1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

forget the maximum, what's the minimum MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, May 9, 2006.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I know that everyon's talking about how they beat 60 MPG and stuff, but what's the worst that your prii can perform? I mean.. if it tries to be a gas guzzler, and if you don't care about the optimized driving experience, how low can you go? I'm just curious.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Clearly it would be 0 mpg.

Turn it on and walk away. Eventually it will run out of gas :)

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ May 9 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]252499[/snapback]</div>
    Well, my wife has managed to get a 29 MPG tank average in the middle of winter. But that's with lots of short trips in 20 degree weather. Right now she's getting 38 MPG, but again, she mainly makes short trips. Whenever she drives more than 5 minutes, she get's lots of 5-minute bars above 50 MPG on the Consumption screen, but most of her trips are 5 minutes or less and that really kills the gas milage.

(I get 53 MPG, but most of my trips are 30 minutes long)

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So far I've always been above 40, but I know someone who normally gets 39 at best.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ May 9 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]252499[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius doesn't have to try. That's all it can do.

[​IMG]

The 50mpg of gasoline that I'm averaging is bad enough!

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you remember the Hummer type of vehicle on The Simpsons that got "1 highway, 0 city"! :p

Tom

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd like to say Canyonero, but the one you are referring to was Ranier Wolfcastle's new vehicle. It was 1.5 lanes wide. The Canyonero at least fit in the lane.

Nate

The worst my car can get is about 25 MPG. This is under drag racing conditions. It's impossible to maintain, though, eventually your foot gets tired.

Nate

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My worst was a 39 mpg tank. I was doing alot of little trips and was very agitated (ie; jack rabbit starts, speeding, passing, gunning it) The agitated period was not for the whole tank but I figure that I would not be able to correct it enough.

Mostly I am mid 40's. I blame the 2-3 mile trips in La Mesa, a hilly section of SD county. On trips I've gotten high 40s and low 50s without much effort.

9. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

Wife is getting about 36-39 avg. Mostly short 5 minute runs to town and errands which give one bar at like 27mpg,, mixed with some longer driving.. I have been driving it a bit and I am beginning to surmise that the so-called stages 1 and 2 which are supposed to be controlled by engine temperature are actually time-driven. I can stop the car after 20-30 minutes of driving with recent bars at 50+/- and go right back to 25-30mpg on the first bar after restart 5 minutes later. Car goes right into ICE mode and stays there. No way the CAT has cooled off. If that's really whats happening, that's some pretty poor software.

10. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

My worst was a 35mpg one way trip. That was doing 85mph up I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff trying to beat the clock for a family member in the hospital. (It's at least a six thousand feet elevation rise, I think)

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My son got 39 on one run. I did not let him have it for a full tank!

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    40mpg was my worst tank. That was during winter and me trying to spin the car out and testing out the traction control as well when the rare snow falls.

13. gordonr

gordonr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ May 9 2006, 10:30 PM) [snapback]252546[/snapback]</div>
    I've noticed the same thing. The only way I've found around this is to not shutoff the car (if it's safe to do this). Just put it in park, and turn off all the stuff that uses electricity that you can manage while stopped.

The worst mileage we have seen was about 38 mpg on a highway only trip with a loaded car full of stuff and 4 passengers plus a roof rack with 2 bike and loaded Thule cargo box plus two bike on a rear hitch rack. In the dead of winter we have also seen 36 mpg for periods of time, but never had an overall tankful come out less than 40 mpg.

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been waiting for someone to post this.

I've seen 39mpg average once. I'm in San Jose, California.

I'm starting to get into the 50's.

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My worst full tank was around 37. Negative temps all week, parking outside, short trips, heat on full blast due to ice on windshield.

Nate

16. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Funny this should come up now... I'm sitting at 33 mpg for my current tank with about 70 miles on it. Trouble is, I've been driving to work. It's only about a mile away, and there's a train track overpass between home and work, so the Prius gets to struggle up a steep hill for 1/4 of the trip. I think I could get under 30 if I never went anywhere else. But I'm sure before this tank ends I'll have to drive somewhere that's miles away and ruin my "record"...

(For comparison -- my Audi A8 gets about 12 mpg under similar conditions.)

17. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At my dealer's open house for new owners, their master tech said he had a couple who were complaining of getting only 12 miles per gallon. When they brought it in to be checked, he walked out to the car and the engine came on. Turns out they ignored the salesman's "here's how it works" spiel at delivery and never looked at the manual. They didn't know you should use the power button. The car had been on for more than a week and I don't remember how many tanks of gas he said!

- Tom

18. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

as above, you get 0 if you just start up and sit. I got pretty close in a traffic jam with ac going,
    about 3 hours to go 8 miles. I think it came out to about 15 mpg. Temps were close to 100 deg.

Winter in regular short commutes, temps below 0 deg F I have gotton down to 35 mpg.

Last winter was warm so I was able to stay above 45 always, but using my block heater and radiator blocks.

Worst in summer is right around 50 mpg except for traffic jam above.
    And then only that low if I am in a rush and drive 70 to 75 somewhere.

My normal summer driving mpg is around 55 to 57 mpg if going over 25 miles. My best so far was 59 mpg for a whole tank. But with heavy AC usage this can drop to like typical 53 to 54 mpg.

I have done some round trips at over 70 mpg if I work at it and stay under 42 mph.

19. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ May 9 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]252529[/snapback]</div>
    If my memory serves me, I believe the jingle went a little something like this:

"Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
    Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?
    Canyonero! Canyonero!
    Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down
    It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown
    Canyonero! Canyonero!
    Hey, hey!
    Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,
    Sixty five tons of American pride!
    Canyonero! Canyonero!
    Top of the line in utility sports,
    Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
    Canyonero! Canyonero!
    She blinds everybody with her super high beams
    She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine
    Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!
    Whoa, Canyonero! Whoa!"

There you go, two lanes wide :)

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :huh: I actually got as low as 39.584 MPG on one tank. WHY? That "fill" the nozzle did not cutoff and my Prius "spit up" gasolene.