1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by amped, Feb 25, 2008.

1. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the claims interesting and the ability of the scientists to apply the Scientific Method to correct assumptions admirable. More testing and data, please, and soon...if funding can be found to test the theory that could impact current funding for competing agendas.

"And remember the Arctic Sea ice? The ice we were told so hysterically last fall had melted to its "lowest levels on record? Never mind that those records only date back as far as 1972 and that there is anthropological and geological evidence of much greater melts in the past."

"But if environmentalists and environment reporters can run around shrieking about the manmade destruction of the natural order every time a robin shows up on Georgian Bay two weeks early, then it is at least fair game to use this winter's weather stories to wonder whether the alarmist are being a tad premature."

"We missed what was right in front of our eyes," says Prof. Russell. It's not ice melt but rather wind circulation that drives ocean currents northward from the tropics. Climate models until now have not properly accounted for the wind's effects on ocean circulation, so researchers have compensated by over-emphasizing the role of manmade warming on polar ice melt.

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You realize you just sent us to a link for a controversial news source owned by a very controversial media conglomerate right? lol

I'm all for new evidence but I'm not about to try an obtain it from a newspaper or hyperbole ridden news source with an agenda. Instead I'll keep an eye on the papers that are published and the comments from other scientists concerning ones that are not published. :)

3. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Although I got it from a reputable news site, I wasn't sure so hedged my lead-in.

At least the quoted excerpts seemed benign. Is Prof. Russell a fraud? I really don't know, but the quotes and claims about record low temps were noteworthy from my layperson's perspective.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly couldn't tell you if Prof. Russell is a fraud or not. I'm usually inclined to give professors the benefit of the doubt but I still question even the highest authority on a subject simply because history has shown enough of them to have been wrong yet everyone listened due to their status as an authority. I'll give Ales Hrdlicka (1869-1943) as an example of someone who was bent on disproving or downplaying new evidence to support a theory. He played a pivotal role in shooting down any new evidence that might prove that humans inhabited North/South America prior to 13,000yrs ago. As a very prominant figure in anthropology he held much sway. :)

5. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fools mistake is to confuse weather with climate. The coldest (hottest, driest, wettest) season on record is weather. The coldest (etc) decade, century, etc is climate.

To confuse todays weather with climate change is crazy. The climate models suggest that the extremes of weather will increase with projected climate change. Climate change DOESN'T mean nothing but warming, but rather warmer in some places, colder in others. Same for dry/wet. Climate change will change the weather, the weather doesn't change the climate.

Icarus

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's about climate change.

Climate

Change

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Too

difficult

for

some

to

understand.

8. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do

You

Still

Beat

Your

Wife?

That's how I and a substantial part of the scientific community view the "climate change" argument.

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is one of those occasions when looking at the data helps:

[​IMG]

That last dip is a little scary...

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been cold in the interior of continents because more heat has been going into melting polar ice, and the chilled air then comes south. Don't fret, it will be nice and warm again this summer and the sea ice will reach a new low.

For discussion of global warming by atmospheric physicists and climatologists see
    RealClimate

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe the melting of the ice caps get the temp of the sea lower and therefore interrupts the sea deeper channels that go around the world en distribute heat and cold?

(hope anyone with the nohow of this can put it in better English:D.sorry)

and this maybe is natures way of preventing a real overheating period of the planet.
    so instead of heat ( maybe for a few years ) there Will be a ice age..

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No worries mate. Your (insert native language here) is no doubt better than mine. I can talk to infants in german and french, but they need to be particularly dim-witted or I'm in over my head. :)

13. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The same sort of thing happened in American health/diabetes research. It probably happens all the time. The true usually gets out sooner or later though.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Historically the earth has been very hot and very cold and seems to swing up and down in temps fairly drastically. These wide swings are punctuated by fairly stable times similar to what we are currently experciencing. So far the data is showing that the earth has experienced drastic changes in global average temperatures over a very short period of time. I'm not syaing this is what is going to happen again but it is very possible and in my opinion a guarantee that it will do so again at some point in the future. :)

The earth plays this little balancing act due primarily to the life on this planet which is why more people are starting to like the "GAIA theory" (not to say the earth is sentient in some way). If not for all the bacteria, photosynthesising organisms, insects, etc. we would likely not recognize the planet nor would we be alive. :)

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it does. It's sad but it seems no different than any other sector or life. :(

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I think the point is not to deny this has every happened or will ever happen again.

It's not to be an active participant in rushing the process along.

If the earth is going to heat up or cool down....let's not bring it on a few centuries before it's normal due date.

17. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Clearly it is too early to tell whether the now quiet sun will remain that way and what effect that will have on global temperatures. There are some interesting temperature trends at present and some are speculating that things like PDO are shifting to a cool regime. We will all just have to wait and see - there is no guarantee temps will go down, or up.

In the meantime -- with respect -- I find the "it's all about climate change" comments less than compelling. For years all we have heard is about how the earth is burning up, we're overheating due to "global warming" caused by man, the ice caps are melting, etc.

Funny now how the story is changing. The alarmists are starting to sound a bit like Bush on Iraq -- shifting their rationales, explanations and stories as the conditions around them change.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If sun spot activity does indeed decrease (I'll wait to see more studies on this) then how does that change explainations behind the effects of CO2 and climate change? It doesn't, it merely means a significant factor has changed within the system and we should expect different results.

If this would be deemed as an excuse to stop worrrying about CO2 then we are in a sad state indeed because who is to say when sun spot intensity would return to "normal" or increase beyond our normal observations?

19. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Climate change in graphs:

Atmospheric CO2 concentrations:
    [​IMG]

Global temperature averages:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glacier retreat calibrated temperatures
    [​IMG]

Solar cycle variations:
    [​IMG]

Any questions?

20. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typical questions would be: Show the methodology used to derive the data, how, where, when (season), and who did the measurements, what was their background and qualifications, who funded the study, etc.

Also:

"The conference will feature internationally recognized speakers from Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, and Europe. Carbon Sense has registered 10 delegates from Australia and New Zealand, and several other individual delegates and scientists from Australia and New Zealand will attend.

For more information on the conference see: http://www.heartland.org/NewYork08/newyork08.cfm

The chairman of Carbon Sense, Mr. Viv Forbes, said the conference would highlight the fact that a large number of eminently qualified scientists all over the world are rejecting the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) proposition that human emissions of carbon dioxide have caused or will cause dangerous global warming."

Global Warming to Take a Cold Shower in New York

And:

"It is the greatest scam in history. I am amazed, appalled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; It is a SCAM. Some dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives manipulated long term scientific data to create in [sic] allusion of rapid global warming. Other scientists of the same environmental whacko type jumped into the circle to support and broaden the "research" to further enhance the totally slanted, bogus global warming claims. Their friends in government steered huge research grants their way to keep the movement going. Soon they claimed to be a consensus.

Environmental extremists, notable politicians among them, then teamed up with movie, media and other liberal, environmentalist journalists to create this wild "scientific" scenario of the civilization threatening environmental consequences from Global Warming unless we adhere to their radical agenda. Now their ridiculous manipulated science has been accepted as fact and become a cornerstone issue for CNN, CBS, NBC, the Democratic Political Party, the Governor of California, school teachers and, in many cases, well informed but very gullible environmental conscientious citizens. Only one reporter at ABC has been allowed to counter the Global Warming frenzy with one 15 minutes documentary segment. ​

[...]​

I have read dozens of scientific papers. I have talked with numerous scientists. I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct. There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril. I am incensed by the incredible media glamour, the politically correct silliness and rude dismissal of counter arguments by the high priest of Global Warming. ​

In time, a decade or two, the outrageous scam will be obvious. "​