1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Fiesta Econetic coming - 64 mpg US

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by clett, Jul 22, 2008.

1. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Over here in Europe, we are soon to get the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic:

Green Car Congress: Ford of Europe Introduces Fiesta ECOnetic; 63.6 mpg US

Fuel consumption of 3.7 L/100km (63.6 mpg US) with CO2 emissions of 98 g/km on the combined cycle.

Extra-urban highway fuel consumption is 3.2 L/100km (73.5 mpg US).

Acceleration from 0-100 kph in 12.3 seconds and top speed of 178 kph (111 mph).

:)

2. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Its a FORD, I have owned 3 mustangs, 1 ranchero, 1 pinto, sure learned how to work on cars buy owning a Ford. Now I find out they are donating to the Gay and Lesbian Causes. Why can't they just sell better vehicles????

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wooo Hoo, we get to debate the Ford Fiesta all over again!!! :high5:

Anyone else having a groundhog day moment?

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What does Ford's quality have to do with the GLBT community?

BTW, Ford's support for gays and lesbians has two main components.

1) They treat their gay and lesbian employees like the rest of their employees

2) They advertise in gay and lesbian media because they realize that gay money spends just as good as straight money.

I don't see a problem here.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! :rockon:

Ford quality has been on a major rise in the last couple years as well.

6. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've owned new Fords starting in 87 through about 2003, my spouse has too starting about 90 though 2001.

We have never, ever had a single repair issue with any of them other than normal maintenance.

I'm sure they make a few lemons like any manufacturer will from time to time.

Go Ford!

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about having to wait an extra 2 seconds to get to 60. as is.. with my agressive driving, i'm just barely up to speed on highways up here while leaving certain onramps.

if the prius was 2 seconds slower it would probably get higher mpg... ha.. haha....

8. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Blah....blah....blaaaahhh! I'm a bit weary of American car makers telling us about how they're going to start selling smaller fuel-efficient cars......later. I think they'd be wise to shut their collective pie-holes and start producing. Right now they just look pathetic and ridiculous at having been caught with their proverbial pants down around their ankles.

9. DropDeadRed

DropDeadRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, being less likely to have a kids and be broke because of it, gays and lesbians would on average have more disposable income. This would make their money spend even better than straight money :)

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They have nothing else they can do. They can only "assure" the US market that they will be coming with fuel efficient models. They weren't prepared for this (too busy making $$$ on SUV's and Trucks). It would be worse if they were silent, as people would think that US automakers rolled over and gave up.

In the meanwhile, they will continue to lose market share to car companies that produced more fuel efficient models.

11. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  12. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Reportedly if you hit it with a stick, candy falls out.

13. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is very likely true enough, but what I was basically trying to say, and not doing a particularly great job of it, is that if they would devote as much energy to re-aligning their production to put out smaller more fuel-efficient cars and trucks, and stop devoting so much time and money to hyperbole and "concepts" (i.e., the Volt......just shut up and build the damned thing, GM!!), we'd all be better off.

14. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "Powered by a specially-calibrated version of the 90 PS (66 kW, 89 hp) 1.6-liter Duratorq TDCi, combined with coated Diesel Particulate Filter, the Fiesta ECOnetic offers fuel consumption of 3.7 L/100km (63.6 mpg US) with CO2 emissions of 98 g/km. Extra-urban highway fuel consumption is 3.2 L/100km (73.5 mpg US). The Fiesta ECOnetic accelerates from 0-100 kph in 12.3 seconds and has a top speed of 178 kph (111 mph)."

Is this car a diesel hybrid? The article says something about "66kW, 89 hp" and there is mention of a "coated Diesel Particulate Filer." If so, that helps explain the high mileage claim.

A few weeks ago while in Austria I drove an Opel Corsa diesel that had Eco in it's title. It was a small stick shift and I got 47 mpg average. Not bad...

15. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [​IMG]

WWJD08, are you really Larry Craig? (who, btw is NOT gay ... really!) :D

... Brad

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No the Fiesta is not a hybrid it is a turbo charged diesel engine.

In Europe cars are usually rated in PS or KW, not HP like in the US. 90PS, 66KW, and 89 HP are all equivalent ratings of the output of the engine in the 3 different units of measurement.

17. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When in Italy this winter, our host had a 5 door Ford diesel and he was getting an easy 45mpg on their main hiways cruising, better on the slower raods. I believe he said it had a twin turbo and was at the time the highest rated as far as emissions.

The only down side was it was a stick. My wife can't drive a stick to save her soul.

18. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What is "PS" ? I see KW in Euro car magazines all the time and quickly convert it to Newton-meters/sec and then into HP with a simple calculator or sometimes in my head, but I don't ever recall seeing "PS."

19. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where were they 2 years ago when I bought my Prius? I would rather have a Ford, just not the ones currently on offer. Also, so what if it gets 63 mpgs, its still diesel, more costly than gas to buy, and stinkier for the environment. I think I'll pass. Ex Ford owner - happy Toyota owner.

20. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PS is Pferdestarke which is german for Horse Strength.

1 PS = 0.9863 HP