1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Former '06 Prius owner, now with Lexus SC430, has Prius envy again

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Pinto Girl, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, it's been a little while since I've frequented the Forum.

Formerly the owner of an '06 to which I'd added Touring wheels and lowered using TRD parts, I ended up buying my midlife crisis-mobile, a Lexus SC430. It's powerful and fancy, feels bigger than it is and heavy too, very luxurious and old fashioned in a way, gets a lot of respect on the road. Everything the Prius wasn't. Mileage is 27-30 on the highway, low 20s in the city, not bad for a car like that, but not good either, if you know what I mean.

Fast forward two or three years, and—I can't believe I'm admitting this—but I'm feeling the first tinges of Prius envy and am considering the purchase of an '11 Prius Five. I was never really happy with the way the GII Prius drove, no matter what I tried to do to it. I tend to expect too much, I think. But the GIII feels better to me.

It's only a tentative thing right now.

Anyhow, just taking a moment to say hello and do a bit of lurking. I hope it's possible to turn off the seatbelt chime and back up beeper, that'll probably be the first piece of research I perform here.

Curious about thoughts of anyone here who's owned a GII and drives a GIII now. Good things? Bad things? I'm not sure about the flying buttress center console thingie, but too early to come to any conclusions. The GIII sure looks nice on the road, though, especially with the 17" wheels.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome back. A lot has changed since you left. Crocs are out of style and we have a black president.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How can you post in the Newby forum? You're not a Newby! :madgrin:

P.S. Welcome back. :)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome back! (I thought you had a Miata for some reason. Must've been another PriusChatter).

Well there are a lot I like about the Gen 3 over the Gen 2. First and foremost.. no more bladder!! whohoo!!

There's also all the new technology (both standard and optional). It's much better in the winter (though in California, it might not mean much). I found the seats more comfortable (esp. with the adjustable lumbar support) and I think the front seats are a bit wider (I recall a more restrictive shoulder bolster in the Gen 2). The engine is less noisy under hard acceleration than the old 1.5 litre (do not know if it's because it sounds better, it's better insulated under the hood or there's more sound insulation in the cabin). There's more cargo space (wider, deeper and taller under the tonneau cover) and cool LED headlights (on the Five). The solar roof is nice even this far north. Rarely use the Remote A/C (might be more useful further south where you are).

Bad things?

- hate the loss of the door pockets (just a bottle holder now)
    - loss of some climate control buttons on the steering wheel (there's still TEMP and recirc but we lose the defroster buttons)
    - loss of the hidden drawer

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But unfortunately Ugg boots are still in style.

Welcome back Pinto Girl. :)

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great to have you back.

7. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Never "owned" a GenII - but rented them regularly in anticipation of ownership. I bought my GenIII Prius Five with the Advanced Technology Package. Looks great, rides great, roomy, comfortable, good performance, great gas mileage. Thought I would hate the center console too, but it is OK ... Not bad actually.  

I really love my car.

Rent a 2010 (or 2011) for a weekend ( or a week) from Toyota Rent a Car and see for yourself. Then try to test drive a Prius Five.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is a list of settings that can be changed at the buyer's request by the dealer. The beeps can be changed to "single beep". Verify the dealer's policy on free changes before buying.

I don't like that the 2010 was "defeatured". Backup camera is now part of the nav. 3 door SKS only available on the top of the line. Space under the deck is smaller. The beanbag mount slides around on the curved dash. The fog lights are useless but I keep them on since I paid for them.

After a year I don't miss the door pockets & don't mind the flying buttress. The Multi Information Display doesn't look as nice as the MFD but having the data & nav available is a plus.

I stopped listening to the radio when I plugged in my USB drive. The Pre Collision System, Lane Keep Assist & Radar Cruise Control are useful. Intelligent Park Assist is more of a gimmick. The LED headlights are a great improvement. The heated seats are now useful.

The handling is better. I can turn corners at 30mph & 50psi. VSC kicks in only when I'm running over storm grates--without the ECU reflash.

FE is more stable. I still don't have a 60mpg tank but it's easier to get the high 50's. In cooler temps (50's) the 2010 gets better FE than the 2006.

9. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have already had them set the backup to single beep (done free of charge and PDQ by my service rep).

What is "3 door SKS"?

Out of curiosity, why do you consider the fog lamps to be useless?

The LED self-leveling headlights provide excellent lighting. The heated seats are a new treat for my wife and I. It is like having a built-in heating pad for you back:)

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd definitely be looking at a Prius Five, '11. Wondering if there will be a plug in version in '12, no rush, could wait another year. Plug in/a better traction battery would be sweet, worth waiting for.

I'm a little scared that, like the GII, I'll be feeling like a new Prius hasn't got quite enough performance and handling, but if even C/D and Automobile can tolerate the Five, perhaps there's hope.

Also worried a bit about the lack of respect on the road I noticed now and again in my '06. The Lexus is spectacular in this regard, has so much presence that if I even begin to encroach on the car in front of me, the driver will often change to another lane (I think it's the DRLs and the shape of the headlights at night, not sure though). I try to be careful about that. And no one ever tails me, if I'm in one of the middle lanes on the freeway and they want to go faster, they probably assume that I'm too self centered to even notice, and figure out how to get around me.

The lights on the Lexus are great, they swivel when the steering wheel is turned and I like that very much. Illumination is very good, too, without blinding oncoming traffic. More than one passenger has commented on it. I also like how the nav screen and stereo gear (the latter with two old fashioned round knobs, one on each side of the display, no less) are covered by electrically operated wood panels that match the rest of the dash, so I don't have to look at the gizmos all the time. It makes the interior seem very simple.

Renting is a great idea. I need time to wring it out a bit and see what I think. I read that the Five has a steering rack with a different ratio, that'd be a nice thing. I'll let y'all know how it progresses and what I decide.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, I still think that mumbo-jumbo is all in your head. The truth is, nobody cares what you drive.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm tellin' ya, it's true. I couldn't believe it at first. I didn't want to believe it at first. But I've since come to like it, if you want to know the truth.

I hope you're right though. I don't want there to be people out there who choose certain others to bully, based upon something so silly as one's choice in automobiles.

Two observations which support your belief: the Lexus has a big, tall trunk and a small rear window, and cars don't seem nearly as imposing if they do get close. Also, all three mirrors reduce headlight glare automatically at night (the GII had only a rear view mirror which performed this function) another feature which contributes to cars behind me seeming less imposing.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your introspection is doing you a disservice. Youre overthinking. Yes you have a lot of emotions and are easily piqued on the road, but nobody is exerting effort to make you feel that way.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right about that. I'm my own best friend...and worst enemy.

15. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I notice you didn't mention the fart can on the Prius??? :)

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wouldn't Lexus CT200h be better for you?

1 person likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I found that, for me, the division of the rear window of the Prius was just the right height to block the head lights of a tailgating car. And if I don't see your head lights, you don't exist. I'm pretty good at ignoring annoyances in general.

Learning to drive in New Jersey probably also helped.

How are your side mirrors set? When set to look into the blind spot, with little to none of your car's side visible, head light glare was reduced.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    YES! The exact same thing happens to me too.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, the fart can. You know, it was a good piece. It got a bit louder over time but only at idle, on the freeway or under acceleration the car didn't seem louder than before. Even with all the windows open, I couldn't hear anything except wind and tire noise. I kept the chrome muffler really shiny as long as I owned the car, even waxed it once. And the chrome tip seemed like it was well made, didn't rust or discolor.

I have to say, I really like cars with rear wheel drive. And a V8. And independent suspension all the way around. And with enough power where the transmission never has to downshift, even when accelerating on long steep hills. If I have to start driving more I'd probably change my tune quickly, but right now it's not an issue.

I'd actually consider, if my situation does change again, the purchase of the cheapest Yaris I can get. That way I could keep the midlife crisis mobile for...well, for I don't know what. Those fantasy trips to wine country with Mr. Right that I never have gotten around to taking, and likely never will.

The Lexus hybrid is not my thing, I like the four door plus hatch Prius, not so fond of four doors and a trunk. The Prius seems more pure to me, too, which I like a lot. If I get another hybrid, it'll definitely be a Prius.

The biggest thing I miss is the HSD, for all its imperfections. It was so smooth and seamless. Right after I bought the SC, I started it up, and the engine was at fast idle, and I shifted into reverse, and...woah, nellie!

At that instant I thought, "Oh, yes, I remember this, having to press on the brake harder when the engine is cold since it's running faster and that extra power has no place to go."

Viscerally, I like the SC430 very much. It's a pleasure to hand wash and wax, too. I'm spending way too much on Zaino products. Sometimes I go to the garage and just look at it.

But did I drive it today? Nope, rode my bike to the post office, bank, coffee shop for a pound of beans and then a meeting. In the rain...

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The fob in the pocket opens the hatch & front passenger door. This was standard on the Gen2.

I haven't noticed any differences with the fogs on or off. Same thing when I had the 2000 Intrigue.

Very many years ago when I was repainting my 1975 Pontiac LeMans I'd be commuting with various amounts of primer showing. I noticed that I got more space on the highway.