1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Transit as Handicap Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bwilson4web, Aug 22, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My wife has become all but wheel-chair bound so we need a better solution to carry her around town. The Ford Transit has a fairly small wheel base, narrow, and a lot of interior space. It can be ordered stripped for so we can tailor it for my wife's needs.

Any good, bad, or thoughts about this approach?

I am open to alternatives but right now the Transit looks to be a pretty good match for our needs.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just for clarification, this is the Transit Connect now available. Ford is going to start offering the Transit, a full size van, to replace the Econoline in the next year or two.

Ford took advantage of the FWD by giving the Connect a low cargo floor. Most, if not all, commercial vans are RWD, which requires a higher floor. While it would be cheaper if made in the Americas, the Connect is still likely cheaper than getting a minivan and stripping out its interior for conversion. The Connect also has the >180 degree opening for the rear doors as an option.

The Connect was designed to be flexible to meet a consumers needs. In the early days of minivans, it would have converted for family use like the Astrovan. I don't know of any negatives that would keep it from working for you. The only other similar option is the Nissan van that is being used for NYC taxis. I've only seen its larger brethren on Nissan lots though.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks,
    I've seen some tall Nissan vans but haven't gotten up close. Sad to say, the Nissan web site isn't very helpful (or it hates Firefox.)

I'm leaning towards the Ford Transit as I'm seeing some nice conversions that lower the floor along with good straps to hold the wheel chair / scooter. There are a pair a couple of hundred miles north that I might take a trip to visit on Saturday. I also have to chat with our banker to figure out what makes sense.

The width is 31.5" and I need to measure our electric scooter. Hopefully ours will fit but ... things to check.

Bob Wilson

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Ford Transit Connect has been a wheelchair taxi conversion in the UK pretty much since the vehicle was released here in 2002.

I guess the ride would be more harsh as the vehicle is more van than car but it is popular as it is a compact, fuel efficient wheelchair adaptable vehicle. Wheelchairs/electric scooters vary in size and type so it would be prudent to check your wifes chair fits comfortably, but otherwise it should be a nice car.