1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Focus EV photos and write up

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by caffeinekid, Jan 7, 2011.

1. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't get to go to the CES this year in Vegas, but it would have been one to remember with Ford introducing their Focus EV. NICE looking car! :)

Linkies: Ford Focus EV , CES 2011 Ford Focus EV , Houston Chron Focus EV

Still nothing on pricing though. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Elegant looks!!

I like the plug-in location, this will help me not to pull my garage with me (plug-in is in the front looks nicer with build in safety switch).

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good! A little aston-martin-esque with the new aero grille.

4. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is a great looking car. Go Ford! I can't wait to drive an EV.

5. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I really like it over the Leaf.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks: check

drag cd: ??
    cost: ??
    kWh pack ??
    battery chemestry ??
    warranty ??
    air/liquid cooled ??
    0-60 ??
    options ??

So . . . . we know it looks good.

7. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is exactly what I thought when I saw it too. Nice!

But looks aside the Leaf will be more efficient.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  9. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see this link for comments v. the Leaf:
    Ford Unveils Focus Electric, Claims Better Driving Dynamics Than Other Electric Cars | PluginCars.com

Excerpt: Much like its closest competition, the Nissan LEAF, the Focus Electric will offer around 100 miles of range (depending on driving conditions) packaged into a five-door hatchback, as well as all the other benefits of driving electric cars including a near silent ride, incredible efficiency, a high degree of internet connectivity, and extremely low per-mile operating costs. But the Focus Electric will offer several features that the LEAF doesn't offer—and has been criticized for lacking—including:

• A higher speed on-board charger (6.6 kW) allowing it to be charged from standard "Level 2" 240 V home charging docks in half the time of a first generation LEAF—adding about 30 miles of driving range per hour of charging.
    • An actively liquid cooled and heated battery pack allowing for stable battery operation over a wide range of temperatures and lower temperature-related swings in driving range.
    • Highly customizable gauge cluster and center stack displays allowing drivers to make the information displayed work for them in whatever detail they desire—including battery state-of-charge and calculated driving range

10. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I encourage people who are interested in the Focus to check out their FB page under "Ford Electric Vehicles". There is a lot of information there.

Also, I would like to assume that Ford has teams who are smart enough to recognize the opportunity to cash in on Nissan's backlog for the Leaf. If the Focus were available in any kind of numbers by 3rd qtr 2011, I believe that it would pay dividends for them. Personally, I would reserve one TODAY if they were available.

Ford Focus' YouTube Channel

Ford Focus' Info Page

11. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't agree more... I'm on my second Prius and it will probaly be my last. The offering next year looks unimaginative and dated. The EV competition is getting much better, and the technology that Ford has put into this car has me actually considering purchasing one. The panel video in the links below shows what a real work of technology should look like.

Meanwhile, in the Prius community we get a hideous looking SUV, a compact that looks like something sat on it, and a PHEV system that's a year too late to the market. Add in the lackluster dealers we get to deal with here and the horror is complete.

12. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Careful there.
    I'm shocked you haven't been slammed by the regulars here for that.
    But I agree, Toyota is sitting on its laurels as the market passes them.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nice...makes me almost regret my Leaf purchase....then again, i guess that feeling passed after a few seconds

14. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course it did! :D You will have had a good year of experiencing a production grade EV-- not to mention the largely reduced footprint, even over the Prius-- before Focus drivers will get their shot at it.

I made the tough decision to forgo the Leaf and wait for the Focus. When they released the photos it only made me that much more happy that I did. Not that the Leaf is bad looking or anything, quite the contrary IMO, but I do like the Focus better.

15. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's one high tech golf cart!

16. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After looking over the links, this is a nice looking vehicle, but I have to wonder... If Ford ditched all the flashy high tech, gee whiz gadgetry and built a base Focus EV with roll up windows, manual door locks, a distance to empty gauge that worked accurately, and sold it for between $12K - $14K, where the average commuter could actually afford it, they would probably sell a ton of them!

Take it a step further, how about a solar panel roof that will trickle charge the battery while parked at work or rolling down the road? Add a couple high effency wind turbine generators behind that huge grill (that apparently isn't needed for cooling) and add low resistance generators to each axle (along with the regenerative braking) all controlled by a computer management system and you could probably extend the range to at least 250 miles between charges! Talk about not having to depend on fossil fuels!

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    1) stripping the electronics might lower the cost of the vehicle by a grand at most. i think we need to get away from high tech being expensive to produce. new high tech is, but wrinkles on the same old stuff which is what Ford has here is not.

2)wind generators adds expensive (see #1) unnecessarily and also adds drag lowering range. on an EV, every inch counts. it is unlikely that the Focus EV will have an open grill. the electric motor will probably be water cooled, but unlike a gas engine, the cooling needs will be very modest and outside cooling to the radiator to dissipate heat will not be necessary

so therefore you cannot extend range unless you extend charge capacity which adds a lot of expense and weight. this "charge on the go" technology we are decades away from anything useful

18. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A nice car and lot of toys.
    Just notice how these marketing materials are not talking about the performance and technical details. we don't know max speed, acceleration....
    The most crucial point from my point of view is a HEATING. I need a heater for about 8 months a year. In EV you have to discharge battery to produce heat and it will be reasonable eater.

19. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't personally see EVs as they are currently engineered as a good fit in very cold or hot environments for any kind of relatively decent range. My advocacy applies mostly to the millions of drivers in more hospitable regions. EVs are not the entire answer, but certainly could and should be a considerable portion along with biofuels and a more efficiently operated infrastructure (ex: rail). America in particular has a long road ahead in this regard.

20. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    What you're describing sounds dangerously close to perpetual motion. Getting more energy out of the wind turbine than it takes to turn the blades isn't possible so it would reduce range. Same thing for generators.