1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Fusion hybrid: 47/47/47 MPG

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Sep 20, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Reviews and Ratings - The Car Connection

Well done!

Bob Wilson

2. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it.

If I hadn't bought a Prius already, I would think I had to look at this new Fusion too.
    I predict that, despite the higher price, it will be a real competitor.

3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is unfortunate that in their 15 mile drive they could only manage 36 mpg. Not that one should expect them to hit 47 mpg in that distance a trip, but if that ends up being the "real world" number, the potential Fusion hybrid owners may not be overly impressed.

I hope it works out for Ford, it means that Toyota will need to keep improving the Prius.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Keep in the mind the 36 mpg was from the display on a car going through the hands of multiple journalists, and likely idling between drives with AC on.

Most of these articles leave out key details with the mpg number. making it hard to judge if their results are typical of potential drivers or not.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is good to see Ford remaining in the hybrid competition. I know I really liked the 2009 Ford Fusion Hybrid and the new one sounds much better.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And we're getting it next year in the UK in RHD form, marketed as the Mondeo.

If priced competitively, it will be a Prius killer.

austingreen likes this.
  7. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOW! I can't believe it is a Ford. This will be my next car in a few years if they don't redo the Camry/Prius with significant improvements in MPGs and creature comfort (less noise in the cabin).

8. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hope they sell a zillion of them.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hope it sells better than the last one.

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is a great looking car, at least in my opinion. I hope the Lithium batteries hold up to the test of time like the Nickel batteries have shown capable of doing. It will be a good time for hybrids!

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I believe that in part, the reason the EPA re-vamped their formula for guessing at blended/freeway/city driving was so that the average driver's results would be reflected in the EPA's approximation ... and why they say YRMV

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Of course they are driving it hard, but on normal roads to get 21 MPG? I remember when i gunned G3 like crazy on city streets (so lots of traffic lights, stop, then race to the next), i got 35 MPG :).

I dont think we will see Fusion hitting 40 mpg averages on fuelly.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have to admit I'm finally seeing a car to compete with our 2003 Prius. The slight loss of MPG is more than made up for by the larger interior space and power. If it handles as well as some of the reviewers claim . . .

Bob Wilson

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. I have gotten 16.9mpg indicated in my prius.:) Clearly they did not test fuel economy. Should I be comparing my 16.9 indicated (and it normally reads 2 mpg above) and say the fusion gets better milage than a prius. :(

Trollbait likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I went on a test drive of the Camry hybrid with a friend. The displayed mpg was in the twenties. We hadn't reset the display before the drive though. So who knows how many other testers is calculated in that result. As testers, they may have been gunning it to get a feel of the car, or sitting in it, checking out the features with the AC on. I imagine journo testers are the same way, and their numbers can't reflect what most people will get in everyday driving.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Camry Hybrid reviews - oh, great mpg!
    Prius Hybrid reviews - amazing mpg!
    Ford C-Max reviews - It is unfair to comment on mpg.
    Ford Fusion Hybrid reivews - Mpg is low but it might get better.

Explanation: All journalists are driving Ford's like they stole them while they baby Toyota's to get maximum mpg :).

Or maybe, same thing is happening like old Fusion Hybrid - Ford optimized for EPA and not for real life? Just like many of us here thought it would happen.

p.s. Camry has bigger trunk despite Nimh batteries, and it is actually >1s faster to 60. Which is about the same as C-Max being faster than Prius.

I think weight of 200-300-500lbs more compared to Camry, Prius v, Prius is what is the main differentiator here... You simply cant go against the weight.

18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So we're taking it as a fact that because some journo gets 37 mpg, then that's all the Fusion is ever going to get? Oh what short memories we have. How many times do we all grumble about a Prius review where the reviewer has somehow managed to get 35 mpg?

The Fusion/Mondeo hybrid looks like a winner and if Toyota started giving us a car that doesn't rattle or have cheap, easily scratched interiors, then we wouldn't want to look elsewhere.

xs650, Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When I linked multiple reviews in the C-max thread that got 40+mpg with the car, your counter point basically was that those were Ford press events over a short, defined loop, and don't reflect real world fuel economy.

This Fusion review is one from such event. I have given reasons on why their reported number from the display may not be an accurate representative of what end users will experience. Since it is worse than the Camry here, you imply it should be taken as gospel that the Fusion has horrible mileage.

It is one review. Other reporters from the same event, like ones for the C-max, aren't even mentioning fuel economy. Likely because the realize such a number isn't accurate for the real world. Like you once did.

xs650 likes this.
  20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good post Grumpy, my Prius is a car that I bought, not my identity or mother. If something better comes along, it's to my advantage.

It's a car, not an iPrius:)