1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford's Second Generation Hybrid Vehicles-Ford Escape '08

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by hb06, Nov 27, 2006.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "While Ford has scaled back some hybrid vehicle plans, at least in the short term, the company is not ending its hybrid technology investment. In fact, Ford will be displaying its second generation hybrid powertrain at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week. The new powertrain will be displayed in a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid."

"Toyota made huge gains in efficiency and power with its second generation hybrid drive compared to its first generation drive. As a result the Toyota Prius sent a notice to every automaker - the hybrids are coming, the hybrids are coming."

http://www.soultek.com/blog/2006/11/fords-...d-vehicles.html

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds good. Ford will still be ahead of its "brothers" GM and DC.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Second?

How come a "softer, seamless transition", "economy mode", and "new display" equate to a second generation label for Ford but all the design improvements of the Prius upgrade in 2000 don't?

[​IMG]

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Of course, when any manufacturer claims that their vehicle "achieves almost 35 mpg" I wonder if that's the optimal mpg that most of us won't get most of the time or ever. Ever since the American auto companies brought that debate to the forefront and got the EPA to change its testing, the issue is muddied because are we hearing the rosily projected mpg when it's convenient or are we hearing the "real" mpg that Ford has been fighting so fiercely for?

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 28 2006, 04:13 AM) [snapback]354734[/snapback]</div>
    For 5 months at least.

You do realize that GM/DC/BMW's Two-Mode system is coming out this summer, and is probably the most advanced system out there, right? Initial estimates for the Suburban have it pegged at 28MPG. That's pretty impressive for a vehicle of that size.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's too bad that Ford lost momentum on their hybrid system. They picked the wrong car (small, not very practical, and with bad MPG to start with) and never got around to getting it right. From my understanding they are lagging in battery technology compared to the Prius and this update doesn't seem to address anything but "flashy new lights".

Me hopes are now with Toyota and GM and that is surprising me as I always thought Ford would be the 2nd hybrid provider.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jan 30 2007, 07:34 AM) [snapback]382783[/snapback]</div>
    phew, that was so long ago I didn't even recognise my own post lol.

We'll see but 28mpg is pretty damn good for a full-size SUV. Isn't that close to HiHy mileage?

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 30 2007, 09:59 PM) [snapback]383091[/snapback]</div>
    Really close...

It's a shame Toyota can't figure out how to do a multiple displacement system... I think a Highlander with MDS could get close to HiHy mileage at very little added cost.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota does have a multi mode system. It will be released in the 600HL hybrid. A two mode system. That's the system they called Lexus hybrid drive... er.. whatever it is. Too bad Toyota doesn't borrow the same system scaled down a bit ( less power ) for toyota vehicles. eventually they may be forced to.

10. fred s

fred s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My company purchased a 08 FEH 2wd. I have personally driven about 200 miles in it. The worst mpg I got with AC on was low 20's. The air conditioning compressor is only mechanical so it did not run when running with the ICE off. There is a "econ" button, which when disengages forces the ICE to stay on for the AC.

Driving in slow traffic I was able to get up to 38 mpg average according to the mfd. I noticed that the electric motor can crank out enough torque to "blend in" with traffic so as to not irritate other drivers. after about 30 mph the ICE runs all the time (not sure if it cuts out during regen but don't distinctly remember it doing so.) I have test driven a few priuses and it seems like the ford can sustain more thrust than the prius before kicking on the ICE.

Why am I still waiting for my prius instead of just picking up a FEH for my own personal use? HOV lane usage. The Prius and the Civic Hy are the only vehicles (and the insight) that are listed in the cleanpass in ny.