1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Foreclosures and West Nile Virus.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The first horse has died of West Nile in San Diego County.

The San Diego Zoo just lost a rare pink pidgeon in a protected breeding area of the park to West Nile.

The County provides mosquito fish for free to residents to eat the larvae in standing water. With the rise in Foreclosures, more and more back yard pools are becoming breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

However there is a shortage of fish. What fish the county has now are being rationed because they didn't get the order they placed with the breeder.

The breeder says that fish numbers are down due to warm weather, possibly a consequence of climate change.

So we have: Climate change, the economy, and public health.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Drain the bloody pools and the problems solved. geez...

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, they're foreclosures. I imagine there's a legal problem there. I'm sure if it was that easy, someone would have thought of it before. In the meantime, this isn't the first I've heard of pools from foreclosed homes harboring mosquitoes.

It was the first I heard of a shortage of free mosquitoe fish from the county and the low breeding from the warm weather.

4. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sacramento area experienced something similar last year, with high foreclosures and concerns about standing water in the empty properties. Neighborhoods would 'take charge' and visit each of the empty homes to make sure there was no standing water. I don't remember there being legal issues, but it's not hard to imagine that someone sue-happy would cause a big stink.

5. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    tough to keep draining all those pools after any rainfall. I fear that this may be the begining with rodents etc... the mouse virus we have here in NM -- i forget what it's called---any rate comes from their nesting.....James Kunstler advises we should access these houses as a source of reclaimed building materials...James Howard Kunstler that these properties will serve a purpose in that manner since after a time period they will be unusable as habitation.
    Froley

6. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have thousands of mosquito fish in my dragon fly pond.

I started my school of mosquito eaters with about twenty my neighbor gave me earlier this year. They multiply rapidly. Between the dragon fly swarm and mosquito fish school I have a yard which is virtually mosquito free even though my lot is next to wetlands.

Below are pictures of a very simple trap a person can make in about 3 minutes with a 2 liter plastic bottle, knife, twist ties and string. Yesterday, I used the trap pictured to catch about 20 mosquito fish in about 5 minutes for my Dad. Use bread for bait. Make sure to submerge the opening in the water so the fish can get to the bait.

Directions for building the trap may be viewed at Bicycle_Canoe_Trailer down on the left side of the page.

The mosquito fish pictured were other fish caught with the trap and then tranported to virginia for a coworker's pond.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there any concern about non-native species messing with the eco system where you're transferring to?

8. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, these are non-natives but have been in the US for quite a while. Here is the location where I transported the fish: County of York - EDS - Mosquito Control Fish Hatchery.

You bring up a good point which isn't a problem here in NC.

Mosquitofish this website provides this quote from California code...interesting since the little fish have been in state almost 100 years?

It is against California Department of Fish and Game regulations for private citizens to plant mosquitofish in waters of the State without a permit. (Title 14 CCR, Fish and Game Code, Section 1.63, Section 6400, and Section 238.5).

Never the less is an abandoned pool "waters of the state"?

I have read some info on the web about concerns with the non-natives impact on native amphibian populations but the overwhelming amount of info I have read indicates that these fish are an accepted means of mosquito control.

Here is a PDF Gambusia Control Homepage which touts the use of natives for mosquito control. The trap I described will catch native minnows also.

9. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oops...deleted double entry.

10. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the info and links. :)

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The banks that now own the properties should be obliged to drain/cover the pools because this is fairly significant human health issue.

I think you're think of the Hantavirus. Which it ain't a nice thing to come down with.

12. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ah' thanks yes the hanta virus----had one of those geezer moments----

i hope there will be pressure on the banks to maintain these properties but i unfortunately don't hold out much hope on that one on a long term basis, which i fear this may be.
    thanks again
    Froley

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, it won't be easy, but in the case of the pools it really is a health issue. draining and covering shouldn't cost too much and the maintenance should be minimal. They can just checkin with google earth once every year or so. ;)

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think they may be overwhelmed with the number of foreclosures. I also think some people are leaving without telling the banks.

Just recently we had two men arrested for a scam where they were renting out and taking deposits on houses that were going through foreclosure.

I worry that the foreclosures will end up disenfranchising voters.

Our county has a push going on TV about eliminating standing water and trying to keep the mosquito population down. But between the foreclosures (and it doesn't have to be pools, it could be a dog bowl or a flower pot with standing water) and people who are just careless, West Nile has already claimed a horse and a rare bird at the zoo.

I was lucky last year. But every time I get a mosquito bite, I worry I could become infected. I worry for my dog too, but so far, no dogs have died of West Nile.

While in theory the banks may be responsible, in practice it's hard to enforce.

15. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It was a big controversy last year... they sprayed all over this area. I have to admit that I see much fewer mosquitoes this year, but consequently, I've also noticed many fewer songbirds this year.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The whole industry is overwhelmed with the number of foreclosures. The system as it stands is set up to process the inevitable small number of foreclosures that occur with normal operation, not the wholesale flood that is now occurring. Banks don't want to be landlords, they want to lend money. As a result, I suspect the banks will be fairly poor landlords.

Tom

17. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The banks have noone to blame but themselves. If they don't want so many bloody properties then they ought to do better due diligence when they invest in home loans. The greedy wankers are getting their due now... Unfortunately, we all pay for it.

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is true. Absolutely true.

In the meantime, I don't think you can drain a pool like you do a bathtub, by just pulling the plug. And you'd have to know the home has a pool. The bank would have to hire someone, since I doubt this falls under any job category of current employees. They're in such trouble now, this probably isn't very high on the list. So if a government entity with muscle doesn't hound them and if there aren't fines attached for failure to comply....the pools are going to stay as is.

19. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Google Earth would tell you really quickly in most cases. Probably in 95% of the cases you could determine it. Also, the bank has specs on the house. They usually hire a realtor to try to sell it (foreclosures are quite popular at the moment) so they know if there's a pool or not.

20. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bring back the pillory and this nonsense would end presently.