1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Previews Next-Generation Hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by joe1347, Feb 19, 2008.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Possibly I missed it, but this is the first time I've run across a press release on a Ford Fusion Hybrid. With 60% improvement in City mpg (four cylinder), I'm assuming this translates to 20mpg city x 1.6 = 32mpg city for the new hybrid Fusion, with the 20mpg city from the Ford web site.

Ford Vehicles: 2008 Ford Fusion - Specifications

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No EcoBoost hybrid?

3. oldensign

oldensign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I looked at a Ford Escape Hybrid (and its Mercury twin) when it first came out and again last week. It was completely unacceptable. These hybrid vehicles are NOT available with electronic stability control (ESC). The non-hybrid Ford Escape is, but not the hybrid. According to Consumer Reports, they have incredibly bad braking.

How do you make a brand-new vehicle and ignore these little details? I know there's a lot of equipment mounted on the wheels of a hybrid, but other manufacturers seem to have managed.

I never could get any straight answers about the Mazda Tribute, so I just went away.

Is there any indication if the new Ford hybrids will have ESC and brakes not borrowed from....oh, I don't know....the Pinto?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably their way of turning people away (as you've just did) and then saying "see? No one wants to buy our hybrids"

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Supposedly, the ESC will be available later this year.
    Why they didn't just offer it to begin with? The first Escape hybrid released was delayed a few years, and they didn't want to mar the restyle release with an even minor delay. Ford didn't have the money to buy the parts at first, and needed to sell some units before getting them.
    Don't know, but stupidity and incompentence is more likely than maliciousness.

Ecoboost is limited to Lincoln for now. I did see a pre-Ecoboost announcement report which stated a direct injection 4cyl. would be available for the Fusion. It would have the economy of the4 and power of the 6.