1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford's Hybrid Strategy Will Save Money and Bring Hybrids and EVs to the masses

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ford rose back in the 1900s because Henry Ford optimized the assembly line. Looks like Ford is building on that right here.

Technology Review: Ford's Plan to Hedge on Hybrids

2012 Ford Focus EV
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good for them. I hope it works out.
    Only time will tell.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We want a multitude of approaches, so those that work are not drug down by those that fail, just like Prius was not harmed by GM 'hybrids' that were just stop/start cars with decals added.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can tell alot about where we are at as far as change and Fords approach to alternative automobiles by the title they gave Nancy Gioia-"Director of Global Electricfication."

There was a time not so long ago where a title like that would of sounded ridiculous or comic bookish...Now it's real.

On one hand? These are exciting times because of the options, the change that seems to be coming.

But I do think these are difficult times to predict. When I read that article the one thing that sticks out is that Ford wants to stay versatile. They want to be able to react to whatever the market demands, be it plug in, hybrid, or simply more efficient ICE automobiles.

Read some of the comments below the article. I'm afraid the reality is that what will eventually lead to the greatest degree of change, the most rapidly, will be crisis. Inevitably someday when gas permanently breaks the $4.00 a gallon level and rises, suddenly the allure of plug ins, electrics and hybrids will become irresistable....even to many of those that accuse todays users of being simply smug, elitist cheapskates that want a political or social statement more than a real transportation option. A stereotype I do not believe in.

Another observation is that I find it interesting that the entire article speaks of Fords future within the Electric, Hybrid and Plug In automobile genre, without mentioning Toyota. Seems to be a chosen Bias. Comparisons are made to GM and an hereto unrealeased VOLT...but no mention or comparison to Toyota, or Toyota's marketing success and approach? For that matter no mention of the upcoming Leaf? Just seems strange to me that you would speak about the future of Hybrids, Electrics and marketing approach and NOT even mention Toyota, The imo major mainstream automaker who has been the leader in these area's. Infact, the automaker who's technology Fords current Fusion is based on.

Anyway, I'm Director of Personal Coffeeification....I need caffeine..sooner or later we all plug in something one way or another.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

This is fine with me, as long as the bring back a Ford Probe that actually looks like/and has the Ford Probe concept/ Ford Probe concept Cd.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    All Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Cars were setup for demonstration success and no effort given to production planning. The original Honda Insight was not a production tuned car. (hand welded AL Frames!) The Volt spend quite a few years as a Marketing Ideal rather than a car being readied for production (and then only in fits and starts).

The Prius was designed for production from the start.

Ford is setting up for production success on their first EV(s).

1 person likes this.
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The more options and competition the better.
    Glad Ford appears to be working production in a way that gives them a lot of flexibility.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. This sounds like the current version of The Beancounter's Path. The standardization of parts brought us basically the same car built & marketed as a Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile or a Pontiac/Chevrolet. Let's ask Pontiac & Oldsmobile what they think about the long term success of that strategy. IMO Ford's "standard chassis" will be a compromise. It won't be the perfect EV platform or the perfect ICE platform. Both cars will suffer. Instead of an opportunity to build one outstanding car they will build two mediocre cars. So now let's put a mediocre Mustang EV up against a Tesla. My opinion: The Mustang will have less range, lower performance, and perhaps a lower price tag.

If Ford's idea were so easy to accomplish why aren't there more Ford EV conversions out there?

9. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is some validity to you point, but there are some good counterpoints also. The chief one is that it positions Ford to ramp up production very quickly. Telsa will take years to get to significant production (You might be on that waiting list a long time). Toyota had to spend most of a decade getting all the unique Prius production tooling and processes ramped up to full speed. Ford's approach may not make the optimum EV, but if there is a very big market for a good-enough EV, then they are very well positioned with this approach.

One other point is that an EV does not need all the components an Hybrid does, but an EV does need to be very cost contained to be a profitable mass market vehicle this early in the introduction stage. What Ford is doing allow them to concentrate on the most important need for a successful production car.....profitability.

By the way, was not the Ford Ranger one of the first conversions to an EV?

10. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would rather a compromise than what we have right now.

I would rather a car that has aesthetics that the general public will feel comfortable driving and not feel like the shape of their car might be viewed as "different" by others. Sure, the Prius and Insight will still be for sale ... it's been for sale for the past several years (you know what I mean) and is everyone who buys a new car buying a Prius? I was out to lunch with some of my coworkers today and a Prius was driving slow in the middle lane and one of my coworkers say "wimpy little Prius. how gay," and my other coworkers laughed (4 of us in a 4-door Accord, not my car). Yes, I like the Prius. But a lot of people don't want to stand out as being "different," and if Ford is going to install the hybrid powertrain into cars that aren't shaped like an egg (I like the Prius, and you know what I mean by this), and it's going to get the people that aren't buying a hybrid right now because they don't want to appear as different or be categorized or labeled, then I would rather have that than what we have right now. One of my co-workers recently purchased an SS Camaro and everyone thinks it's totally cool. It is. But the gasoline bill isn't. Neither is the BP oil spill, pollution so thick in cities that kids are developing cancer and asthma, or the melting of ice at the earth's poles.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I see a difference in 'we will design vehicles so that different power sources can be used' to 'we can shoehorn in any powerpant'. If Ford is truly designing cars to be fuel neutral, I am all for it. If they are designing for ICE and planing on stuffing anything in there, not so much.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Very much a thing to observe. Certainly this has been GM's approach with fuel emission controls, diesel engines, and "hybrid" incorporations in their vehicles. However, the guy in charge at Ford does know the difference between style and substance, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The GM CEOs never did figure out the difference.

13. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For my money, the Prius is still the best, most fuel efficient hybrid around. Saw a review this morning of the Lexus 250H compared to the Prius--how it was more powerful, luxurious, etc. Wrong comparison. The right one is with the Camry hybrid, which has the same engine as the Lexus and is close to the same size. But everybody wants to compare vs the Prius--the standard for all hybrids.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep
    honda was supposed to bring the Insight to the masses ... silverado too ... and the malibu .... etc ... supposed to bring 'em to the masses. Then reality hits. Even so Ford ... give it your best shot.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds just like the Volt concept car. It can be an EV, it can run on hydrogen, it can be a hybrid.

If the platform is not optimized for an EV the vehicle is going to be heavy, the storage space is going to be full of batteries, and the performance is going to be on the low end. I don't see "the mainstream" buying them.

Take the light weight EV platform and drop in an ICE and they may have something to sell but it won't be cheap as they have to recover the additional expenses of aluminum (compared to steel). At least it will make conversions easier.

If Ford follows the engineers they may have something. If they listen to the accountants they'll end up with crap.

16. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    .. and let's keep in mind that Ford did manage to get 41mpg out of the Fusion/Milan/Lincoln. Compare to Camry Hybrid's 34mpg? I don't think many of us expected Ford to get 41mpg out of that chassis. I think we were all surprised.
    We would be wise to wait and see what Ford comes up with for the Focus. We might be just as surprised.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think those ford/camry numbers are right. we consistantly get 38-45 mpg in our hycam. i think that's around the same as real world fusion. still a compliment to ford tho, eh?:)

18. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the real-world data. :)