1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forgot to shift out of B-mode before entering Freeway

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nemrut, Aug 24, 2009.

1. nemrut

nemrut New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drove for a good 2-3mi at 60-65mph before noticing i was still in B-mode.

Did I screw up my Engine?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the best of my knowledge, it should only waste a bit of energy from your glides. If you didn't have any glide or coast opportunities, it should have done absolutely nothing.

3. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, of course not. Don't worry. You only hindered your MPG at the moment, nothing more ;).

EDIT: Patsparks is right, I didn't notice you were going 60mph or more. So absolutely no harm at all ;).

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No harm done. I even doubt you affected your fuel consumption very much if at all. At 60 to 65 miles per hour you don't take your foot off the accelerator much at all.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Inept dealer story
    After having driven the prius for two days I started using the b mode but had no Idea how to turn it off-get out of it, used it twice and both times I wasn't about to start moving that lever around while moving, thinking about a regular car;s transmission locking into reverse at speed and the resultant deceleration, err tyre squealing stop... so I would stop and turn off the car anr restart, well twice anyway, called the dealer, got the salesman, and the mf, laughed at me, I'll go see him again for my next car, not

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a good article on B mode:
    http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html
    With this quote: The difference betwen "D" and "B" only appears during decelerative coasting [no pedals pressed at all] or actual braking. When accelerating or just maintaining speed, "D" and "B" produce the same behavior.

1 person likes this.
  7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I so disagree
    in the owners Manuel it says don't spend more thime than you have to in b mode or you will over heat the part that is b moding

when I use b mode I immediatly start to slow down, from friction, and I hear a noise that get's louded the longer I'm in b mode
    not flaming you, just not letting misinformation get thru

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe you may be reading more into the manual than it actually says.

Here are my thoughts.
    1)Don't use B-mode--Unless you are routinely going down very long (3-4 miles) steep (6% grade or greater) and topping off the battery while doing so to the point that you no longer recapture energy with regenerative braking. I dare say there are very few of us who do that.

2)You did no harm and the first reply is accurate and the quoted reply is inaccurate. When you have your foot on the go Pedal B-mode is identical to D-mode. Only when you lift your foot off is there any difference and that is that you engage engine braking as well as greater regenerative braking/coasting.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, this is not how B mode works. B mode does not increase friction braking, but uses the ICE as an air pump to throw away excess energy.

Tom

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To expand, it uses the ICE as an air pump with no fuel flow when you foot is off of the accelerator. Once you push the accelerator B-mode is identical to Drive.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The only other consequence to B-mode is increased engine idle time at a stop, wasting more fuel.

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use it about once or twice a year. I needed it to go down this small hill last weekend:

[​IMG]

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need a parachute for that hill.

Tom

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It has a 1 1/2 lane paved road that is at least a 7% grade and if you missed a turn, you wouldn't stop until you reached the American River. :D

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP I woud simply say:

No, I don't think you screwed up your engine. However, as you already know this is operational behavior you want to avoid.

There have been numerous threads on "B" mode. Which kind of tells me Toyota needs to clarify how it should be used, and what it is actually doing. Too many people just don't seem to really understand it's operation and intended use.

I watched a Youtube video review, that was posted here, where a Toyota "expert" refered to "B" mode as "Battery".

When you buy the automobile you'll be lucky if the salesman really knows what "B" mode is all about.

Toyota has so many great instructional videos on so many aspects of The Prius, a clear, definitive short instructional on what "B" mode is all about would certainly be helpful to a lot of people.

My understanding born mostly out of reading threads here at Prius Chat, is that it's intended use is much like a Jake Brake on a truck. That is for coming down off a large incline. I think it maximizes regenerative brakeing and slows momentum. Exactly how it is doing that is somewhat a mystery even to me at this point. I've heard it's using the engine, it's NOT using the engine, it uses the brakes, it "changes" the brake input...

As best I can tell reading the posted information it's mostly a Jake Brake like operation, using the engine to slow the vehicle.

It becomes confusing only because it's a unique mode for an automobile and it's a mode intended to be used for a very specific situation.

I live in Oregon, so it's not impossible that I could be in a driving situation that would benefit from use of "B" mode. Lot's of hills and mountains. But for city driving and majority of "regular" driving I don't think I'd even touch "B" mode.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its basic intent is to produce the braking from engine compression that a pre-hybrid gets when downshifting on a downhill grade. That part is not at all unique.

But because this is a hybrid, with new tricks in the toolbag, it also does more, and changes modes depending on circumstances. So, yes, these parts are unique.

1 person likes this.
  17. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like what you say, the timesI find myself on the highway in b mode. having forgotten to shift out of it, have been moments of, damn, did it again, and the way I find I'm in b mode is to put it in cruise control, which won't work in b mode, luckily, or it would be miles or hours before discovery

18. olisim

olisim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Greetings All,

I'm a new Prius owner and I use the "B" mode on a regular basis. However, I shift into and out of "B" mode while driving. So far, no ill effects, but I'm learning more about it.

Cheers - OS

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Care to explain why you do this? There aren't many situations where this would be advantageous.

Tom

20. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am amazed at the quantity of posts about B mode that do NOT understand what is going on.

When you slow down by coasting or light braking, regenerative braking charges the battery. On a long downhill, your battery will reach maximum capacity and when the computer won't allow more electricity in, you will have to use your mechanical brakes more.

B mode is for the Prius what a Jake brake is for a semi ... it turns your ICE into an air compressor. Driving the ICE as a compressor puts a lot of drag on the car ... slowing it down.

The noise you hear is nothing more than the ICE spinning up to about 4000 rpm ... with no fuel or spark ... and heavily slowing down the car. You can accelerate and/or control your downhill speed with the throttle just as you would in D. BUT, where you might use your brakes a lot in D, you might not use your brakes at all in B mode.

And, what is this thing about overheating something? Doesn't happen.

I am currently on a vacation trip through the Rockies. B mode will easily slow the car from 80 on a 6% or 7% grade ... without touching the mechanical brakes.