1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford unveils electric Focus with 75-mile range, 85mph top speed

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Rybold, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Focus goes on sale in the United States in 2010 and
    a battery-electric version of the Focus is scheduled to go on sale by 2011.
    http://www.freep.com/article/20090915/BUSINESS01/909150406/1322/Ford-unveils-U.S.-bound-compact-minivan

September 16, 2009 4:58 AM PDT By: Wayne Cunningham
    Ford Focus BEV
    Ford partnered with automotive parts supplier Magna to quickly develop this electric version of the Ford Focus. It uses a 100 kilowatt motor and 23 kilowatt-hour lithium ion battery pack for a range of 75 miles and a top speed of 85 mph.
    Photo credit: CNET
    Electric cars at the Frankfurt auto show - CNET Reviews[​IMG]

In North America, Ford plans to build both the Ford Focus and a battery-electric Ford Focus at Michigan Assembly in Wayne -- opening up the possibility that Ford could also produce the C-Max there.
    The Focus goes on sale in the United States in 2010 and a battery-electric version of the Focus is scheduled to go on sale by 2011.
    http://www.freep.com/article/200909.../1322/Ford-unveils-U.S.-bound-compact-minivan

More info:
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/200...um-ion-battery-frankfurt-prototype-photos.php

3 people like this.
  2. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2 people like this.
  3. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I saw this new car on the Jay Leno Show tonight. It looked great and it appeared to drive great when Drew Barrymore threw it around the race track.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is really good news. It puts Ford at least in the running of the
    behind the scenes technological race to bring the new generation of EVs
    onto the market. Sure there are EVs available now, like the Tesla, but
    they are for the most part high dollar sports cars.

What about just basic commuter cars for you and me? Now Ford joins
    Mitsubishi, Nissan, Think, BYD, Mini, Hyundai, Aptera, Smart, Subaru,
    MB, and other makers who are looking to provide the cars of the
    future; roadable, highway capable electric cars with meaningful
    ranges.

My hat is off to Ford. When I get news of Focus EV beta test cars in the
    hands of real drivers like you and me, I can be certain that this is
    serious, and not another case of pie-in-the-sky, low-Voltage
    vaporware.

And what about Toyota? Well, there is this at least:

"...Toyota has been talking about a city car with a price tag under $20,000,
    reports The Detroit News. That hints at a possible EV version of the iQ,
    which has been tipped for possible U.S. sale at a starting price under the
    base-level Yaris's $12,000 list price. Whether the new EV would share the
    Scion badge that's expected for the iQ, however, is unclear.

"The battery-powered concept car could be a short-range-only vehicle,
    unsuitable for highway use, reports The Wall Street Journal. If that's the
    case, it wouldn't likely fare well in the U.S. outside of New York City or
    similarly population-dense locales..."

Toyota announces battery-powered FT-EV concept for Detroit Auto Show - MotorAuthority

It sounds like a DNF (Did Not Finish) in this race.

1 person likes this.
  5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yep, 75 miles would get me to and from work and run a few errands along the way.

1 person likes this.
  6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anything would look great with Drew Barrymore in, on, or around it!

But I applaud Ford for doing this. Now build the damn thing for sale to the public for crissake!!!

7. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The city would be the perfect place for this car. It does not go on the highway, it does not go long ranges, it can fit brilliantly into parking spaces - it's perfect for the city. For people that live out in the country (I have multiple different relatives that live out there), they have to drive a good distance to go to the local store or the grocery store or anywhere else. Those are the people that need a car that can go highway speeds and travel further ranges.
    (yes, I realize that you quoted the WSJ, and those are not your own words)

1 person likes this.
  8. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL, yeah, I'm sure you were focused on the finer handling aspects!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    perfect for the city??,...except where are you going to plug it in? A city dweller would have no option but to rent a space in a high priced parking garage, ...and then pay extra to plug into one of their outlets, assuming they had one.

And the 6 to 8 hour charge time is just a lot of down time.

There is just "something wrong" with a car that you can't just get in and go.

I'm all for cleaner vehicles...and I know we've got to start somewhere. Hybrids make sense right now. Plug-ins do also for someone who can recharge in their driveway or garage. A pure electric car? This will be a niche product for quite some time.

I am now 55 years old. since I was a kid of about 12, I would read magazines like Popular Mechanics, Road and Track, and other news magazines. Every so often, I would read a story that went like this, "We will all be driving electric cars within 5 years". It will come, but probably when I am dead.

1 person likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    amen!

11. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I totally agree with FJ. Most EV-only vehicles will only be a niche market vehicle for some time. The people who would need them the most (city dwellers) usually won't have the facilities to recharge them.

And can you imagine having something unexpected come up during your commute? Such as your spouse calling to tell you that your child unexpectedly needs to be picked up at school. You then have to respond "sorry honey, I don't have enough charge left"!

Or how about getting stuck in a traffic jam for a few hours in hot weather, or during a snow storm? We'll start seeing regular reports on the evening news of abandoned EVs on the highways. And undoubtedly, some will be left right in the middle of the travel lanes!

1 person likes this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A substantial number of cars will spend 8 hours a day at the employer of the owner. Plugs for employees would be a great 'benny' for a wise employer.

1 person likes this.
  13. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And that is different to gas how? A lot of people run around putting $5 - $10 of gas in their vehicle daily because they do not plan on using that full 350 - 400 mile range of their full tank.
    The truth is that an EV would make 95% of Americans (even those of us that live out in the country) a great everyday vehicle. And being that 85 % of American households are 2 car homes and over 50 % are 3 car homes they would fit in perfectly with a traditional car or hybrid to compliment it to carry you for days when you would need to travel those longer distances.

1 person likes this.
  14. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Maybe someday. Currently, the national grid can barely keep up with demand during hot or cold weather. Assuming that an employer would be interested in putting in enough plugs for all their employees that switch to EVs, how will our current infrastructure support this?

The current idea is that people will charge their EVs at home at night, when demand is lower, not during peak daytime hours at their place of employment.

1 person likes this.
  15. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    How is that different from gas? Let's look at few more scenarios:

- assuming that you forget to put gas in your car at night, the next morning you can call work and say "I'm running a few minutes late because I have to stop and get gas". With an EV it would be more like "I'll be 6 or 7 hours late because I forgot to plug in last night".

- If you have to stop on the way home because of an unexpected delay (urgent errand, major traffic delay), it can mean as little as a few minute delay to stop and put in a few gallons of gas. With an EV, it would be more like a several hour delay.

- with a gas vehicle (or hybrid), if you run out of gas on the highway, you can probably be back under way in less than an hour in most areas (CVS van, AAA, walking or getting a ride to a gas station, etc). With the EV, I doubt that the "CVS van" will have the ability in the near future to roll up to you with a big enough portable generator to get you charged up in a reasonable amount of time.

Now if EVs come out that can be charged in 10 minutes, then that would be an big advantage. Of course, getting it to a place that would charge it would still be the trick.

And as mentioned in a previous reply, the national electrical grid is in no shape to support the recharging of numerous EVs during the daylight hours. So I wouldn't expect to see charging stations at places of employment to keep pace with the need for them.

As far as the statistics about 2 and 3 car homes: I wonder how many of those second and third cars are "not required" vehicles, meaning that the owners can "choose" when to use or not use them? I would imagine that in many of those cases both spouses work, and may not have the luxury of sharing a ride. And many of the "third cars" may be used by students in that family. So for these type of situations, the EV may not provide enough "flexibility".

Of course, if someone is affluent enough to afford a car that they only drive when they want to, then the EV may work just fine. I just wonder how much this is true for the "typical" family.

1 person likes this.
  16. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a lot of talk about electric cars are 'city' cars. I don't think they should be thought that way. In cities like NYC most people would have no place to charge at night, and charging during the day is a bad idea for the grid.

Cars with 40-100 mile ranges would not just work in the city. I am in the suburbs 14 miles from work. I could plug in at home AND at possibly work if needed. Many people are just outside of a city and work within. Others do live in the city and have a place to charge.

In short these cars would not be for everyone but would work very well for others. The more green choices the better!

1 person likes this.
  17. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree. It would be irresponsible for a car maker to make a car that would "need" to be hooked up to the grid during daylight hours or when there is peak demand for electricity.

And suppose a bad storm knocks out power to a region for a few days? At least with a hybrid, you could get around until you run out of gas or drive to an unaffected area. Hybrid/PHEV is the way to go for now.

1 person likes this.
  18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The fallacy in the above argument is the assumption that the nation will convert to EVs over night, and then everyone will have to charge at work, leaving the grid without sufficient capacity. In fact, adoption of EVs will be gradual, giving the grid plenty of time to be expanded, in both generating and in carrying capacity.

In addition, there seems to be an assumption that we have a choice. That we have the luxury to choose between switching or not. Our real choices are, switch to EVs or leave ourselves stranded when the supply-and-demand equation makes gas unaffordable. Of course, if you are my age you have a third choice: burn all the petroleum and leave the next generation totally f*#@ed.

Guys and gals: You can argue about whether EVs are "good enough" to support your present lifestyle choices of living an hour's drive from work, or you can recognize that this present lifestyle is not sustainable and is going to leave the next generation without sufficient energy to maintain an industrial economy. Civilizations collapse when they exhaust their resources. And when that happens, it is massive starvation, misery, and death on an unimaginable scale. Every mile you drive in a gasoline car is one more nail in your child's coffin. Or your grandchild's.

2 people like this.
  19. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    small pain in the butt detail. my understanding is that it charges at 230 volts, not 115. i could be wrong. so instead of common household current it uses the same as your dyer and range., sooooo. it better have a lot of safety things attached because 230 can be extremely fatal if you get shocked. just my humble not real informed feeling
    fred from nashville

1 person likes this.
  20. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got that part right, at least. :p

I highly doubt any EVs will be 240v only. All should be able to do a slow charge on 120v since 240v is not readily available.

But even then, all the charge plugs are specially designed to eliminate the chance of electrocution or shock. Even if you are an idiot.