1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford to redesign Ford 500 since it sucks

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/29/Autos/ford_woes/

...Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal reported that Ford is already looking at design changes for the Five Hundred sedan, which first hit showrooms in October. The newspaper said changes would be meant to spice up its styling and interior, which the newspaper said have been criticized as too bland.

Auto manufacturers normally wait four or five years to redesign an automobile after its introduction. The Journal reports the newly designed Five Hundred would arrive in dealer showrooms in the middle of 2007, less than three years after the debut.

But the newspaper said Ford is making the more immediate moves as it faces disappointing sales. The newspaper said its average monthly volume during the last four months would give the company an annual sales pace of about 83,000 vehicles for the Five Hundred, or about 17 percent below its 100,000 sales target.

The newspaper quoted one executive, whose name was not given, as saying the redesign is in response to "critical comments from the media and consumers that the Five Hundred is staid and too conservative."

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Duh, can you say "K car"...what a lame looking vehicle.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I laughed at the subject line. Nothing like a little bluntness, eh Danny?

It's true, though, that the five hundred is bland. I mean, I first saw one on the road and from a distance wondered what it was. Then up close, was trying to figure out what Ford could possibly make a fuss about. I never saw the interior, but there was nothing even remarkedly stylish about the thing. Other than the Plymouth Reliant, it's probably the only car I ever saw and thought, "blah." (and not in a good way, as in Count Blah, blah.)

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm I do see a lot of Ford 500's sitting on the dealer lots, hardly any on the streets. Maybe that's why? Yeah they are sort of uninspiring.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There's lots to be said for a name that invokes interest as well.

500? 500 what? If Ford had wanted to illicit some nostalgia they would have made it the Galaxy 500 from earlier days.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Chrysler 300 did OK, but if everyone started naming their cars the Dodge 200 or the Chevy 700, it would get old pretty fast...what the hell do the numbers mean. That 500 doesn't have a 5 liter engine, it isn't the 500th car Ford designed (or is it?) I like names...words with meaning....like, say.....PRIUS!!!

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't like to beat around the bush :) I laughed last night when I saw an ad on TV for Ford Tauruses that are still sitting on Ford lots. They were offering something like $5,000 off or 0% for 60 months.

Remember when you didn't have to offer 0% APR in order to sell cars?

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Evan your reply mentioning K-Cars gave me a shudder. I was suckered into buying one of those 'disposable' after 50,000 miles cars once and it is why I will NEVER BUY AMERICAN autos again. In typical corporate shortsitedness they gouged me once but lost a lifelong customer. I doubt I am the only US Citizen who feels that way.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John:

Some folks learn, but most just line up like sheep every 3-4 years to repeat the process all over again. No thanks, I learned my lesson with my 2000 GMC Sierra.

Jay

10. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    One wonders what it is that Pontiac is trying to do with the naming of the G6 and soon the G4 and G8 anyway? hmmm... does G=Garbage with an exponential choice of 4, 6 or 8?

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    500 people in the whole US thought it looked nice.
    500 failed attempts at design.
    500 better cars out there for the money.

Who knows?

12. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is Ford's problem with the 500. It isn't quality or fit and finish. That's stellar. It isn't size or comfort, they have hit the nail on the head. It is a combination of rather plain appearance and powerplants that aren't up to snuff or are rather outdated. The 2005 model year of the 500 and Mercury Montego, they are using old V-6 powerplants, out of Taurus/Sable. In 2006 they will be offering entirely new powerplants. When I read that a few months before release I was not impressed or happy. They had designed a vehicle before finishing their engines. That is a technical and marketing mistake. The auto press reported this deficiency and as such I bet there are a lot of buyers out there that are waiting until more modern and efficient power plants hit these cars. The next generation of Ford's V-6s should be more powerful and much more efficient and better tuned for a vehicle like the 500/Montego, and also better tuned for that CVT auto they developed.

The 500 and Montego are the right replacements for the Taurus/Sable, however some styling flash and getting the correct engines in them will solve a lot of their current sales problems.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm impressed at Ford that they can design a car with a lot of room and boot space within a midsize-like body..... and that's about it. Like jeromep said, the powerplant is ancient and 201hp isn't enough to carry the heavy vehicle. Carguide did a comparison between the 500, 300 and Allure (Lucerne? Lacrosse? I can't remember the US name) but out of those, I wouldn't take any. The Chrysler has poor build quality, the Ford only looks acceptable in top Limited form and the Allure's styling is boring at the back and twin-headlights-gone-wrong at the front.

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jeromep, your sig is awesome:

"Hybrid drivers come in 3 flavors, greenie, techie and cheapie. Pick any 2."