1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Formal lifestyle paper

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 8, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No paywall source: Veganism and body weight: An N of 1 self-experiment - ScienceDirect

Highlights
    • The effect of veganism on body weight was examined in an N = 1 self-experiment.
    • Weight loss occurred during vegan study periods.
    • Weight gain occurred during non-vegan study periods.
    • Mental health and food enjoyment were similar in vegan vs. non-vegan periods.
    Abstract
    The causal effect that veganism has on body weight has not been scientifically examined. An N of 1 self-experiment was conducted in which blinded body weight and additional behavioural and psychological measures were assessed during two phases of vegan vs. non-vegan lifestyle adherence. In study phase 1, body weight change was -0.8 kg over 1 month of veganism (vs. +0.5 kg non-vegan month). In study phase 2, weight change was -1.2 kg over two veganism months (vs. +1.6 kg non-vegan months). Behavioural and psychological measures were similar during vegan vs. non-vegan periods. Veganism appeared to reduce body weight in this N of 1 self-experiment.

Bob Wilson

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have an uneasy relationship with peskatarianism.
    I did it because of a desire to change my cholesterol balance, but I have to admit that I still eat and enjoy the HELL out of the flesh of other animals.

Now I just do it in moderation.

I did go 100-percent full-bull, vegan for a full 6-9 months and it DID move the needles on my cholesterol ratios.
    Or was it an increased number of three-closed circle days because of a new i-watch?

I still love pure Irish butter, a sizzling steak and real cream from real cows occasionally in my otherwise black and bitter cup of coffee.

Moderation allows me to savor those experiences as the exception rather than the rule.
    AND my numbers from a low cholesterol diet are in keeping with a proper juice-to-squeeze ratio over cholesterol fascism.

One of the running jokes in my family is that Vegans don't live longer.....it just SEEMS longer.

3. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am on a low salt, low fat diet for health reasons.

One of the education programs provided by the hospital was a Nutrition Class taught by a Certified Nutritionist. One of the comments she half-jokingly made to us was if the food you are eating taste good or has any flavor - spit it out- you shouldn't be eating it.
    This diet is a change that has taken years to get used to and still is a challenge - alcohol also discouraged. Forget eating out at fast food - the one guilty pleasure that meets the guidelines is a small order of Grilled Chicken Nuggets from Chic-fil-a.
    There is a reason all restaurant food taste so good almost none of the reasons are it is nutritionally good for us.

I think your comment about moderation is key for people.

4. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got it from a pretty good instruction manual from the manufacturer....
    "...Let your moderation be known to all men..."
    “.....Let all things be done decently and in order.”

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A journal publishing an unreplicated experiment that could easily be replicated more times and/or with more people? I honestly did not know that such things existed.

==
    I can unreplicatively report that if one goes no-meat for about 3 months, and then digs into a large beef roast, some needed enzymes have stopped getting produced. Due to lack of need would be a simple explanation. Anyway, memorable gastric dysfunction occurred. So don't switch lanes really fast, I guess.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm. I've been no-meat since just after college; it's been a few decades since the individual who talked me into it and I went separate ways, but I was already used to it by then.

She was more exclusively no-meat; me, I haven't always felt like making a scene if a host, say, has prepared meat. Therefore, I've been nearly exclusively no-meat, but with occasional unplanned lane changes.

For my part, I haven't noticed any reduction in my omnivore capacity, when put to the test.

7. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An interesting fact about eating out - in many restaurants (especially fast food pre packaged) even prepared salads are salted quite a bit.

If you aren't used to it you will taste it and surprisingly some restaurants salads actually exceed the daily recommendations for salt intake - something we would never expect.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I provided one data point on intermittent carnivory. @ChapmanF provided a second, with completely opposite results.

I hope no one is surprised. Small sample sizes are always problematical.

==
    Edited : now one -> no one. that 'w' seemed to nearly reverse my intended meaning. Ought to be more careful.

#8 tochatihu, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was amused by “N=1” even though sample size and selection often leads one to wonder about those so easily duped.

Bob Wilson

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was wondering if the Ignoble prizes were coming up. I had also gotten a little fed up with the commercials for diet supplements.

From the little I scanned, it paper sounds about right from other studies. It is hard to find an overweight vegetarian.

Bob Wilson

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Ig Nobel prizes are a mid-September thing (very soon), so new nominations would be for 2024.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Other, more active :D websites would refer to me being eclipsed in reply as being ninja-ed. But @fuzzy1 did not slit my throat, so I'm happy.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems there is some noticeable propagation delay in getting new postings distributed. It isn't uncommon at my end to be able to post a reply before a slightly earlier reply from someone else will get displayed on my screen.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    So I am un-ninjaed? No I don't want that. All yours.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I haven't been frequenting sites where it matters.

Under Einstein's relativity (recently in another thread), in a distributed world, this 'ninja-ing' is just going to happen, but different observers will produce different answers about who was actually 'first'. There is a cone of ambiguity.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    According to a 'where to retire?' website I have no interest in promoting, because they (figuratively) slit my throat after a few clickthroughs: external internet access from this Asian country is limited to 1 Mbps because of its great firewall.

Let me leave that topic for another time or elsewhere or never. I want non-firewalled posting-speed competitors to have an advantage.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While on this side of the grass, the challenge is to remain curious. Don't become 'brain dead' before the inevitable.

Bob Wilson

20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A fellow sailor once made that observation to me on a "hydrographic survey" ship.
    I explained to her that I always thought the reverse was true.
    In nature, most of the herbivores can be a little on the rotund side.

I remember making a bovine reference that did not go over very well..... :unsure:
    Probably not one of my more diplomatic moments but I was in my roaring twenties back then.