1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford's hybrid SUV goes for a test drive

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jkash, Jul 1, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford's hybrid SUV goes for a test drive
    Mileage suffers off road, but 40 mpg in city

But don’t look for the 50- or 60-mile-per-gallon government fuel economy ratings that the smaller, lighter-weight Toyota and Honda hybrids have.

While declining to give final fuel economy numbers for the Escape Hybrid just yet, Ford officials have talked generally about the vehicle “getting up to 35 mpg†in city driving and as much as 40 mpg on the highway.

This would be better than the 19 and 25 mpg, respectively, for a four-cylinder-powered, gas-only Escape with automatic transmission, and the 18 and 23 mpg, respectively, for a gas-only, V6-powered Escape with automatic.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Inside the Escape Hybrid, the display screen in the middle of the dashboard draws immediate attention. Its graphics display and constant fuel economy calculations aren’t as flashy as those in the Prius but serve to remind riders that stretching every bit of gas is a key benefit.

Fuel display a costly option

Note, though, this display is paired with a navigation system, operates only when the radio is on and is a $1,850 option. In the hybrid cars on the market, fuel-economy and energy-flow graphic displays, sans nav system, are standard equipment.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Ford Escape is the reason I have ordered a Prius. I was researching my alteratives. I have a in at Ford as my brother in law works for Ford and we are eligible for a special purchase plan that would make the Escape attractive but when I found out that Ford had purchased their technology from Toyota and it was the last generation (2nd) I thought it made more sense to use the most recent technology. Also I really don't like the local Ford dealership it was bad enough when it was locally owned but now we have out of town owners and they have had issues with the authorities. I have also had people tell me stories about their purchase experiences that were not good. Service is very expensive although the job has gotten done each time.

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is that really true that Ford is leasing "classic" Prius hybrid technology rather than the state of the art technology in the 2004 Prius? If so, it 's a deal for Toyota, making money on semi-obsolete technology; like cleaning your bedroom by unloading your junk on your younger brother who still thinks it's cool. Ford's advertising makes it look like they developed the technology rather than having sat around with their thumbs up their butts. Still, I think it's great that the Big 3 are (finally) getting into the hybrid act and making some solid environmental/fuel efficiency changes. SUV's are an excellent place to install this technology.

5. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    It's not clear how much of their hybrid system Ford developed themselves - from what I've read here, it could be anywhere between 0% and 100%. It's entirely possible that they developed something very similar to Toyota's technology and then discovered Toyota's patent and had to license it to sell their product legally. Or maybe they did, in fact, buy last year's toys from Toyota.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in between - perhaps they copied the principle of HSD but wrote their own control software, for instance?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not quite...
    Ford 'claims' to have independently developed their own hybrid technology that just coincidentally is VERY similar to the classic prius hybrid technology. And to avoid any possible patent infringement suits chose to pay a fee to allow use of the technology.

Despite the tongue-in-cheek above I do think that Ford tried to develop their own technology, but probably couldn't help but be strongly influenced by the Prius and thus to 'accidently' emmulate the technolgy in many ways.

While it is, indeed, last generation technology by 2G Prius standards, it's still a big step for Ford and I applaud their having the guts to do this. Something GM doesn't have.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I read somewhere that Ford developed something simular to the Toyota but could not get the computer control to work right and leased that from Toyota. I could ask my brother in law but probably would not get a answer. Never hurts to ask. Mabe if I get him drunk, though come to think of it I don't believe I have ever seen him in that state, is a straight arrow kind of guy.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On Ford's web page about the Escape Hybrid, it refers to "the" (singular) motor-generator, and an electronically-controlled CVT.

Is that a simplification, or is there only one MG? And what sort of CVT does it use? Is it a cone-and-belt CVT like the Hondas, or does it use a planetary device like the Prius (which isn't really a CVT, but which even Toyota refers to as a CVT)?

Several people have compared it to the Classic Prius, but I don't actually know the differences between the Classic and the '04.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In this month's C&D they do a little mini review of the escape, and they mention that Ford has put the generator, motor and brain into a much smaller package than toyota has done, suggesting it's use in other cars. Looking at the cutaway view of the engine, the entire hybrid portion of the powertrain is between 1/3 and 1/4 the size of the 2.3L ICE engine.

They really seem to have done a nice job with the Escape.