1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forgot to ask how many use non factory remote start and

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cindyh1, Mar 12, 2012.

1. cindyh1

cindyh1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    any heads up on which brands work best. I have never had one but i know they have their advantages if it will work well with the Prius.. any advice..

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the Viper unit. I works from 1 mile away using a FOB and from anywhere in the world using a smartphone. It will also let the car run up to 60 minutes.

The OEM remote start only works from 150 feet and will run for 10 minute 2 times. Then it will not start the car.

3. cindyh1

cindyh1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks, i appreciate it.. didn't know any worked with a cell but i should have figured...

4. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    removed

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the Viper 5901 and I added Viper Smart Start so I can start it with my Android phone.

Viper 5901 Responder LC3 Security/Remote Start System and Geek Squad Installation

Viper VSM200 SmartStart Module for Viper Electronic Security Systems and Geek Squad Installation

I think you get 1 year free and then it is $119.99 for a 3 year agreement. I do not have the GPS version.

I recommend having Best Buy install it. I tried to have a local alarm place install it and they could not figure it out. I called Direct Electronics and they told me Best Buy has a great database of cars and they document what it takes to make it work.

Mine works perfect. I have to set to autolock the doors 20 seconds after they shut. When I remote start the car it turns the auto headlights off. Also if I put the device in Pittstop mode (keeps car running and locks door) the lights turn off.

6. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    removed

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can carry just one FOB. You can use either FOB to lock and unlock the car. You can use the Viper FOB to remote start the car but when you get in it turns off. In order to start the car in normal mode the OEM FOB must be present.

Knowing this, you can make it work for you based on how you drive the car.