1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Fusion Hybrid Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by TonyPSchaefer, Oct 17, 2010.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife's asking me to change the oil in her FFH.

The manual recommends 10w20. It's about to get really cold here in Chicagoland and I'm hesitant to use 10w oil. The suggested interval is annual changes. I'm considering Amsoil and the Amsoil website recommends 5w20 for the Fusion though it does not specify hybrid.

I have found people who claim that varying from the manufacturer's recommendations will void the warranty but I also found out about the Magnusson-Moss Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

What do you think? Should I go with the Amsoil 5w20?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    MM doesn't prevent the manufacturers from requiring you to use oil that meets specifications, it does prohibit them from requiring you to buy your oil from them. Buy an oil that actually meets any specifications that Ford requires. Using a 5W-20 instead of a 10W-20 shouldn't be a problem.

Don't use the Amsoil while under warranty unless actually has been approved by API and Ford or whoever else's specs Ford calls out. Amsoil is well know for putting mealy mouth words on their oils that make you think it has been approved by various organizations when it hasn't. Phrases such as "use where recommended" are clue that it isn't actually approved.

Amsoil is an excellent product, but during warranty you should stick with whatever the factory specified.

EDIT: ??? The 2010 and 2011 FFH manuals I found online recommend 5W-20 oil

Be sure your oil has the actual API trademark symbol, not some cheesy "use where recommended" mealy mouth words.

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think they'd be able to tell if you have 10W20 or 5W20 without some expensive testing, and I doubt they'd go through the trouble. I've started using 5W20 in all my vehicles (except the prius) will no ill effects... You could probably even go with a 0W20 full synthetic in the winter, would ensure the top end gets lubricated at start-up on those cold mornings and probably help FE!

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Where would you buy 10W20 anyway? Seriously, I have never seen that grade for sale. 5W20 will meet (and should exceed) all of the specs of 10W20.

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I read it straight out of the printed manual that's in the car. I can scan it if requested. If they've changed their specs away from 10w20 and to 5w20 then I suppose this thread becomes moot.

Same here. I removed the sentence from my original post in which I said I'd never heard of it because I wasn't sure if my never hearing of it was simply because I don't get a lot of exposure to engine oil types.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    API doesn't list any 10W-20 oils on their list of licensed oils. I think the 10W-20 you saw was either a typo or a hallucination:D

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll go with a typo. Nearly all of Ford's old engines have been back certified for 5w20, and the new ones call for it. It's likely the manual meant 0w20. With a one year OSI, calling for a synthetic makes sense.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm going to have to claim user error. I can't recall where I saw 10w20 oil because I pulled the manual last night and it clearly says 5w20. Now I want to track down what I saw to cause my confusion.