., they would sell millions.
    Ford should create their own program to recycle SUVs into new cars.

13. Cootunit

Cootunit New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think Toyota got some Ford catalyst technology as well, so overall it was a good deal for both. As I work in the industry, I can tell you both companies are still rather touchy about this topic.

14. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    (I erased the comment I had typed. Sorry)